Newbie: Package browser change icon.

Syver Enstad-3
I have a red arrow in front of the entry for dolphin in the package
browser. I know that the red arrow means that the package has
changed, but am a bit unsure of what this means in the context of the
Dolphin package as this is part of the system. This happens after
installing some packages.
--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad

Re: Newbie: Package browser change icon.

Bruno Brasesco
"Syver Enstad" <[hidden email]> escribió en el mensaje
news:[hidden email]...

> I have a red arrow in front of the entry for dolphin in the package
> browser. I know that the red arrow means that the package has
> changed, but am a bit unsure of what this means in the context of the
> Dolphin package as this is part of the system. This happens after
> installing some packages.
> --
>
> Vennlig hilsen
>
> Syver Enstad

If one of your package override a method of Dolphin package is changing the
Dolphin package

Best Regards
Bruno Buzzi Brasesco

Re: Newbie: Package browser change icon.

Ian Bartholomew-6
Syver,

> I have a red arrow in front of the entry for dolphin in the package
> browser. I know that the red arrow means that the package has
> changed,

The little marker means that something, a Class, Global or Resource, owned
by the package has changed and therefore the package is not consistent with
the currently saved version. This is more applicable to packages you have
created yourself, it reminds you that they need saving, but the mechanism
works for all packages, including the one (Dolphin) containing most of the
base image methods.

To see what has changed you can go to the "Additonal Tools" folder and click
on "Source Browser". Look in the right hand column for the Dolphin package
and then you can locate the items that caused the marker to appear in the
package browser.

To find out the specific changes depends on the type of object. Globals and
Resources are a bit difficult, you will probably have to locate the package
that caused the change to see what the difference is.  For classes you can
click on the class name to open a browser, then select Class/Browse/Changed
Methods and that should show you the methods that have changed.  There are
third-part tools available that can assist in tracking/restoring changes you
may not have intended.

>             but am a bit unsure of what this means in the context of the
> Dolphin package as this is part of the system. This happens after
> installing some packages.

It doesn't really mean much, at least nothing that needs any action on your
part as it's best not to save the main Dolphin package. You can get rid of
the change markers using the PackageBrowsers Package/Source Control/Clear
change markers command

Regards
    Ian

"Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> writes:

> The little marker means that something, a Class, Global or Resource,
> owned by the package has changed and therefore the package is not
> consistent with the currently saved version. This is more applicable
> to packages you have created yourself, it reminds you that they need
> saving,

Yes, I realized that much.

> To see what has changed you can go to the "Additonal Tools" folder
> and click on "Source Browser". Look in the right hand column for the
> Dolphin package and then you can locate the items that caused the
> marker to appear in the package browser.
>
> To find out the specific changes depends on the type of
> object. Globals and Resources are a bit difficult, you will probably
> have to locate the package that caused the change to see what the
> difference is.  For classes you can click on the class name to open
> a browser, then select Class/Browse/Changed Methods and that should
> show you the methods that have changed.  There are third-part tools
> available that can assist in tracking/restoring changes you may not
> have intended.

Good stuff Ian, that information was what I was hoping someone could
provide. I need to know that I at least can find out where the changes
are if I need to.

Thanks to everybody on the dolphin newsgroup for being patient with a
newbie that asks far too many questions, but get good and polite
answers anyway.

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad

Re: Newbie: Package browser change icon.

Don Rylander-3
Syver,
"Syver Enstad" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> "Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> writes:
[...]
> > show you the methods that have changed.  There are third-part tools
> > available that can assist in tracking/restoring changes you may not
> > have intended.
[...]
WRT third-party tools, I've been using David Gorisek's STS for a while now, and
it's really handy for doing this sort of comparison.  It's also great to be
able to go back to check out old versions of methods, or even deleted methods.
It's saved me a lot of time on a couple of occasions when the dark side of
Windows' nature reared its ugly head :-0.  And its integration with Dolphin is
much nicer than working with more common check-in/check-out, file-oriented
source management software (and this from someone who never actually used
ENVY).  Definitely worth the 74.95 USD if you're doing much work in Dolphin.

Don

> --
>
> Vennlig hilsen
>
> Syver Enstad

Re: Newbie: Package browser change icon.

Syver Enstad-3
"Don Rylander" <[hidden email]> writes:

..snip...
> Definitely worth the 74.95 USD if you're doing much work in
> Dolphin.

At the time being (Dolphin) Smalltalk is just my current new
language to learn, so I won't shell out hard cash for add ons just yet. I'll
keep it in mind though.

Syver Enstad <[hidden email]> writes:

> "Ian Bartholomew" <[hidden email]> writes:
> > To see what has changed you can go to the "Additonal Tools" folder
> > and click on "Source Browser".

Urk, I have the value edition, and there is no Source Browser in my
additional tools Folder, ouch. I'll have to upgrade some day.
--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad