[Newbie] Scribo question

Hans N Beck-2
Hi all,

I am new to Aida/Web and Scribo. I have played a little bit with the
preconfigured Beta Scribo image.

Adding and removing pages is easy to do, indeed. But I have read about
workflow management. It is not clear how to do that or how to
manipulate the left column containing links etc. How can I change the
tabs in the site component ?

I know, this is beta, so this things are part of the future ?

Thank you in advance.

Greetings

Hans

Re: [Newbie] Scribo question

Janko Mivšek
Hello Hans,

Let me first welcome you to the Aida community! Please find the answers
below.

Hans N Beck wrote:

> I am new to Aida/Web and Scribo. I have played a little bit with the
> preconfigured Beta Scribo image.
>
> Adding and removing pages is easy to do, indeed. But I have read about
> workflow management. It is not clear how to do that or how to
> manipulate the left column containing links etc. How can I change the
> tabs in the site component ?

About workflow, there is all in place but not used in  current plugins.
In Scribo core there you have Document state, persons and timestamps,
methods to jump from state to state, say from #pending to #released and
this is a basics for making your own workflow. I have it implemented in
commercial BiArt CMS for managing documentation for several standards
like ISO9000 etc. Workflow is fixed but it can be easily done more
configurable. There is also a commercial BiArt/BPM, where you have
workflow defined in terms of business processes, which are then executed
and can besides other control the flow of work on documents.

Left navigation bar is part of WebStyle/ScriboStyle methods (see
protocol frame navigation). WebStyle is otherwise where you make all
"styling" of your page (CSS, images, JS, basic page organization, etc)
and it is site specific. You usually subclass it with your own class and
set up your website to use it. That way you can achieve running many
websites with different styles on the same image.

Tabs are also too fixed right now but we will soon make more general
menu/tab component as part of SqueakSite project, stay tuned!

> I know, this is beta, so this things are part of the future ?

In near future actually. But one of the Scribo goals is to come closer
to end users and specially mso called "power users" where we can
actually compete with Smalltalk to those 1000nds CMSes out there.

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web

Re: [Newbie] Scribo question

Hans N Beck-2
Hi,

Am 21.09.2008 um 19:46 schrieb Janko Mivšek:

> Hello Hans,
>
> Let me first welcome you to the Aida community! Please find the
> answers
> below.

Great, Thanks :-)

> About workflow, there is all in place but not used in  current
> plugins.
> In Scribo core there you have Document state, persons and timestamps,
> methods to jump from state to state, say from #pending to #released
> and
> this is a basics for making your own workflow. I have it implemented
> in
> commercial BiArt CMS for managing documentation for several standards
> like ISO9000 etc. Workflow is fixed but it can be easily done more
> configurable. There is also a commercial BiArt/BPM, where you have
> workflow defined in terms of business processes, which are then
> executed
> and can besides other control the flow of work on documents.

Ok, fine, so it sounds that managing workflows over web front end
could be come at some time later :-)

> Left navigation bar is part of WebStyle/ScriboStyle methods (see
> protocol frame navigation). WebStyle is otherwise where you make all
> "styling" of your page (CSS, images, JS, basic page organization, etc)
> and it is site specific. You usually subclass it with your own class
> and
> set up your website to use it. That way you can achieve running many
> websites with different styles on the same image.

ok

> Tabs are also too fixed right now but we will soon make more general
> menu/tab component as part of SqueakSite project, stay tuned!

yeah, that would be great

>> I know, this is beta, so this things are part of the future ?
>
> In near future actually. But one of the Scribo goals is to come closer
> to end users and specially mso called "power users" where we can
> actually compete with Smalltalk to those 1000nds CMSes out there.

oh yes, this is my hope. If as a end user only want to set up a web
site I don't want to learn one API and another and another :-)
And to be "end user" does not mean to not appreciate powerful
features ;-)

Great, so please go ahead, I will stay tuned  :-)

Best Regards

Hans

> Best regards
> Janko
>
> --
> Janko Mivšek
> AIDA/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Newbie] Scribo question

Janko Mivšek
Hans N Beck wrote:

> Ok, fine, so it sounds that managing workflows over web front end
> could be come at some time later :-)

Can you describe a bit more how you see such a workflow? Or provide some
pointer to an example.

Best regards
Janko

Am 21.09.2008 um 20:06 schrieb Janko Mivšek:

> Hans N Beck wrote:
>
>> Ok, fine, so it sounds that managing workflows over web front end
>> could be come at some time later :-)
>
> Can you describe a bit more how you see such a workflow? Or provide
> some
> pointer to an example.

Yes. The example would be the MKS Integrity Server, a commercial
solution for SCM and Change management. An other example is inStep
from the company microTool.

Workflow as I mean it is to setup a graph, where the nodes are states,
for documents for example, and the vertices are transitions. The graph
can be given graphically (MKS) or as a simple Matrix or table
(instep). If a document is in a certain state, only the possible next
states will be offered to the user. The user selects the new state for
the document, which means the document follows the transition and
becomes the new state.  Often, not every transition is available to
every user. In some systems, such a transition can be coupled with
further actions, make a copy and send it to some people, for example.

Hope this helps.

Best regards

Hans