Newbie Install/education center problem

Lew Schwartz
I just installed Dolphin 3.06 over an existing Dolphin 98 install, but the
new ide can't find the Education Center files even though they are still
physically there. Is there an easy fix?
- Lew S

Re: Newbie Install/education center problem

Ian Bartholomew-3
Lew,

"Lew Schwartz" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:90ttbe$26cl6$[hidden email]...
> I just installed Dolphin 3.06 over an existing Dolphin 98 install, but the
> new ide can't find the Education Center files even though they are still
> physically there. Is there an easy fix?

I've never tried installing one version of Dolphin over another, and I'm not
sure I would recommend it, but it _may_ be that installing the 3.06 EC makes
some Registry changes that the 3.06 image looks for and if it can't find
them it assumes the EC is not available. In any case I would think that
there were enough changes between version 2 and 3 to make downloading the
newer version (assuming it is still available on the OA web site?) a good
idea - it is free after all <g>

Ian

Re: Newbie Install/education center problem

Lew Schwartz
Ian,
It looks to be more subtle. I have the current EC, but my guess is that when
I installed it, it saw the settings for the previous install & decided that
they didn't need updating. Would you know the registry keys, perchance?
- Lew S

Re: Newbie Install/education center problem

Ian Bartholomew-2
Lew,

> It looks to be more subtle. I have the current EC, but my guess is that
when
> I installed it, it saw the settings for the previous install & decided
that
> they didn't need updating. Would you know the registry keys, perchance?

Not offhand. I thought from your previous message that you were trying to
use the V2 EC with the V3 product. As that is not the case then I don't
really know why it doesn't work but I wouldn't think the registry is the
problem as the V3 install should look after itself.

Your best bet, and what I would have recommended in the first place, is to
uninstall V2 before reinstalling V3 from the distribution exe, and also
installing into a different folder tree. It may be overkill but it does
remove most of the potential for niggling little problems like this.  Note
that unlike some other products there's no limit on the number of times you
can install/uninstall Dolphin, your unlock key will always work on the V3
distribution file.

Ian

Re: Newbie Install/education center problem

Ted Bracht-2
Lew,

> > It looks to be more subtle. I have the current EC, but my guess is that
> when
> > I installed it, it saw the settings for the previous install & decided
> that
> > they didn't need updating. Would you know the registry keys, perchance?
>
> Not offhand. I thought from your previous message that you were trying to
> use the V2 EC with the V3 product. As that is not the case then I don't
> really know why it doesn't work but I wouldn't think the registry is the
> problem as the V3 install should look after itself.
>
> Your best bet, and what I would have recommended in the first place, is to
> uninstall V2 before reinstalling V3 from the distribution exe, and also
> installing into a different folder tree. It may be overkill but it does
> remove most of the potential for niggling little problems like this.  Note
> that unlike some other products there's no limit on the number of times
you
> can install/uninstall Dolphin, your unlock key will always work on the V3
> distribution file.

What I can remember is that whenever you do a fresh installation of say
Dolphin 3, then it removes the old registry keys, including the reference to
the local EC. Therefore you always have to install the development system
first and then the EC. If you don't have the installation for the EC
anymore, this method shows you how it finds the key:

SmalltalkSystem>>educationCentreDirectory
 "Private - Answer the directory String of the EducationCentre directory
where Dolphin is installed"

 ^RegKey localMachineRoot at: 'Software\Object Arts\Dolphin
Smalltalk\3.0\EducationCentre'
  ifPresent: [:key | key value].

Hope this helps

Ted