[Newbie] pier on Linux vs. OSX problem

Bakki Kudva
Hi,

I am new to SmallTalk(Squeak) and Seaside/Pier. I am burning the
midnight oil and it's like drinking from a fire hose. But I am having
fun. :)

I have Squeak/Seaside/Magritte/Pier installed on 2 Debian Sarge Linux
box (home and work) and also on MacBookPro. I did the following on all
3 machines.

I had installed Seaside per the tutorial but I used the new seaside
installer again to pull in scriptaculous etc. I wasn't sure if this
was kosher but I assumed that the installer might be smart enough to
figure out already installed components.  But the Magritte also asked
if it was ok install a newer Seaside2?

On Linux every thing worked just fine but on OSX, Pier (1.0.5-alpha)
did not ask about config options such as base url being /seaside/pier
etc. So Pier does not work and does not appear in seaside/config
either.

Can some one explain if I am doing something wrong, or point me in the
right direction to configure Pier. Thank you very much.

bakki

Re: [Newbie] pier on Linux vs. OSX problem

Lukas Renggli-2
Hi Bakki,

 > I had sent this msg to the Pier list but see no traffic on that list.
 > So I am posting it here and hoping it won't be considered too
 > offtopic.

sorry, I must have missed your question over at the Pier mailing
list. It's quite calm over there at the moment, but that's not always
like this.

 > I had installed Seaside per the tutorial but I used the new seaside
 > installer again to pull in scriptaculous etc. I wasn't sure if this
 > was kosher but I assumed that the installer might be smart enough to
 > figure out already installed components.  But the Magritte also asked
 > if it was ok install a newer Seaside2?

Yes, Magritte/Pier have its own installer and they load exactly the
Seaside/Scriptaculous versions I've deployed them with. In this case
this is an older version, but actually it shouldn't matter. The
installers are simply there to get you a working image, from there
you can easily update using Monticello.

 > On Linux every thing worked just fine but on OSX, Pier (1.0.5-alpha)
 > did not ask about config options such as base url being /seaside/pier
 > etc. So Pier does not work and does not appear in seaside/config
 > either.

Very strange, I expected it to be the other way round. I am
developing on OS X and I just tried to load it into Squeak3.9g-7054
and it worked fine for me.

 > Can some one explain if I am doing something wrong, or point me in
the
 > right direction to configure Pier. Thank you very much.

Try evaluating "PRPierFrame initialize".

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli