New logo proposal - edelweiss

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

Another round of logos! Please look and comment a new logo proposal by
Janja Bačac:

        http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html

Here the main symbol is an Alps mountain flower called edelweiss
(planika in Slovenian). One of its main features is endurance in most
desperate weather conditions, cold, freezing, windy, winter .. :)

Those logos are initial variants on the edelweiss theme. Color is also
initial, all this can be changes, so come out with comments please.

Best regards
Janko

aida-logo-m.png (8K) Download Attachment

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Janko Mivšek
More about edelweiss:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leontopodium_alpinum

Images:
http://images.google.com/images?q=edelweiss+flower&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Janko

Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Another round of logos! Please look and comment a new logo proposal by
> Janja Bačac:
>
>     http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html
>
> Here the main symbol is an Alps mountain flower called edelweiss
> (planika in Slovenian). One of its main features is endurance in most
> desperate weather conditions, cold, freezing, windy, winter .. :)
>
> Those logos are initial variants on the edelweiss theme. Color is also
> initial, all this can be changes, so come out with comments please.
>
> Best regards
> Janko

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Giuseppe
I like very much the logo attached in your mail.

But you need we vote over all proposals? or only over the last proposal?

Other thing. I thought thath AIDA/Web is "Smalltalk Web Framework", and
Swazzo is the "Smalltalk Web Server". I'm wrong?

Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:
> I like very much the logo attached in your mail.
>
> But you need we vote over all proposals? or only over the last proposal?

No no, just comment all of them. Do you like it or not, why, what would
you change to be better, which variant prefer you most, which less.
Also, what about color etc.

What about edelweiss in the square, should this be the basic symbol?

> Other thing. I thought thath AIDA/Web is "Smalltalk Web Framework", and
> Swazzo is the "Smalltalk Web Server". I'm wrong?

No, that's true. Swazoo is web server while Aida is web framework. But
because Aida comes always with Swazoo, I think we shall name Aida as Web
application server, which is web framework + web server.

But on the other side, RoR and Seaside are declared only as web
frameworks and as we like to be on pair, we also use only "Web
framework" for Aida when appropriate.

Also if you see title of our website on Google, you'll see a long
"AIDA/Web Smalltalk Web Framework and Application Server". That's
because people search sometimes as web framework, sometimes as web
application, sometimes as web application server etc.

But a bit more thoughts and comments on that issue is welcome!

Janko

> Janko Mivšek escribió:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Another round of logos! Please look and comment a new logo proposal by
>> Janja Bačac:
>>
>>     http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html
>>
>> Here the main symbol is an Alps mountain flower called edelweiss
>> (planika in Slovenian). One of its main features is endurance in most
>> desperate weather conditions, cold, freezing, windy, winter .. :)
>>
>> Those logos are initial variants on the edelweiss theme. Color is also
>> initial, all this can be changes, so come out with comments please.
>>
>> Best regards
>> Janko

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Nicolas Petton
Hi,

I think that we should be clear about that : Aida is a web framework,
Swazoo is a web server. Aida is clearly not a web server, and I think
that the sentence "Smalltalk web application server" is very confusing
for newcommers (It was the case for me when I discovered Aida...) : What
is Aida and what is Swazoo?

About the logo, I like it :) Maybe it could be even better in green, and
the bottom sentence shouldn't take more place than "AIDAweb" IMO.

Cheers!

Nico

nico wrote:

> I think that we should be clear about that : Aida is a web framework,
> Swazoo is a web server. Aida is clearly not a web server, and I think
> that the sentence "Smalltalk web application server" is very confusing
> for newcommers (It was the case for me when I discovered Aida...) : What
> is Aida and what is Swazoo?

Lets move this discussion to separate thread please.

Janko

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Andreas Petermann-2
Giuseppe Luigi Punzi schrieb:
I like very much the logo attached in your mail.

I also like the attached one (or the upper right one on the website). The icon form is also good for favicon and the Edelweiss flower in the middle looks well-balanced.
The biological analogy to aida/web is quite not the best: ephemerality, after a few years no reproduction possible!
On the other site, it was the flower of emperors and kings... this sounds better :)

But i would prefer a logo similar to the swazoo one, the down right or upper left one from nadja's second round.
See the discussion if aida should named web framework or web application server, aida cannot work without swazoo, so this can be also expressed by similar logos.

Andreas

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Nicolas Petton
Hi again,

I really would like to see the logo in other colors. Maybe a green
version.

Cheers!

Nico
--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Janko Mivšek
Please look now quickly at color variants of the logo (below basic blue
ones):

        http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html

Our designer Janja still believes blue is the best and I'm also lining
to the blue for now. And we haven't much time if we want to have t-shirt
for ESUG. Please hurry!

Janko

nico wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I really would like to see the logo in other colors. Maybe a green
> version.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Nico

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Janko Mivšek
What about violet blue in 4th right variant? See it also in attachment.

Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Please look now quickly at color variants of the logo (below basic blue
> ones):
>
> http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html

Janko

LOGO-NOV.png (12K) Download Attachment

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Please look now quickly at color variants of the logo (below basic blue
> ones):
>
> http://www.aidaweb.si/logo/proposals.html
>
> Our designer Janja still believes blue is the best and I'm also lining
> to the blue for now. And we haven't much time if we want to have t-shirt
> for ESUG. Please hurry!
>
> Janko

I like the Edelweiss in Blue also.

Jimmie

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Nicholas Moore
This might not help but I am not keen on the bright blue - it seems to brash for me. :-(

My number one preference is still for one of the previous images (aida_pref_1):

pref_1

I think this style, with it's subtle tones works well for Aida and also picks up on the current Swazoo web site which is very elegant and stylish.

If I had to choose the edelweiss, I would go for either a strong colour like
(aida_pref_2):

pref_2

or a more subtle colour like
(aida_pref_3):

pred_3

I think part of my problem is that I am not really happy with the representation of the flower - if I did not already know, I would not know what it is meant to be. I also feel that 'Smalltalk web application server' should not extend beyond the 'AIDAweb' in the layout.

Nicholas

nico wrote:

Hi again,

I really would like to see the logo in other colors. Maybe a green
version.

Cheers!

Nico

NJM TSR-i

Nicholas J Moore
+33 555 092 140
+33 682 904 357
TSR International
Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
www.TSR-i.com

aida_pref_1.jpg (43K) Download Attachment
aida_pref_2.jpg (10K) Download Attachment
aida_pref_3.jpg (7K) Download Attachment

Re: New logo proposal - edelweiss

Nicolas Petton
Ok, now I saw the new logo in other colors, my favorite is the blue one.

Let we keep it as it is for now, we need it for T-shirts :)

Cheers!

Nico