[News - Via metaversed] VNC in Second Life client

12

[News - Via metaversed] VNC in Second Life client

Florent THIERY-2
Last news, quite groundbreaking if people considered vnc support in
croquet a inherent advantage...

"It seems he has got TightVNC powering the little demo you see in the
picture here -- that's an Second Life inworld media texture showing
his exported desktop in real time. Pretty neat huh?"

It had to be done, didn't it ? :)

http://metaversed.com/25-jul-2007/second-life-within-second-life-cool-vnc-demo

There are some enhancements to VNC-like apps that allow integrating
video/openGL content ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VirtualGL ).
Wouldn't it be a preliminary croquet/sl integration (run croquet in a
sl texture, both executed on the same computer) -- performance left
aside ?

Last question: is there any V4L support in croquet ?

Cheers

Florent

Croquet SIG in Second Life.

LawsonEnglish
There is a Second Life group called Second Life to Croquet. SL citizens
interested in trying to use Croquet worlds with other SL citizens should
join this group so we can interact within Croquet and do some tinkering.

I'm pretty sure I can get SL chat and IMs routed into Croquet without
any problem. Someone at IBM did this for a generic chat-translation
application.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-second-life-3.html

Slightly more tricky will be to make sure they aren't broadcast to every
user of a Coquet island but if all else fails, I can make the IM/chat
window separate from the croquet view.

Once that gets working, then making SL-oriented tools for content
creation would be tres kooll.

Lawson (Saijanai in Second Life)

Erik Anderson wrote:
> Directly modifying the SL viewer seems a bit scary to me.  Wouldn't an
> in-world object or attachment serving as a "spybot" for the croquet
> world (and vice versa) be a bit easier to develop and maintain?

It might be, but I'm not sure how to trap IM and group chat via such a
thing in world. and any such technique would be using a hole in SL
security that Linden Labs would plug as soon as possible, because
private IMs are supposed to be private.

Better would be a "blessed" interface with the client's chat/IM I/O that
plug-ins and external applications could use, but they're so far behind
on bug-fixes, not to mention their transition to the new "HetGrid"
architecture, that I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

This is something that *I*, as an intelligent script kiddie, can
probably do in a short while.

post card use?

LawsonEnglish
I saw how to do it once and now cannot find it.

How do I get the information from a postcard into an email?

Re: post card use?

Paul Sheldon-2
Did you mean "post card as xml"?

I have copy pasted into ichat to send "post card as xml" between my two
macs.

You have to be visiting a world from a world with a tools menu,
as I far as I've understood.

Hope this helps.

Re: post card use?

LawsonEnglish
[hidden email] wrote:

> Did you mean "post card as xml"?
>
> I have copy pasted into ichat to send "post card as xml" between my two
> macs.
>
> You have to be visiting a world from a world with a tools menu,
> as I far as I've understood.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thats the thing. I can't find that option. I've got the tools menu. I
can find the location item in that menu. I can't find the xml option. I
found it once before and it seems to have vanished.

Re: post card use?

Darius Clarke
The tool menu is only in the Tweak demo world.

On 7/31/07, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Did you mean "post card as xml"?
> >
> > I have copy pasted into ichat to send "post card as xml" between my two
> > macs.
> >
> > You have to be visiting a world from a world with a tools menu,
> > as I far as I've understood.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >

> Thats the thing. I can't find that option. I've got the tools menu. I
> can find the location item in that menu. I can't find the xml option. I
> found it once before and it seems to have vanished.

Re: Croquet SIG in Second Life.

Kelly Rued-2
What chat is going to be routed to the croquet island from SL? Will you be able to get all your IMs from SL while in Croquet  (even from people who aren't in the croquet part too)?

Will people in the Croquet island be able to message you in SL (from Croquet) or is this a one-way from SL-to-croquet (to start)?

I think it would be beneficial to also look at using a scripted SL object (it's just easier for users since most people are going to be a little apprehensive with a hacked SL client). Rather than using IM/group chat, it might be good to have a dedicated SL attachment that players could use to have more control/options (via a HUD) so they aren't just stuck broadcasting everything they say via IM into Croquet (or is that not how the modified client works- how does the user control what gets sent to croquet?).

-Kelly

Re: post card use?

LawsonEnglish
Darius Clarke wrote:
> The tool menu is only in the Tweak demo world.

Tools menu => What's my location. Brings up the post card.

Now, how do I get that xml? I seem to recall seeing something like "post
card as xml" before but can't find it in any menu now.

> On 7/31/07, Lawson English <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>>> Did you mean "post card as xml"?
>>>
>>> I have copy pasted into ichat to send "post card as xml" between my two
>>> macs.
>>>
>>> You have to be visiting a world from a world with a tools menu,
>>> as I far as I've understood.
>>>
>>> Hope this helps.
>>>

>> Thats the thing. I can't find that option. I've got the tools menu. I
>> can find the location item in that menu. I can't find the xml option. I
>> found it once before and it seems to have vanished.

Re: post card use?

Paul Sheldon-2
"Thats the thing. I can't find that option. I've got the tools menu. I
can find the location item in that menu. I can't find the xml option. I
found it once before and it seems to have vanished."

Now comes the tough part. We got to "make sure we are on the same page"
without being in the same place. That is precisely what is scary about your
request to make connections.

Once a connection is made, it becomes a piece of cake. I parse your
question piece by piece. Going at things in a panic, you blood supply
to your brain gets less and you have a prey freeze reaction where your
nervous system tries to disappear. This is bad to do.

Don't panic!

"I can't find the xml option." Hypothetical answer, it never was there!
This is a constructed word "post card as xml" by a "non-definitive source".
Contrary to some idiologies, you must invent meanings and try them out,
don't leave it to Eve as Mark Twain wrote beautifully about love.

You paste that gobbledy gook into an e mail or iChat.

Then send it to whomever (I sent to myself through wifi iChat) and
pasted into the menu item similar field in go to a world.

Then, when you press OK in that menu item, a looking glass or stargate
appears to that world.

In my exercises with my own VirtualWorld image in which I have projects
I need merely have wifi on to do the drill of this code "working the
chevrons"
as stargate would have and I can jump from one world to another of my
creation.

So far, I only have a primative land0, no magic ninja stuff, that's Americo
book 2,
I believe.

The graphical real estate construction that will follow in my reading
is actually only a mental roadblock to what Americo calls AI of this gaming
that from a huge amount of posts on croquet dev (unread by me)
is the basis of gaming on OLPC.

So, here is my working hypothesis on why your mind didn't work
(graduate level math people said I should just grade
to avoid letigious people,
but I chose, instead, to believe that that is impolite and call that faith)
:

you were thrown off by the pair of words "as xml" thinking the compound
word was constructed logically (by your logic).
Compound words are often constructed at the "far out level" (say grad level
math)
to avoid compound word collisions between communities that define words
actually in context, not with some politically correct definitive source on
top.
It is dubious words can get meanings soley from mommies
giving them extensional rather than merely intentional meaning.

People learn by telling stories, not merely to admire scientists
as the normal educational system does, but by doing with images
makes symbols said this multichannel thing that involves the play of the
child.

I'm difficult to parse and close with summary :
I believe "as xml" misguided you; compound word defined in toto not built
to see semantics; use two menu items; construct stargate; go there.

Get it? Got it ? Good?

Re: post card use?

Mark P. McCahill-2

On Aug 1, 2007, at 1:46 AM, Lawson English wrote:

> Darius Clarke wrote:
>> The tool menu is only in the Tweak demo world.
>>

> Tools menu => What's my location. Brings up the post card.
>
> Now, how do I get that xml? I seem to recall seeing something like
> "post card as xml" before but can't find it in any menu now.

postcard as XML is in the dialog box that appears when you choose
"What's my location" - see thje second item from the bottom of the
box...

<joinme><routerAddress>152.3.214.120:59301</
routerAddress><routerId>e1c059f38133f6fe372c50b235367655</
routerId><routerName>Simple Demo World
(user-152-3-214-120.wireless.duke.edu)</routerName><vpn>mainEntry</
vpn></joinme>

Mark P. McCahill
Architect, Computing Systems
Duke University - Office of Information Technology
334 Blackwell Street, Suite 2107
Durham, North Carolina 27701
USA

[hidden email]
+1 919-724-0708  (mobile)
+1 929 668 2964  (fax)

Re: post card use?

LawsonEnglish
[hidden email] wrote:

> So, here is my working hypothesis on why your mind didn't work
> (graduate level math people said I should just grade
> to avoid letigious people,
> but I chose, instead, to believe that that is impolite and call that faith)
> :
>
> you were thrown off by the pair of words "as xml" thinking the compound
> word was constructed logically (by your logic).
> Compound words are often constructed at the "far out level" (say grad level
> math)
> to avoid compound word collisions between communities that define words
> actually in context, not with some politically correct definitive source on
> top.
> It is dubious words can get meanings soley from mommies
> giving them extensional rather than merely intentional meaning.
>
> People learn by telling stories, not merely to admire scientists
> as the normal educational system does, but by doing with images
> makes symbols said this multichannel thing that involves the play of the
> child.
>
> I'm difficult to parse and close with summary :
> I believe "as xml" misguided you; compound word defined in toto not built
> to see semantics; use two menu items; construct stargate; go there.
>
> Get it? Got it ? Good?

Thanks for the analysis of the mis-workings of my brain... ;-)

I'm well aware of the xml inside the dialog bxo. I simply cant figure
out how to copy it out. I manged the other night, but I've either
forgotten how to use the Smalltalk interface effectively (always
possible given my ADHD brain + mold damage), or the options have become
borked. I say the latter because things don't appear as I think they
should on my screen. Halo's helpbubbles a;most all appear behind the
Corquet view, as do alll the menus and other controls that are evoked by
halo.

When I select the xml text within the dialog box, and chose "Copy to
paste buffer" from the menu, I get an error "This object has no name".
"Copy text" doesn't seem to anything.

Eventually, the view fro Croque goes away, after a seemingly endless
loop of errors "This object has no name" which I can abandon or proceed
with with equal non-success.

This is a pristine copy of Croquet obtained by unzipping the downloaded
.zip file.

Re: post card use?

Peter Moore-5
Why are you using the halos? Try right-clicking (possibly middle-
clicking depending on your platform) on the highlighted text. Or just
use the standard copy/paste keyboard combos alt-c/alt-v on Windows
and command-c/command-v on a Mac.

-Peter

> When I select the xml text within the dialog box, and chose "Copy
> to paste buffer" from the menu, I get an error "This object has no
> name". "Copy text" doesn't seem to anything.

Re: post card use? (brain parse with your psychological permission, thanks, I understand players)

Paul Sheldon-2

Lawson English wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> So, here is my working hypothesis on why your mind didn't work
>>
>> Get it? Got it ? Good?
>>

> Thanks for the analysis of the mis-workings of my brain... ;-)

Ah, a nonletigious student, The once Last Mimsy loves you.

> I'm well aware of the xml inside the dialog bxo.

You meant bxo, not better xo. I understand!

;-)

> I simply cant figure out how to copy it out.

I am on the mac platform and the virtual machine simply copies onto what
is called the mac clipboard.

> I manged the other night, but I've either forgotten how to use the
> Smalltalk interface effectively (always possible given my ADHD brain

I wonder if seneludens anticipatory reflexes is related to ADHD lack of
focus. Are old folks easily diagnosed with this label? Must ask. Hard to
cure a label with a video game,
easy to cure something deeper than labeling.

> + mold damage)

Aha, I knew the wired rather than the wet brain model was right! The wet
model causes mold damage.

Hey, just kidding.

;-)

> , or the options have become borked.

This definitely tempts me to get letigious, but I seem to like the word
bork, rhymes with mork from ork, you see.

> I say the latter because things don't appear as I think they should on
> my screen.

Gotta know which platform (computer brand) to get a clue.

> Halo's helpbubbles a;most all appear behind the Corquet view, as do
> alll the menus and other controls that are evoked by halo.

Maybe location is in what you had the boldness to define above, but I
haven't looked hard there. With Americo's course world classes, I get
the name of the world
but not the whole "shebangbork". I don't go there.

> When I select the xml text within the dialog box, and chose "Copy to
> paste buffer" from the menu, I get an error "This object has no name".
> "Copy text" doesn't seem to anything.

This is eminently clear, I get it. So, my focus becomes : please
elaborate "the" to possesive form to strengthen the composition.
What the heck do I mean by that.
Well, I waxed fundamental on how folks misunderstand each other, you see.
Sorry.
Illustrations flesh out terse headers that reduce bandwidth for search
engines, but are useless for play-learning language.
I don't have copy to paste buffer on my mac's menu.
You see me using possesive form "mac's".

error "This object has no name" suggests you used operant behavior to
get at a croquet menu that dealt with objects
rather than a desktop gesture on whatever computer possesses the ability
to copy paste (what you would put in place of "the" and my "mac's").

> Eventually, the view fro Croque goes away, after a seemingly endless
> loop of errors "This object has no name" which I can abandon or
> proceed with with equal non-success.

This seems to confirm my "not working hypothesis" for you.

> This is a pristine copy of Croquet obtained by unzipping the
> downloaded .zip file.

Yeah, I do this . I have a download on a cd in case I mess up the
language so I can get back on the same page.

Executive summary :
I believe you were thinking you had to be totally inside the virtual
machine to make copy pastes and wished to learn to get copy pastes by
some sort of system event scripting in second life that you are cool at.

You don't have to go there, just look at the right menus and the wiser
system programmers than us just have it in a gesture for you.

If you are on a pc, and the possesive becomes pc rather than "the" or my
"mac's", use control c and control v.

To some extent all platforms use a sort of polymorphism in gestures to
insure not colliding reserved words.

Does this help? Incidently, parsing is fun for me, don't panic.

Re: post card use?

LawsonEnglish
Peter Moore wrote:

> Why are you using the halos? Try right-clicking (possibly
> middle-clicking depending on your platform) on the highlighted text.
> Or just use the standard copy/paste keyboard combos alt-c/alt-v on
> Windows and command-c/command-v on a Mac.
>
> -Peter
>
>> When I select the xml text within the dialog box, and chose "Copy to
>> paste buffer" from the menu, I get an error "This object has no
>> name". "Copy text" doesn't seem to anything.

Why indeed? Apparently, throughout the myriad attempts to copy, I never
tried this, save the first time.

As I said, ADHD + mold damage. The inability to try a logical sequence
of tests is no doubt elated to my getting lost while counting to 10
mentally.  Sorry to take up everyone's time with a test that is even
more fundamental than "is it plugged in?":-(

Using Croquet via internet on a mac.

LawsonEnglish
OK, so moving past my ludicrously non-functional brain, I now need help
getting a connection with someone, anyone, ever the internet.

I've been trying with one person on a PC but I'm using a Mac. Are there
specific issues we need to consider? I couldn't get the Mac to connect
to the standard open world either.

Thanks.

I'm willing to try to connect at any time day or night since I have no
life right now.

VISTA crashes Croquet?

ken.hubbell
(sorry for the repost, forgot to change the subject line).

Has anyone tried Croquet with Windows VISTA. I tried running it and the
VM crashes. I believe I have narrowed down the issue to OpenGL
incompatibilities causing the camera object to fail instantiation. I
have installed the latest video drivers, but it still crashes.

Any insights would be helpful.

Thanks,
Ken

Re: VISTA crashes Croquet?

Ross Boylan-2
On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 14:49 -0400, Ken Hubbell wrote:

> (sorry for the repost, forgot to change the subject line).
>
> Has anyone tried Croquet with Windows VISTA. I tried running it and the
> VM crashes. I believe I have narrowed down the issue to OpenGL
> incompatibilities causing the camera object to fail instantiation. I
> have installed the latest video drivers, but it still crashes.
>
> Any insights would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Ken
I read that Vista has no openGL support.  I assume there's some way to
add it in.  I have no personal experience with Vista--but am curious,
since I'm thinking of getting a new computer/OS.

Ross

Re: VISTA crashes Croquet?

Erik Anderson-9
Well, can you check your video card manufacturer's website and see if they are providing OpenGL with their newest drivers?  This OpenGL-not-supported-thingy was quite a controversy for a while, but it sounds like MS has relented and is permitting driver manufacturers to include OpenGL in their products again.