New header for default Aida style

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Yesterday Janja designed a first version of new header for default
WebStyle as part of every Aida distribution and which is seen after Aida
is installed and run for the first time. Something like that on Nico's demo:

        http://demo.bioskop.fr/wiki/wiki.html

So, how do you like it, what do you think about slogan part, are two
slogans  good or maybe too much at once, etc.

Thanks for your comments in advance

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: New header for default Aida style

david54
- I think you should only have one slogan
- Both slogans ("AiDing the WeB" or "This is HOW the Web Works!") just make me go ???.  What is the primary message you want to send?
- You should pick one way to spell AIDA and use it consistently.  Is it AIDA, AIDAweb or AIDA/Scribo (all on Nico's site).
- I found AIDA by looking for CMS implementations, so I may be biased - but how are you going to promote Scribo?  If its going to be a more or less standard part of all AIDA deployments, should it get a mention in the header?

David Pennell wrote:
> - I think you should only have one slogan
> - Both slogans ("AiDing the WeB" or "This is HOW the Web Works!") just
> make me go ???.  What is the primary message you want to send?

I'm also leaning towards one slogan only, and towards "This is how the
web works". How this one sounds to you?

> - You should pick one way to spell AIDA and use it consistently.  Is it
> AIDA, AIDAweb or AIDA/Scribo (all on Nico's site).

Agree, here we have the confusion. There are long names AIDA/Web and
AIDA/Scribo, to show that those are two products of the same family.
Also both logos are similar to show that similarity. This is like in
case of Plone/Zope.

Aida and Scribo are then short names, for everyday talk.

AIDAweb and AIDAscribo are just for logo design.

If we use names that way consistently I think the confusion will be
smaller if non-existent.

> - I found AIDA by looking for CMS implementations, so I may be biased -
> but how are you going to promote Scribo?  If its going to be a more or
> less standard part of all AIDA deployments, should it get a mention in
> the header?

First, this header is for Aida, not for Scribo. Scribo header is coming
later and will be different, based on Scribo logo.

Scribo marketing, well, this is still to be thought out. We are not good
enough in promotion of Aida, so don't mention Scribo yet :)

But when Scribo will succeed as CMS of choice outside Smalltalk
community, well, then we will probably start promoting it more
independently of Aida.

But for now the main audience are still Smalltalkers. Yet this not mean
that we won't need to take care about "power" users immediately. And
these don't like to program until needed as well. So, web based
configuration is our first mid-term goal for now.

Janko

PS.: How did you find AIDA by looking CMS implementations?

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]> wrote:
David Pennell wrote:
> - I think you should only have one slogan
> - Both slogans ("AiDing the WeB" or "This is HOW the Web Works!") just
> make me go ???.  What is the primary message you want to send?

I'm also leaning towards one slogan only, and towards "This is how the
web works". How this one sounds to you?

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.  It also sounds pretty passive.  I'd think about something that emphasizes how AIDA brings value - either thru empowering web application developers or delivering superior applications or both.

> - You should pick one way to spell AIDA and use it consistently.  Is it
> AIDA, AIDAweb or AIDA/Scribo (all on Nico's site).

Agree, here we have the confusion. There are long names AIDA/Web and
AIDA/Scribo, to show that those are two products of the same family.
Also both logos are similar to show that similarity. This is like in
case of Plone/Zope.

Aida and Scribo are then short names, for everyday talk.

AIDAweb and AIDAscribo are just for logo design.

If we use names that way consistently I think the confusion will be
smaller if non-existent.

> - I found AIDA by looking for CMS implementations, so I may be biased -
> but how are you going to promote Scribo?  If its going to be a more or
> less standard part of all AIDA deployments, should it get a mention in
> the header?

First, this header is for Aida, not for Scribo. Scribo header is coming
later and will be different, based on Scribo logo.

Scribo marketing, well, this is still to be thought out. We are not good
enough in promotion of Aida, so don't mention Scribo yet :)

I assume that this header is only used for 1-click demo images and maybe some intranet web sites where folks don't care about branding.  External applications will certainly use their own header.  I wonder if you really want to have two different 1-click images - one for AIDA and one for Scribo.  That just might dilute the experience.  Unlike some of the other projects, both AIDA and Scribo are driven by the same organization, so you have the option to simplify.

But when Scribo will succeed as CMS of choice outside Smalltalk
community, well, then we will probably start promoting it more
independently of Aida.

But for now the main audience are still Smalltalkers. Yet this not mean
that we won't need to take care about "power" users immediately. And
these don't like to program until needed as well. So, web based
configuration is our first mid-term goal for now.

Janko

PS.: How did you find AIDA by looking CMS implementations?

Probably from James Robertson's blog or the squeak-dev mailing list.

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: New header for default Aida style

Nicolas Petton
On sam, 2008-10-04 at 17:47 -0500, David Pennell wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 5:20 PM, Janko Mivšek <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>         David Pennell wrote:
>         > - I think you should only have one slogan
>         > - Both slogans ("AiDing the WeB" or "This is HOW the Web
>         Works!") just
>         > make me go ???.  What is the primary message you want to
>         send?
>

>         I'm also leaning towards one slogan only, and towards "This is
>         how the
>         web works". How this one sounds to you?
>

> I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean.  It also sounds pretty
> passive.  I'd think about something that emphasizes how AIDA brings
> value - either thru empowering web application developers or
> delivering superior applications or both.
>

>         > - You should pick one way to spell AIDA and use it
>         consistently.  Is it
>         > AIDA, AIDAweb or AIDA/Scribo (all on Nico's site).
>

>         Agree, here we have the confusion. There are long names
>         AIDA/Web and
>         AIDA/Scribo, to show that those are two products of the same
>         family.
>         Also both logos are similar to show that similarity. This is
>         like in
>         case of Plone/Zope.
>
>         Aida and Scribo are then short names, for everyday talk.
>
>         AIDAweb and AIDAscribo are just for logo design.
>
>         If we use names that way consistently I think the confusion
>         will be
>         smaller if non-existent.
>
>         > - I found AIDA by looking for CMS implementations, so I may
>         be biased -
>         > but how are you going to promote Scribo?  If its going to be
>         a more or
>         > less standard part of all AIDA deployments, should it get a
>         mention in
>         > the header?
>

>         First, this header is for Aida, not for Scribo. Scribo header
>         is coming
>         later and will be different, based on Scribo logo.
>
>         Scribo marketing, well, this is still to be thought out. We
>         are not good
>         enough in promotion of Aida, so don't mention Scribo yet :)
>

> I assume that this header is only used for 1-click demo images and
> maybe some intranet web sites where folks don't care about branding.
> External applications will certainly use their own header.  I wonder
> if you really want to have two different 1-click images - one for AIDA
> and one for Scribo.
No, the one click image includes both AIDA and Scribo.

Nico

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: New header for default Aida style

Nicholas Moore
I like the effect of the logo highlighted in white with the blue background and the star/sparkle at the other end picks up on that effect nicely. While I am not keen on the mixing of upper and lower case letters, the overall effect is good.

About the two slogans: I think it works okay because of the size of the header. I guess that this web site will mostly have a technical audience so slogans which are more statements of function than of benefit will be appropriate.

Regards

Nicholas

Janko Mivšek wrote:
Dear all,

Yesterday Janja designed a first version of new header for default
WebStyle as part of every Aida distribution and which is seen after Aida
is installed and run for the first time. Something like that on Nico's demo:

	http://demo.bioskop.fr/wiki/wiki.html

So, how do you like it, what do you think about slogan part, are two
slogans  good or maybe too much at once, etc.

Thanks for your comments in advance

Janko

--
NJM TSR-i