Newly created Wikipedia article on Andreas Raab is slated for deletion for ridiculously spurious reasons

Newly created Wikipedia article on Andreas Raab is slated for deletion for ridiculously spurious reasons

Edward Boyce-2

Everyone,

     Until yesterday, there wasn't any article on Wikipedia about Andreas.  Someone created one, which is great.  But the Wikipedia editors in their very finite wisdom have decided that Andreas Raab is not sufficiently notable to warrant a Wikipedia article:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Andreas_Raab

  I've long ago given up on the futility of trying to add useful information to Wikipedia, but this injustice demands a response.  I'm not sure what response might be effective, but adding objections to the discussion page is one possibility.  Adding any references to the article itself might be another.

        Best Regards,

              Ed

Re: Newly created Wikipedia article on Andreas Raab is slated for deletion for ridiculously spurious reasons

timrowledge
Well I've registered my objection as best I can and made a couple of small improvements to the page anyway.

I would note that the Squeak and Viewpoints Research Institute pages look like they could do with some work.

tim
"Virtual Memory" means never knowing where your next byte is coming from.

Re: Newly created Wikipedia article on Andreas Raab is slated for deletion for ridiculously spurious reasons

Frank Shearar-3
On 17 January 2013 21:40, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well I've registered my objection as best I can and made a couple of small improvements to the page anyway.
>
> I would note that the Squeak and Viewpoints Research Institute pages look like they could do with some work.

If there's an obituary published in a newspaper, that would count as a
reliable source, I would imagine.

frank

RE: Newly created Wikipedia article on Andreas Raab is slated for deletion for ridiculously spurious reasons

Ron Teitelbaum
I just redid the article with lots of references.

Please feel free to help edit and to rate the article.

Ron Teitelbaum

frank.lesser
To all of us Smalltalkers,
I've just read the posting [squeak-dev] Newly created Wikipedia article on
Andreas Raab isolated for deletion for ridiculously spurious.
that was too much & hurt me.
I have read that he died in Berlin - close too me.
My colleagues, my family & friends  see me since this disaster news not
doing my regular work - I am still shocked.
My own Smalltalk was declared as Spam and deleted.
So I looked at Squeak.org and searched for Andreas.
The community should fix that & I think Alan Kay can help to get Wikipedia's
page validated. I myself will never sponsor Wikipedia.
Sorry for spreading my feelings here.
Frank

isslated for deletion for ridiculously spurious reasons

On 17 January 2013 21:40, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Well I've registered my objection as best I can and made a couple of small
improvements to the page anyway.

> I would note that the Squeak and Viewpoints Research Institute pages look
like they could do with some work.

If there's an obituary published in a newspaper, that would count as a
reliable source, I would imagine.

frank

Re: Newly created Wikipedia article on Andreas Raab is slated for deletion for ridiculously spurious reasons

mokurai
On Thu, January 17, 2013 3:57 pm, Edward Boyce wrote:

>  Everyone,
>
>      Until yesterday, there wasn't any article on Wikipedia about
> Andreas.  Someone created one, which is great.  But the Wikipedia
> editors in their very finite wisdom have decided that Andreas Raab is
> not sufficiently notable to warrant a Wikipedia article:
>
> http://en.wikipediaorg/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Andreas_Raab

The question is whether there are reliable third-party sources about
Andreas, particularly whether there are any that give biographical
details. Most of what comes up in a Google search about him is by him or
the community, which doesn't count by Wikipedia standards. But you might
see whether any of this qualifies.

http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/pers/hd/r/Raab:Andreas.html
Andreas Raab Coauthor index pubzone.org
List of publications from the DBLP Bibliography Server

http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/cf58c358-46ee-465e-b6db-2740e9b32a53
Andreas Raab at SqueakMap
Packages

Of course, if someone can write a biography and get it published in any
recognized industry publication, then someone else could cite that.
Particularly if a recognized authority such as Alan Kay were to write it.

>   I've long ago given up on the futility of trying to add useful
> information to Wikipedia,

I have only found that to be a problem on certain contentious pages,
mainly to do with economic theory. I add stuff to Wikipedia all the time.
I did run into a notability objection once when I created a stub for a
music group, before I got a chance to list their recordings and movie
credits. After that the objection went away.

> but this injustice demands a response.  I'm
> not sure what response might be effective, but adding objections to
> the discussion page is one possibility.

Simply objecting will not be effective. Explaining that you have material
to add will get you a few days to add it. If you don't have anything to
add that meets Wikipedia's requirements, please do not complain about the
injustice of the world.

> Adding any references to the
> article itself might be another.

References provided above.

--
Edward Mokurai
(&#40664;&#38647;/&#2344;&#2367;&#2358;&#2348;&#2381;&#2342;&#2327;&#2352;&#2381;&#2332;/&#1606;&#1588;&#1576;&#1583;&#1711;&#1585;&#1580;)