Newbie Question

Alex Peake
1) I tried the:
"And finally, tidy up any mess. This will close all views, including the
System Folder. A new, System Folder will be opened after a short delay. This
can be a useful 'panic' expression. Alternatively you can use the panic
(Munch's Scream) button in the System Folder toolbar."

SmalltalkSystemShell default panic

(on Windows 2000) and it quit sure enough, but never came back (10 minutes
anyway) but Dolphin.exe was in Task Manager. I had to remove this from Task
Manager to make any further progress. What am I missing?

Re: Newbie Question

Ian Bartholomew-18
Alex,

> (on Windows 2000) and it quit sure enough, but never came back (10
> minutes anyway) but Dolphin.exe was in Task Manager. I had to remove
> this from Task Manager to make any further progress. What am I
> missing?

Nothing really.  After oking (?) the warning dialog it should normally
take less than a second for all the open views to close and the new
SystemFolder appear.

My guess would be that you have broken something critical in the image,
accidentally deleted or edited an important method for example, that is
preventing Dolphin from resetting itself correctly.  It's not uncommon
to do something like this when you are starting out, I know I did it
lots of times.  Creating applications by modifying the environment that
you are using to create the application  is a powerful concept but one
that takes some getting used to.

Your best bet is to try and save any changes you have made to your
current image and then reinstall Dolphin.  This will create a new image
and you should be back to normal again.

There is (was) a page on the WIKI that gave some pointers about
maintaining images but I don't know if it (or even the WIKI) is still
available.

--
Ian

Re: Newbie Question