New questions.

davec
Hi

I've been looking at AIDA/Web to use in VisualWorks 7.4.1NC. There are a
couples of things I can not see in the docs (more docs, working examples
please!).

1/ How does one alter security setting via programming?
2/ Can AIDA-Swazoo serve static pages? Is so can they be on the
filesystem or do they need to be loaded into the image first.

There are lots of things I like in AIDA, but I'm evaluating at the
moment. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks.
--
Dave Cope, Biodiversity Technology Officer.

Biodiversity Information Service
for Powys and Brecon Beacons National Park,
1st Floor Offices,
7 Wheat Street, Brecon, Powys, LD3 7DG

Email: dave at b-i-s.org

Tele: 01874-610881
Fax:  01874-624812

Web: http://www.b-i-s.org

New questions.

Janko Mivšek
Hi Dave,

Let me first welcome you in Aida land!

Dave Cope wrote:

> I've been looking at AIDA/Web to use in VisualWorks 7.4.1NC. There are a
> couples of things I can not see in the docs (more docs, working examples
> please!).

Yes I know! I'm doing my best but I would really appreciate some help
here. At least with directions what to write first and foremost...

> 1/ How does one alter security setting via programming?

Integrated security helps you with user/group management and access
rights to each App (view and update access rights for each view).

If you want to extend that, override two methods in your App classes:

        WebApplication viewAllowed
        WebApplication updateAllowed

You can of course also change users, groups and acces rights
programmatically, just look at WebSecurityManager, WebUser, WebUSerGroup
for more.

> 2/ Can AIDA-Swazoo serve static pages? Is so can they be on the
> filesystem or do they need to be loaded into the image first.

Yes, Aida has its own static web serving and it is enabled by default.

All urls which don't point to some domain object, are tried to be
resolved to a static file. If that also fails then you get 404.

You need to set up a home directory which is by default a home of your
image. See Admid>Settings or programmatically:

        (AIDASite named: 'mysite')
                homeDirectoy: 'home/someone/public_html'

> There are lots of things I like in AIDA, but I'm evaluating at the
> moment. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Just keep asking, this will help improve docs too!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

New questions.

Janko Mivšek
Hui Dave,

Dave Cope wrote:

>> Let me first welcome you in Aida land!
> It's good to be here :-) Having read the archives, you supply excellent
> support here on the list - that's important to "sell" AIDA to others.

Thank you! That's because I deeply believe that Aida can help you making
web app development as easy as Smalltalk development is.

>>> 2/ Can AIDA-Swazoo serve static pages? Is so can they be on the
>>> filesystem or do they need to be loaded into the image first.
>>
>> Yes, Aida has its own static web serving and it is enabled by default.

 > That means I can introduce dynamic content as I go and takes some of
 > the pressure of my time-scales.

I forgot to mention a hybrid serving (aka templating) too. That is
currently disabled but I can de-comment it in FileProxy if interest is
big enough. Idea  is to put a special AIDA tag in a static page, which
is then dynamically expanded to full HTML when a page is shown. Example
to add a visit counter on your page:

        <AIDA WebStatisticsApp pageCounter>

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

New questions.

davec

Janko Miv?ek wrote:

> I forgot to mention a hybrid serving (aka templating) too. That is
> currently disabled but I can de-comment it in FileProxy if interest is
> big enough. Idea  is to put a special AIDA tag in a static page, which
> is then dynamically expanded to full HTML when a page is shown. Example
> to add a visit counter on your page:
>
> <AIDA WebStatisticsApp pageCounter>

Yes, I would be interested in that if only to help speed up the
publishing of pages that just need a little dynamic content (current
date, auto generated links etc.) without going to the whole SSP/JSP thing.

I'm getting AIDA from the Cincom public repository BTW.

Email: dave at b-i-s.org

Tele: 01874-610881
Fax:  01874-624812

Web: http://www.b-i-s.org

visibility in IE

Nicholas Moore
I have just discovered that in my AIDA site (http://www.c4cnc.org) the
navigation bar is not visible in Internet Explorer, although it works
perfectly in Firefox, Konqueror etc.
.
Any suggestions?

Nicholas

--

*Nicholas J Moore*
+44 7786 063 333

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

visibility in IE

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nicholas,

Try to put tabs and content into another table. It could be that IE
don't like a navigation DIV immediately followed by UL for tabs. But as
it is for IE usual, you need to downgrade to trial&error style of
developing in such cases... Best way in that case is to study examples
with a FireBug to see, why examples work but your site not.

I hope you'll managed to fix that small problem on your promising site!

Best regards
Janko

Nicholas Moore wrote:

> I have just discovered that in my AIDA site (http://www.c4cnc.org) the
> navigation bar is not visible in Internet Explorer, although it works
> perfectly in Firefox, Konqueror etc.
> .
> Any suggestions?
>
> Nicholas
>

> --
>
> *Nicholas J Moore*
> +44 7786 063 333
> +33 555 092 140
> +33 682 904 357
> *TSR International
> *Thought Leaders in Communication & Complexity
> www.TSR-i.com

Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

visibility in IE

Nicholas Moore
Janko,

A small change in my WebStyle subclass has solved the problem:

I changed MyAppWebStyle >> pageFrame: with: wide:

from:
    element := (WebElement newId: #container)
                add: self headerElement;
            add: ((WebElement newId: #content)
                            add: self navigationBarElement;
                            add: aWebElement;
                            yourself);
                add: ((WebElement newId: #contentWide)
                            add: aWideElement;
                            yourself);
                yourself.

to:
    element := (WebElement newId: #container)
                add: self headerElement;
                add: self navigationBarElement;
                add: ((WebElement newId: #content)
                            add: aWebElement;
                            yourself);
                add: ((WebElement newId: #contentWide)
                            add: aWideElement;
                            yourself);
                yourself.

The position of the navBar element is key. It was strange because it was
fine in Firefox, Konqueror, Opera and even in IE the navBar would
sometimes show. For instance it was visible in the login page, and in
some, but not all of the Admin pages.

I will just put it down to the vagaries of IE.

Nicholas