NewCompiler for pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I would really like to know the status of the newcompiler for pharo?

- when do you think we will be able to use it?
- what is left to do?
- how can people help?
- is there a way to get something compiled in between?

so I go back to preclosure or just hack the old compiler?

Re: NewCompiler for pharo?

niko.schwarz
Hi Stef,

On Sun, Oct 25, 2009 at 10:37 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> - is there a way to get something compiled in between?

Two of us use the ThothCompiler in the mean time, which supports all
the source code transformations of the NewCompiler, because it
features the same AST:

  - http://smalltalkthoughts.blogspot.com/2009/09/introducing-thothcompiler.html

If I understand it correctly, NewCompiler sort of works, but is being
cleaned up. I'm sure Lukas and Jorge can correct me here.

Cheers,

Niko

Re: NewCompiler for pharo?

Michael van der Gulik-2

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:37 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I would really like to know the status of the newcompiler for pharo?

- when do you think we will be able to use it?
- what is left to do?
- how can people help?
- is there a way to get something compiled in between?

so I go back to preclosure or just hack the old compiler?
Stef

Hi Stef.

I'll be a user of the NewCompiler (for SecureSqueak) so I have an interest in it, to the point of fixing it if it doesn't work. This will probably happen in 6 months time or so.

In particular, I am planning to use the IR (in NewCompiler-IR) as a format for sending code across a network connection in my projects. This will be part of SecureSqueak's core architecture and stored with classes, so it must be perfect.

Gulik.

--
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/