Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Nathan Tuttle
I created a CRC calculating algorithm and I want to be able to deploy my application for other people to use. I am not sure how to package an image so that it is user friendly.

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/2/4 Nathan Tuttle <[hidden email]>
I created a CRC calculating algorithm and I want to be able to deploy my application for other people to use. I am not sure how to package an image so that it is user friendly.

Hi Nathan!  First of all, thanks for asking how to share something :)  OpenSource code is always welcome.

So, the first question is, where do you have that code? just in your image?

What you can do, first is to create a Monticello project in www.squeaksource.com. That's a Monticello server where people can create projects, commit, merge, etc. It is a control version system (sorry if you already know all this).  So, the first step is to create a project there and then, from you image, you commit your code there. Then, people will be able to download it or even commit (depending on the settings you choose).

In a second step, further, you can create a Metacello configuration for you project. This will let you have stable versions of your projects, manage dependencies between packages, etc.

But I would start  just with the first step.

I REALLY recommend you to read Pharo By Example book. It is free and very good:  http://www.pharobyexample.org/
You can download it in pdf. There, it is a complete chapter for Monticello. Read that :)

Cheers

Mariano

Any help would be nice.

Thanks

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

George Herolyants-3
2010/2/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I REALLY recommend you to read Pharo By Example book. It is free and very
> good:  http://www.pharobyexample.org/
> You can download it in pdf. There, it is a complete chapter for Monticello.

No, there isn't :) At least in the published version.

On Feb 4, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Nathan Tuttle wrote:

> I created a CRC calculating algorithm and I want to be able to deploy my application for other people to use. I am not sure how to package an image so that it is user friendly.

Hi nathan

what you can do is to copy the OneClick setup and put your image inside?
On which OS are you?
It would be nice to create a simple how to for such kind of question.
Let us know your progress and choices/results

> Any help would be nice.
>
> Thanks

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Ok I will ask oscar if we could get some of the other chapters available.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:06 AM, George Herolyants <[hidden email]> wrote:
2010/2/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I REALLY recommend you to read Pharo By Example book. It is free and very
> good:  http://www.pharobyexample.org/
> You can download it in pdf. There, it is a complete chapter for Monticello.

No, there isn't :) At least in the published version.

Uffff sorry Thanks for checking George :)

I was almost sure there was a chapter...maybe I am confusing with PBE2 which is in development.

Ok, at least in page 119 (section 6.3)  you have a little explanation.

Oscar do you know?

Mariano

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Nathan Tuttle
I am a ne smalltalker. Trying to figure out how to launch apps to
users. I have a nice image.but how do I present to someone to use who
is not a developer?

Sent from my iPod

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Nathan Tuttle <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am a ne smalltalker. Trying to figure out how to launch apps to
users. I have a nice image.but how do I present to someone to use who
is not a developer?

Nathan:  If you just want it to give it to some persons, suppose students, maybe you can just give your own image, or the customize the OneClick as Stef said. With the OneClick the only thing you have to do is to unzip and double click (it works in Linux, MacOS and Windows). Even simpler than an installer. The last OneClick image is this one:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/23260/Pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09ONECLICK.4.zip
Although we will do a new one for Pharo 1.0 release.

You can just download it, uncompress it, change your .changes and .image for YOURs, zip it again and that's all.

 If you want, lets say, each person in the world be able to load your code, put it in squeaksource. Imagine this like a SVN/CVS repository.

Another option is create your own customized .exe installer. Torsted can help you here :)
With this, you can create an .exe windows installer that will install the vm, the image, etc.

Cheers

Mariano

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Nathan Tuttle wrote:
>
>> I created a CRC calculating algorithm and I want to be able to
>> deploy my application for other people to use. I am not sure how to
>> package an image so that it is user friendly.
>
> Hi nathan
>
> what you can do is to copy the OneClick setup and put your image
> inside?
> On which OS are you?
> It would be nice to create a simple how to for such kind of question.
> Let us know your progress and choices/results
>
>> Any help would be nice.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Nathan Tuttle
Awesome! Onemore question. How to bootstrap GUI? When they click on image I want then to see my Ui.
I am still a little lost there.

Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPod

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Nathan Tuttle wrote:
>
>> I created a CRC calculating algorithm and I want to be able to
>> deploy my application for other people to use. I am not sure how to
>> package an image so that it is user friendly.
>
> Hi nathan
>
> what you can do is to copy the OneClick setup and put your image
> inside?
> On which OS are you?
> It would be nice to create a simple how to for such kind of question.
> Let us know your progress and choices/results
>
>> Any help would be nice.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Mariano Martinez Peck

2010/2/4 Nathan Tuttle <[hidden email]>
Awesome! Onemore question. How to bootstrap GUI? When they click on image I want then to see my Ui.

I have to admit I have ever done serious development with "desktop applications". I don't understand what is "your UI" so maybe I say non sense. But, if you save the image with the opened windows, and everything as you want and close it, when you open the image again, it will be exactly the same as it was the last time. So, you can prepare your image as you want and you save it. Then you put it in the zip.

I am still a little lost there.

No problem. Me too :)

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Nathan Tuttle <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
I am a ne smalltalker. Trying to figure out how to launch apps to
users. I have a nice image.but how do I present to someone to use who
is not a developer?

Nathan:  If you just want it to give it to some persons, suppose students, maybe you can just give your own image, or the customize the OneClick as Stef said. With the OneClick the only thing you have to do is to unzip and double click (it works in Linux, MacOS and Windows). Even simpler than an installer. The last OneClick image is this one:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/23260/Pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09ONECLICK.4.zip
Although we will do a new one for Pharo 1.0 release.

You can just download it, uncompress it, change your .changes and .image for YOURs, zip it again and that's all.

 If you want, lets say, each person in the world be able to load your code, put it in squeaksource. Imagine this like a SVN/CVS repository.

Another option is create your own customized .exe installer. Torsted can help you here :)
With this, you can create an .exe windows installer that will install the vm, the image, etc.

Cheers

Mariano

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 4, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Nathan Tuttle wrote:
>
>> I created a CRC calculating algorithm and I want to be able to
>> deploy my application for other people to use. I am not sure how to
>> package an image so that it is user friendly.
>
> Hi nathan
>
> what you can do is to copy the OneClick setup and put your image
> inside?
> On which OS are you?
> It would be nice to create a simple how to for such kind of question.
> Let us know your progress and choices/results
>
>> Any help would be nice.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

fstephany
Hi Nathan,

I dont know if the process is still valid but you can have a look at
this: http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/index.html (section 6).

Cheers,

Fa

On 04/02/10 09:48, Nathan Tuttle wrote:
> Awesome! Onemore question. How to bootstrap GUI? When they click on
> image I want then to see my Ui.
> I am still a little lost there.
>
> Thanks again!!

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Nathan Tuttle
Aww! That answers a big question. Now just make you windows modal somehow (unadjustable) so you can hide the vm from the user.

Maybe that's how...

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 4, 2010, at 2:54 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

2010/2/4 Nathan Tuttle <[hidden email]>
Awesome! Onemore question. How to bootstrap GUI? When they click on image I want then to see my Ui.

I have to admit I have ever done serious development with "desktop applications". I don't understand what is "your UI" so maybe I say non sense. But, if you save the image with the opened windows, and everything as you want and close it, when you open the image again, it will be exactly the same as it was the last time. So, you can prepare your image as you want and you save it. Then you put it in the zip.

I am still a little lost there.

No problem. Me too :)

Thanks again!!

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 4, 2010, at 2:43 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Nathan Tuttle <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
I am a ne smalltalker. Trying to figure out how to launch apps to
users. I have a nice image.but how do I present to someone to use who
is not a developer?

Nathan:  If you just want it to give it to some persons, suppose students, maybe you can just give your own image, or the customize the OneClick as Stef said. With the OneClick the only thing you have to do is to unzip and double click (it works in Linux, MacOS and Windows). Even simpler than an installer. The last OneClick image is this one:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/23260/Pharo1.0-10440-BETAdev09.09ONECLICK.4.zip
Although we will do a new one for Pharo 1.0 release.

You can just download it, uncompress it, change your .changes and .image for YOURs, zip it again and that's all.

 If you want, lets say, each person in the world be able to load your code, put it in squeaksource. Imagine this like a SVN/CVS repository.

Another option is create your own customized .exe installer. Torsted can help you here :)
With this, you can create an .exe windows installer that will install the vm, the image, etc.

Cheers

Mariano

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 4, 2010, at 2:08 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 8:41 AM, Nathan Tuttle wrote:
>
>> I created a CRC calculating algorithm and I want to be able to
>> deploy my application for other people to use. I am not sure how to
>> package an image so that it is user friendly.
>
> Hi nathan
>
> what you can do is to copy the OneClick setup and put your image
> inside?
> On which OS are you?
> It would be nice to create a simple how to for such kind of question.
> Let us know your progress and choices/results
>
>> Any help would be nice.
>>
>> Thanks

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Nathan Tuttle
Thanks!

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 4, 2010, at 2:55 AM, Francois Stephany
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Nathan,
>
> I dont know if the process is still valid but you can have a look at
> this: http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/index.html (section
> 6).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fa
>
> On 04/02/10 09:48, Nathan Tuttle wrote:
>> Awesome! Onemore question. How to bootstrap GUI? When they click on
>> image I want then to see my Ui.
>> I am still a little lost there.
>>
>> Thanks again!!

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Which reminds me a discussion with noury recently.
We should have a script to block the Menu that we don't want to pop up.
In the past there was such a script for squeak so we should have a look at it.

Stef

> Hi Nathan,
>
> I dont know if the process is still valid but you can have a look at
> this: http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/index.html (section 6).
>
> Cheers,
>
> Fa
>
> On 04/02/10 09:48, Nathan Tuttle wrote:
>> Awesome! Onemore question. How to bootstrap GUI? When they click on
>> image I want then to see my Ui.
>> I am still a little lost there.
>>
>> Thanks again!!

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

George Herolyants-3
2010/2/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Uffff sorry Thanks for checking George :)
>
> I was almost sure there was a chapter...maybe I am confusing with PBE2 which
> is in development.

Sorry me :) It looks like I pick on your words. I checked only chapter
titles and completely forgot about sections :) But it's not a question
of terminology :). You were right, there is enough information about
Monticello. Sorry again.

George

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Stéphane Ducasse
I asked oscar and we will put drafts of some cool chapters on the web :)

BTW everybody is welcome to write. I like the idea of simon to get a living book.

Stef

On Feb 4, 2010, at 11:00 AM, George Herolyants wrote:

> 2010/2/4 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Uffff sorry Thanks for checking George :)
>>
>> I was almost sure there was a chapter...maybe I am confusing with PBE2 which
>> is in development.
>
> Sorry me :) It looks like I pick on your words. I checked only chapter
> titles and completely forgot about sections :) But it's not a question
> of terminology :). You were right, there is enough information about
> Monticello. Sorry again.
>
> George

Re: Newbie question deploying smalltalk applications

Stan Shepherd
Hi Nathan, you may find these useful also

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/3563

http://n4.nabble.com/deploying-Squeak-applications-td110272.html#a110272

I think the info in those remains valid.

Cheers,   ...Stan