New logo?

12

Re: New logo?

SeanTAllen
Indeed.

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 8:10 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hehehe, I can see that on a sticker !!

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Pat Maddox <[hidden email]> wrote:
Smalltalk become: Redline

BOOM

On Nov 27, 2012, at 3:23 PM, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

i hiss in your direction

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:53 PM, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thought Bubbles spring to mind, not sure why.

On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM, Robert Roland <[hidden email]> wrote:
The idea of an animal doesn't bother me, but it has to be one that's not already on the cover of an O'Reilly book.

Re: New logo?

Peter C. Marks

My offering...

Peter

Do you guys think it would be a good idea to have a new logo, besides the Redline Smalltalk logo on the website and the Duke/balloon logo on the indiegogo website?

Re: New logo?

Les Hazlewood
Hi all,

We went through the same process at Apache Shiro (needing/wanting a new logo).  We ended up using 99 designs:

Of course, someone needs to donate the ~ $300 to ensure that you get good designers to participate (quality designers won't submit designs unless you've got a reasonable bounty posted and without them, you'll just get a lot of junk).

The Shiro community voted on their favorites on the mailing list as the designs came in.  Here is how the vote went down:

The process was fantastic - the entire community was able to take part and vote.  I gotta say - we think we have a beautiful logo, and we're really happy with the design: http://shiro.apache.org

I heartily recommend it to the Redline community as well.  And although I can't offer to sponsor the contest this time around, I'm fairly confident that you'll spend more time/resources than the cost of the contest if you go through another route.  (I have no affiliation whatsoever with 99designs - I'm just a happy end user).

I hope that helps!

Cheers,

Les Hazlewood
Shiro team member and hopeful Redline user

Re: New logo?

SeanTAllen
I have a good friend who has done a ton of design work for bands etc that I have been in the past who is working something.

Lets see what the end result is and how everyone likes it. We can always do a 99 designs otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Re: New logo?

Les Hazlewood
We had a friend who helped us in the beginning as well, but we were at the mercy of his schedule and getting deliverables from him was hard enough.  Plus iterating on designs w/ feedback took forever since he had a 'real job' to attend to.

At least with 99designs, you have clear expectations as well as hundreds of creative minds attacking the problem all at once.  This usually gives much better (and faster) results.

Now I'm not saying you'll have the same experience with your friend, just pointing out it's usually not that easy :)  Food for thought.

Cheers,

Les