Newbie, a few questions

Charles Monteiro
Hi, I'm a long time Smalltalker , have done some JS work. I'm intrigued by Lively Kernel. Some questions:

  1. Can I run my dev environment totally self contained i.e. without relying on a server to persist my "worlds" ?
  2. If so how do I do that ? i.e. what docs do I read to accomplish that.
  3. Any plans to extend JS syntax to support a Smalltalk like syntax?
  4. Are there already classes, frameworks for database connectivity ?
  5. Any examples of a form based app with transmission to an http servlet ? I'm trying to get the entire roundtrip picture of how one could bulld an app with user interactivity including persistence.
  6. Finally , any Lively Kernel coders that live in the NYC metro area?

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.nycsmalltalk.org

Re: Newbie, a few questions

Robert Krahn
  1. Can I run my dev environment totally self contained i.e. without relying on a server to persist my "worlds" ?
You can run lively worlds without a server by just opening the xhtml files in a browser. For persisting changes you need at least a tiny server part that supports the WebDAV interface.

  1. If so how do I do that ? i.e. what docs do I read to accomplish that.
Setting up an apache server is shown here: http://lively-kernel.org/other/livelyInstallMac.mov
(Works when the server is online again).

That said, our proposed way to interact with Lively is to use the wiki (e.g. http://www.lively-kernel.org/repository/lively-wiki/sandbox/sandbox.xhtml).

  1. Any plans to extend JS syntax to support a Smalltalk like syntax?

  1. Are there already classes, frameworks for database connectivity ?
Just for CouchDB.

  1. Any examples of a form based app with transmission to an http servlet ? I'm trying to get the entire roundtrip picture of how one could bulld an app with user interactivity including persistence.
Example chat application.
Server side: see attachement (uses Node.js)

simpleChat.js (1K) Download Attachment