New versions of the Pharo Launcher for Windows and MacOS

New versions of the Pharo Launcher for Windows and MacOS

Damien Cassou
Hi everyone,

I've just updated the Windows and MacOS packages of the Pharo Launcher.
Please update:

http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/PharoLauncher

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm." --Winston Churchill

Re: New versions of the Pharo Launcher for Windows and MacOS

nacho
Great! Thanks Damien.
I will try it right away.
Cheers
Nacho
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: New versions of the Pharo Launcher for Windows and MacOS

stepharo
thanks damien
I will now because my old version is taking 3 min to open.

Le 20/1/15 14:58, Damien Cassou a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just updated the Windows and MacOS packages of the Pharo Launcher.
> Please update:
>
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/PharoLauncher

Re: New versions of the Pharo Launcher for Windows and MacOS

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Damien Cassou's message of 2015-01-20 14:58:58 +0100:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/PharoLauncher

is this a good place to bug you with feature requests?

i'd like to see a cache of the downloaded images so that i can create multiple
copies of an image without redownloading.

i suppose i can do it manually by never opening the first copy, but i think it
might be helpful to have a way to make sure that an image is untouched.

i'd like to have a way to load some default configs or packages.
for example i'll always need the gitfiletree package, and i want to set the
fonts to 'large'

it would be nice to be able to specify some scripts that are run every time a
new image is loaded so i don't have to do it manually after opening the image.

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: New versions of the Pharo Launcher for Windows and MacOS

Nicolai Hess
Excerpts from Damien Cassou's message of 2015-01-20 14:58:58 +0100:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/PharoLauncher

is this a good place to bug you with feature requests?

i'd like to see a cache of the downloaded images so that i can create multiple
copies of an image without redownloading.

On the right tree (Templates) is a node "Local"
this includes all downloaded images.

[...]

Excerpts from Nicolai Hess's message of 2015-01-30 15:18:57 +0100:
> > i'd like to see a cache of the downloaded images so that i can create
> > multiple copies of an image without redownloading.
> On the right tree (Templates) is a node "Local"
> this includes all downloaded images.

i thought that would be a good place to put them, but for me there is nothing.
i already downloaded 3 images.
do i have to disable "Templates cleared at startup" in the config?

greetings, martin.

Martin Bähr writes:
> for example i'll always need the gitfiletree package, and i want to
> set the fonts to 'large'. it would be nice to be able to specify some
> scripts that are run every time a new image is loaded so i don't have
> to do it manually after opening the image.

you have to use the startup script mechanism for that (this is standard
mechanism totally unrelated to the launcher):
https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoHiddenTreasures/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/StartupPreferences/StartupPreferences.pillar.html.
Please ask the mailing list about this particular mechanism if you have
any question.

Martin Bähr writes:

> Excerpts from Nicolai Hess's message of 2015-01-30 15:18:57 +0100:
>> > i'd like to see a cache of the downloaded images so that i can create
>> > multiple copies of an image without redownloading.
>> On the right tree (Templates) is a node "Local"
>> this includes all downloaded images.
>
> i thought that would be a good place to put them, but for me there is nothing.
> i already downloaded 3 images.
> do i have to disable "Templates cleared at startup" in the config?

I confirm that "Local" should contain the templates you download. You
probably found a bug but I can't reproduce.

The "Templates cleared at startup" is something different.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 10:24 PM, Martin Bähr <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excerpts from Nicolai Hess's message of 2015-01-30 15:18:57 +0100:
> > i'd like to see a cache of the downloaded images so that i can create
> > multiple copies of an image without redownloading.
> On the right tree (Templates) is a node "Local"
> this includes all downloaded images.

i thought that would be a good place to put them, but for me there is nothing.
i already downloaded 3 images.
do i have to disable "Templates cleared at startup" in the config?

No, I have that setting enabled.  However it currently does not self-update when you download an image**.  Click on the template <Refresh> icon in the top right. Maybe you need to have "Local" selected when you do this.

**This is a bug.  Its funny when you get so used to workarounds that you don't notice them anymore.

Actually, rather than a separate template folder I'd like to see an icon appear that indicates its got a local cached copy, plus a menu option to "Create image from local".  I often accidentally click the remote repository when I know I've got a cached copy - but then its too late since the cache copy is deleted to make way for the download and I have to wait for the download to complete.

cheers -ben

Re: New versions of the Pharo Launcher for Windows and MacOS

Martin Bähr
Excerpts from Damien Cassou's message of 2015-01-30 15:42:21 +0100:
> > for example i'll always need the gitfiletree package, and i want to
> > set the fonts to 'large'. it would be nice to be able to specify some
> > scripts that are run every time a new image is loaded so i don't have
> > to do it manually after opening the image.
> you have to use the startup script mechanism for that (this is standard
> mechanism totally unrelated to the launcher):
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/view/Books/job/PharoHiddenTreasures/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/StartupPreferences/StartupPreferences.pillar.html.

oh wow, yes, i was going to ask about what everyone else is doing to solve this problem.
there is a lot in that page. i am going to have to spend some quality time with
this to figure out how to best use it... thanks!

greetings, martin.

--
eKita                   -   the online platform for your entire academic life
--
chief engineer                                                       eKita.co
pike programmer      pike.lysator.liu.se    caudium.net     societyserver.org
secretary                                                      beijinglug.org
mentor                                                           fossasia.org
foresight developer  foresightlinux.org                            realss.com
unix sysadmin
Martin Bähr          working in china        http://societyserver.org/mbaehr/

Re: New versions of the Pharo Launcher for Windows and MacOS

stepharo
Damien even with the latest version of Launcher I have startup error.
I can show you :)

Stef