New feature in Nautilus

12

New feature in Nautilus

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Hello guys :)

I just wanted to show you the new feature I just finished to implement into Nautilus: the multi methods edition

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/MultiMethods.mov

The video is quite short (1min) but it will be integrated soon in the image so ;)

Some explanation:
        - now you can "pin" a text area, it will "freeze" the context, so you can edit it and save it without problems
        - you can have a many as wanted
        - the scroll pane is a bit clever to always keep the maximum size for the current edition (but there are splitters, so you can set it as you want)
        - you can "unpin" a text area, and it closes it (to add: check if there are pending changes)
        - the glitch about the color is the video has been fixed already (but I am too lazy to make another video ^^)
        - the frozen area get a help text which tells the method the source code comes from
        - the corresponding button have the same help text
        - clicking on the button jump to the method

I hope you will enjoy it, and as usual if you have cool ideas, let me know ;)

Ben

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

Hernan Wilkinson-3
hey, that pretty cool! It would be great if you could press a button or something and have a diff between the methods :-)

--
Hernán Wilkinson
Agile Software Development, Teaching & Coaching
Address: Paraguay 523, Floor 7 N, Buenos Aires, Argentina

Re: New feature in Nautilus

Stuart Herring-2
Excellent!

Any chance of having a vertical split instead of horizontal though?

Regards,
Stuart

http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

Ben

this is gorgeous :)
simply gorgeous.
This opens a lot of possibilities.

> I hope you will enjoy it, and as usual if you have cool ideas, let me know ;)
of course I do :)
        - I imagine that we will be able to have multiple methods not compiled so the red border/corner should be more important.
        - Now may be when a method is pinned down we should get a slight grey background.
        - right clicking on a method could open and pin automatically a method.
        - I should try it.
                one important point is to now where a free (non pinned method will show up)
        - may be we should use the coral syntax for methods
        or add decoration so that we know in which class the method belongs to
                Point>>extent:
                        [
                        ]
        because the help text is not that efficient to show the location

- may be t would be good to have a way not to open extra methods when we have already 3 or 4 but to replace a free one.

Stef

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ben

this is gorgeous :)
simply gorgeous.
This opens a lot of possibilities.

> I hope you will enjoy it, and as usual if you have cool ideas, let me know ;)
of course I do :)
        - I imagine that we will be able to have multiple methods not compiled so the red border/corner should be more important.
        - Now may be when a method is pinned down we should get a slight grey background.
        - right clicking on a method could open and pin automatically a method.
        - I should try it.
                one important point is to now where a free (non pinned method will show up)
        - may be we should use the coral syntax for methods
        or add decoration so that we know in which class the method belongs to
                Point>>extent:
                        [
                        ]
        because the help text is not that efficient to show the location

- I would also love different display layouts to choose: horizontal, vertical, rows/columns, etc :)

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

Erwan Douaille
It looks cool !

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

--
Best regards,

Douaille Erwan <[hidden email]>

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

EstebanLM

On Aug 6, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> - I would also love different display layouts to choose: horizontal, vertical, rows/columns, etc :)

tabs :)

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Tabs do not make sense since they do not allow to see multiple method at the same time
I know you are in love with tabs, but not for this ;)

Ben

On Aug 6, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> - I would also love different display layouts to choose: horizontal, vertical, rows/columns, etc :)
>
> tabs :)

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

EstebanLM
They don't make sense for you (and Mariano), but they make perfectly sense for me :)
In fact, scrolling window also hides methods, so... what's the problem? I would prefer to have most of my methods in tabs, just because I want to edit all together... not because I want to see them at the same time (btw, a "save all button" wold be great too).
And yes, I know there is groups for that... but I hate groups and, as you say, I love tabs... so... give me tabs and just don't use them yourself! :P

Esteban

On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Tabs do not make sense since they do not allow to see multiple method at the same time
> I know you are in love with tabs, but not for this ;)
>
> Ben
>

> On Aug 6, 2012, at 11:25 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:
>

>> On Aug 6, 2012, at 11:10 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> - I would also love different display layouts to choose: horizontal, vertical, rows/columns, etc :)
>>
>> tabs :)

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

Pavel Krivanek-3
'Create group window' in window menu is not good for you?

-- Pavel

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They don't make sense for you (and Mariano), but they make perfectly sense for me :)
> In fact, scrolling window also hides methods, so... what's the problem? I would prefer to have most of my methods in tabs, just because I want to edit all together... not because I want to see them at the same time (btw, a "save all button" wold be great too).
> And yes, I know there is groups for that... but I hate groups and, as you say, I love tabs... so... give me tabs and just don't use them yourself! :P
>
> Esteban
>
> On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Tabs do not make sense since they do not allow to see multiple method at the same time
>> I know you are in love with tabs, but not for this ;)
>>
>> Ben

>>> tabs :)

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

EstebanLM
ok... since Mariano says that I need to be more clear, I will try to explain why I want tabs as a layout:

being capable of have many methods opened in a browser allows more use-cases that just visualize them together. At least, that functionality allow us to *edit* them together, something that is very important to me (even more than see them). Right now, I solve this by opening several browsers, but If I can have a tabbed layout, I can group them in an unique browser and edit all of them together. Yes, I know, I could do it also with current layout...
And I'm not asking to replace current layout with a tab layout... I just ask to, in case you add different layouts, add one tab-layout too (for us the tab lovers :)
that's all

Esteban

On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> They don't make sense for you (and Mariano), but they make perfectly sense for me :)
> In fact, scrolling window also hides methods, so... what's the problem? I would prefer to have most of my methods in tabs, just because I want to edit all together... not because I want to see them at the same time (btw, a "save all button" wold be great too).
> And yes, I know there is groups for that... but I hate groups and, as you say, I love tabs... so... give me tabs and just don't use them yourself! :P
>
> Esteban
>
> On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Tabs do not make sense since they do not allow to see multiple method at the same time
>> I know you are in love with tabs, but not for this ;)
>>
>> Ben

>>> tabs :)

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

Erwan Douaille
I'm a tab lover too and i think Esteban's idea is cool.

Visualize a lot of methods code is cool but visualize it in a 200@200 morph dimension is for me impossible. In this case tab is a good solution.

Now you also get my point of view :)

(And tabs can also be a good idea for workspace ... sometimes i open at least than 4 of them and it just can be cool to regroup them in 1 window)

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Erwan Douaille <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm a tab lover too and i think Esteban's idea is cool.
>
> Visualize a lot of methods code is cool but visualize it in a 200@200 morph
> dimension is for me impossible. In this case tab is a good solution.
>
> Now you also get my point of view :)
>
> (And tabs can also be a good idea for workspace ... sometimes i open at
> least than 4 of them and it just can be cool to regroup them in 1 window)

But in Pharo 2.0 you can make tabs from any kind of windows including
Workspaces - go to the window menu and click on 'Create window group'.

-- Pavel

> 2012/8/6 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>>
>> ok... since Mariano says that I need to be more clear, I will try to
>> explain why I want tabs as a layout:
>>
>> being capable of have many methods opened in a browser allows more
>> use-cases that just visualize them together. At least, that functionality
>> allow us to *edit* them together, something that is very important to me
>> (even more than see them). Right now, I solve this by opening several
>> browsers, but If I can have a tabbed layout, I can group them in an unique
>> browser and edit all of them together. Yes, I know, I could do it also with
>> current layout...
>> And I'm not asking to replace current layout with a tab layout... I just
>> ask to, in case you add different layouts, add one tab-layout too (for us
>> the tab lovers :)
>> that's all
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>> On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > They don't make sense for you (and Mariano), but they make perfectly
>> > sense for me :)
>> > In fact, scrolling window also hides methods, so... what's the problem?
>> > I would prefer to have most of my methods in tabs, just because I want to
>> > edit all together... not because I want to see them at the same time (btw, a
>> > "save all button" wold be great too).
>> > And yes, I know there is groups for that... but I hate groups and, as
>> > you say, I love tabs... so... give me tabs and just don't use them yourself!
>> > :P
>> >
>> > Esteban

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Douaille Erwan <[hidden email]>

Re: [Pharo-users] New feature in Nautilus

EstebanLM
yes, but the usability is still poor for this case (IMHO), I want t tabs in the code panel, not a complete tabbed window with multiple browsers :)
(I'm using window groups for workspaces, and for that it works great :)

2012/8/6 Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]>
On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Erwan Douaille <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm a tab lover too and i think Esteban's idea is cool.
>
> Visualize a lot of methods code is cool but visualize it in a 200@200 morph
> dimension is for me impossible. In this case tab is a good solution.
>
> Now you also get my point of view :)
>
> (And tabs can also be a good idea for workspace ... sometimes i open at
> least than 4 of them and it just can be cool to regroup them in 1 window)

But in Pharo 2.0 you can make tabs from any kind of windows including
Workspaces - go to the window menu and click on 'Create window group'.

Thanks ! (Still working on Moose for the moment so i didn't see changes on 2.0) . I just try it and get the same functionality can be cool for nautilus :)

-- Pavel

> 2012/8/6 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>>
>> ok... since Mariano says that I need to be more clear, I will try to
>> explain why I want tabs as a layout:
>>
>> being capable of have many methods opened in a browser allows more
>> use-cases that just visualize them together. At least, that functionality
>> allow us to *edit* them together, something that is very important to me
>> (even more than see them). Right now, I solve this by opening several
>> browsers, but If I can have a tabbed layout, I can group them in an unique
>> browser and edit all of them together. Yes, I know, I could do it also with
>> current layout...
>> And I'm not asking to replace current layout with a tab layout... I just
>> ask to, in case you add different layouts, add one tab-layout too (for us
>> the tab lovers :)
>> that's all
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>> On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:28 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > They don't make sense for you (and Mariano), but they make perfectly
>> > sense for me :)
>> > In fact, scrolling window also hides methods, so... what's the problem?
>> > I would prefer to have most of my methods in tabs, just because I want to
>> > edit all together... not because I want to see them at the same time (btw, a
>> > "save all button" wold be great too).
>> > And yes, I know there is groups for that... but I hate groups and, as
>> > you say, I love tabs... so... give me tabs and just don't use them yourself!
>> > :P
>> >
>> > Esteban

> --
> Best regards,
>
> Douaille Erwan <[hidden email]>

--
Best regards,

Douaille Erwan <[hidden email]>

Re: New feature in Nautilus

Ben Coman
Stuart Herring wrote:
> Excellent!
>
> Any chance of having a vertical split instead of horizontal though?
>
> Regards,
> Stuart

And an option to do a diff between two vertical split texts

> On 6 August 2012 09:48, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello guys :)
>>
>> I just wanted to show you the new feature I just finished to implement into Nautilus: the multi methods edition
>>
>> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/MultiMethods.mov
>>
>> The video is quite short (1min) but it will be integrated soon in the image so ;)
>>
>> Some explanation:
>>         - now you can "pin" a text area, it will "freeze" the context, so you can edit it and save it without problems
>>         - you can have a many as wanted
>>         - the scroll pane is a bit clever to always keep the maximum size for the current edition (but there are splitters, so you can set it as you want)
>>         - you can "unpin" a text area, and it closes it (to add: check if there are pending changes)
>>         - the glitch about the color is the video has been fixed already (but I am too lazy to make another video ^^)
>>         - the frozen area get a help text which tells the method the source code comes from
>>         - the corresponding button have the same help text
>>         - clicking on the button jump to the method
>>
>> I hope you will enjoy it, and as usual if you have cool ideas, let me know ;)
>>
>> Ben

Re: New feature in Nautilus

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
This feature is cooool! And +1 on the "tabbed code pane" request.

Ben Coman wrote
And an option to do a diff between two vertical split texts
Being able to do a diff on a vertical split would be great for creating new Metacello versions. Right now, you have to overwrite the last version and use MC changes, remembering to fix the overwritten version before committing and it's a PITA!

Cheers,
Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: New feature in Nautilus

abergel
> This feature is cooool! And +1 on the "tabbed code pane" request.

+1

Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: New feature in Nautilus

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
Ok, even if I do not really like to be gentle with Esteban, here is a new version :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/24369478/MultipleEditors2.mov

Ben

On Aug 6, 2012, at 4:03 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> This feature is cooool! And +1 on the "tabbed code pane" request.
>

> +1
>
> Alexandre

12