New version of Little Number Chapter

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

I took into account the remarks of mariano and I imagine that the chapter improved. It can be obvious for some people
but I like to make sure that we all find this obvious. Because it is not difficult once you spend a little time on it.
Now if somebody wants to extend and improve, he/she welcome.

I will continue to work on the others chapters.

Stef
A guy that truly believe that software is only done when the documentation is packed too.

LittleNumbers.pdf (430K) Download Attachment

Re: New version of Little Number Chapter

Mariano Martinez Peck
These chapters are drafts for the future book Pharo By Example 2.
The first one is in: http://pharobyexample.org/

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: [Pharo-project] New version of Little Number Chapter

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 1:41 AM, John Toohey <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nice chapter. Working some of the examples, and with the latest 1.3
release, bitString is not available. Is this part of 1.4?

Yes.

On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 02:21, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> I took into account the remarks of mariano and I imagine that the chapter improved. It can be obvious for some people
> but I like to make sure that we all find this obvious. Because it is not difficult once you spend a little time on it.
> Now if somebody wants to extend and improve, he/she welcome.
>
> I will continue to work on the others chapters.
>

> Stef
> A guy that truly believe that software is only done when the documentation is packed too.

--
~JT

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: New version of Little Number Chapter

Igor Stasenko
2r1101
returns 13

13 printStringBase: 2
returns '1101'

Integer readFrom: '1101' base: 2
returns 13

maybe 'answers' instead of returns?
since in smalltalk we're sending messages and getting answers :)

On 11 September 2011 09:21, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I took into account the remarks of mariano and I imagine that the chapter improved. It can be obvious for some people
> but I like to make sure that we all find this obvious. Because it is not difficult once you spend a little time on it.
> Now if somebody wants to extend and improve, he/she welcome.
>
> I will continue to work on the others chapters.
>

> Stef
> A guy that truly believe that software is only done when the documentation is packed too.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: New version of Little Number Chapter

Helene Bilbo
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
It can be obvious for some people but I like to make sure that we all find this obvious. Because it is not difficult once you spend a little time on it.
Hi,
this chapter is very interesting and understandable.

The one question i have is of course - how do the other numbers work, the ones that are not „little“ ones. I don’t know if you plan other chapters (they would be very welcome) or if you could add a distinction between the different kind of numbers in the introduction to this chapter?

One tiny remark: „gender“ on page 14 is not a very good example to encode in one bit. As everyone knows, there are as many genders as there are people :)
Best regards, Helene.

On Sep 16, 2011, at 12:29 PM, Helene Bilbo wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>> It can be obvious for some people but I like to make sure that we all find
>> this obvious. Because it is not difficult once you spend a little time on
>> it.
>>

> Hi,
> this chapter is very interesting and understandable.
>
> The one question i have is of course - how do the other numbers work, the
> ones that are not „little“ ones. I don’t know if you plan other chapters
> (they would be very welcome) or if you could add a distinction between the
> different kind of numbers in the introduction to this chapter?

I do not know :)
I would like to learn that and I would love if somebody would explain that to me :)

Did you see the float chapter I wrote?