New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Damien Cassou
I've just uploaded a new Pharo image. It is much faster now, but you
won't get the package browsing (only the category browsing).

http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download

For all the people who found Pharo slow, please tell me what you think
of this one !

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> I've just uploaded a new Pharo image. It is much faster now, but you
> won't get the package browsing (only the category browsing).
>
> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download
>
> For all the people who found Pharo slow, please tell me what you think
> of this one !

funnily enough I cannot program with this browser. So I will load the
OBpackage one
and wait that it gets faster.

> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

can you disable the annotation pane too?
Could you also load the packageBrowser so that we can pick the other
one too?
May be put also the highPerformance on
I would also remove the optional buttons because they just take space.
(You see I can also be dogmatic).

I imgaine that the roundcorner could be disable too to gain some
cycles too.
Stef

On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> I've just uploaded a new Pharo image. It is much faster now, but you
> won't get the package browsing (only the category browsing).
>
> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download
>
> For all the people who found Pharo slow, please tell me what you think
> of this one !
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Adrian Lienhard

On Jul 18, 2009, at 10:28 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> can you disable the annotation pane too?

+1

> Could you also load the packageBrowser so that we can pick the other
> one too?
> May be put also the highPerformance on

This preference should be removed. It does not increase performance,
rather to the contrary it may make the image slower as it increases
the number of screen update cycles.

Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 10:40 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2009, at 10:28 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> can you disable the annotation pane too?
>
> +1
>
>> Could you also load the packageBrowser so that we can pick the other
>> one too?
>> May be put also the highPerformance on
>
> This preference should be removed. It does not increase performance,
> rather to the contrary it may make the image slower as it increases
> the number of screen update cycles.

Arghhhh
trapped again
I spotted some other obsolete preferences.

> Adrian
>
>> I would also remove the optional buttons because they just take
>> space.
>> (You see I can also be dogmatic).
>>
>> I imgaine that the roundcorner could be disable too to gain some
>> cycles too.
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:
>>
>>> I've just uploaded a new Pharo image. It is much faster now, but you
>>> won't get the package browsing (only the category browsing).
>>>
>>> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download
>>>
>>> For all the people who found Pharo slow, please tell me what you
>>> think
>>> of this one !
>>>
>>> --
>>> Damien Cassou
>>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>>
>>> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
>>> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Lukas Renggli
> can you disable the annotation pane too?

Yeah, the annotation pane is extremely slow. I never use it myself.

> Could you also load the packageBrowser so that we can pick the other
> one too?

I don't think that would work with the code that is used in the image
Damien created. The OB code in this image does not contain the slow
extra checks that were hacked into the core code to make the package
browser functioning. Furthermore the normal browser is not really
useable if the package browser is loaded, because menu items are
missing and strangely positioned to the point it is not useable
anymore.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Stéphane Ducasse
OK then we should ask david if
        - he addressed the check removal
        - found the problems with the menus?
david?
Stef

On Jul 18, 2009, at 11:00 AM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

>> can you disable the annotation pane too?
>
> Yeah, the annotation pane is extremely slow. I never use it myself.
>
>> Could you also load the packageBrowser so that we can pick the other
>> one too?
>
> I don't think that would work with the code that is used in the image
> Damien created. The OB code in this image does not contain the slow
> extra checks that were hacked into the core code to make the package
> browser functioning. Furthermore the normal browser is not really
> useable if the package browser is loaded, because menu items are
> missing and strangely positioned to the point it is not useable
> anymore.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

David Röthlisberger-2

> OK then we should ask david if
>     - he addressed the check removal
>     - found the problems with the menus?

The check removal I addressed, but the menu problems not yet.
I will be away the next three weeks, I can't work on this during that period. But I
will look at it when I'm back (Aug 10).
But I really suggest to not load OB-Enhancements if you do not want to use the
package browser at all.

David

On Jul 18, 2009, at 11:59 AM, David Röthlisberger wrote:

>> OK then we should ask david if
>>    - he addressed the check removal
>>    - found the problems with the menus?
>
> The check removal I addressed, but the menu problems not yet.

Excellent this is another step in the right direction.

> I will be away the next three weeks, I can't work on this during
> that period. But I
> will look at it when I'm back (Aug 10).
> But I really suggest to not load OB-Enhancements if you do not want
> to use the
> package browser at all.

Ok but we need it :)
I cannot work with categories anymore.
Stef

> David

>>> Yeah, the annotation pane is extremely slow. I never use it myself.

>>> I don't think that would work with the code that is used in the
>>> image
>>> Damien created. The OB code in this image does not contain the slow
>>> extra checks that were hacked into the core code to make the package
>>> browser functioning. Furthermore the normal browser is not really
>>> useable if the package browser is loaded, because menu items are
>>> missing and strangely positioned to the point it is not useable
>>> anymore.
>>>
>>> Lukas
>>>
>>> --
>>> Lukas Renggli
>>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I think you are making a very good case for the wiki page on feartures and performance.  Some of these tradeoffs are too individual to be properly addressed in a few downloads.

Bill

can you disable the annotation pane too?
Could you also load the packageBrowser so that we can pick the other one too?
May be put also the highPerformance on
I would also remove the optional buttons because they just take space.
(You see I can also be dogmatic).

I imgaine that the roundcorner could be disable too to gain some cycles too.
Stef

On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> I've just uploaded a new Pharo image. It is much faster now, but you
> won't get the package browsing (only the category browsing).
>
> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download
>
> For all the people who found Pharo slow, please tell me what you think
> of this one !
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
can you disable the annotation pane too?
Could you also load the packageBrowser so that we can pick the other
one too?

Ok. I tested and is MUCH faster for me. I think this will be a good step. People (and mostly newbies) will be able to just download a image and this will be faster enougth. I also thing that having also the packageBrowser loaded is a good thing so that anyone who want can use it.

May be put also the highPerformance on
I would also remove the optional buttons because they just take space.
(You see I can also be dogmatic).

I imgaine that the roundcorner could be disable too to gain some
cycles too.
Stef

On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:55 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

> I've just uploaded a new Pharo image. It is much faster now, but you
> won't get the package browsing (only the category browsing).
>
> http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download
>
> For all the people who found Pharo slow, please tell me what you think
> of this one !
>
> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Lambdas are relegated to relative obscurity until Java makes them
> popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Esteban A. Maringolo
I downloaded it, and used it "randomly" and it considerably faster
than the previous version.

Thanks for the improvement.

ps: I got some errors while looking for senders, for example looking
at the senders of #asArray and clicking on some of the senders.

Regards,

--
Esteban.

On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
I downloaded it, and used it "randomly" and it considerably faster
than the previous version.

Thanks for the improvement.

Actually, as I understand there was no improvment but identified and removed the slow stuff.

ps: I got some errors while looking for senders, for example looking
at the senders of #asArray and clicking on some of the senders.

please, describe a bit more the problem and if necessary create a ticket in:
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list

best,

Mariano

Regards,

--
Esteban.

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Cameron Sanders-3
It "feels" snappier. No benchmarks... and only about 1.5 hours worth of use coding/browsing (on the non-web version 09.07.3).

Better. I like it.

Thanks Damien,
Cam
PS: I have never used this browser before (OK, briefly in squeak), so a few icons are not-obvious to me. Category searching seems to work with several key-strokes if typed quickly... or else I am getting lucky. So I guess it is quite satisfactory.

On Jul 18, 2009, at 2:55 AM, Damien Cassou wrote:

I've just uploaded a new Pharo image. It is much faster now, but you
won't get the package browsing (only the category browsing).

http://pharo-project.org/pharo-download

For all the people who found Pharo slow, please tell me what you think
of this one !

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Yes it was speedup also (henrik optimisation)
but not as much as we want

Stef

On Jul 19, 2009, at 1:48 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 18, 2009 at 7:40 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> I downloaded it, and used it "randomly" and it considerably faster
> than the previous version.
>
> Thanks for the improvement.
>
> Actually, as I understand there was no improvment but identified and
> removed the slow stuff.
>

> ps: I got some errors while looking for senders, for example looking
> at the senders of #asArray and clicking on some of the senders.
>
> please, describe a bit more the problem and if necessary create a
> ticket in:
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list
>
> best,
>
> Mariano
>

> Regards,
>
> --
> Esteban.

Re: New much faster Pharo based on 10379

Damien Cassou
On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 12:40 AM, Esteban A.
Maringolo<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I got some errors while looking for senders, for example looking
> at the senders of #asArray and clicking on some of the senders.

Could you please open a bug report with detailed information on how to
reproduce?