News from Mars

Carla F. Griggio
Hey!
I wanted to let you know that I've been updating my blog on Mars with the latest news, I've just posted some videos showing how different kinds of layouts and widgets are working together on both Cocoa and GTK.

For the ones that are interested in some implementation challenges that I had while building layouts that could work for both Cocoa and GTK, I recommend reading this post: http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/the-challenges-behind-building-mars-cross-platform-layouts-on-top-of-cocoa-and-gtk/

Cheers!
Carla.

Re: [smaltalk-gsoc-students] News from Mars

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks carla.
Native widgets opens really new horizons :)

Stef

On Sep 16, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey!
I wanted to let you know that I've been updating my blog on Mars with the latest news, I've just posted some videos showing how different kinds of layouts and widgets are working together on both Cocoa and GTK.

For the ones that are interested in some implementation challenges that I had while building layouts that could work for both Cocoa and GTK, I recommend reading this post: http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/the-challenges-behind-building-mars-cross-platform-layouts-on-top-of-cocoa-and-gtk/

Cheers!
Carla.

Re: [smaltalk-gsoc-students] News from Mars

Alexandre Bergel-5
+1

On Sep 16, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> thanks carla.
> Native widgets opens really new horizons :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Sep 16, 2013, at 7:44 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey!
>> I wanted to let you know that I've been updating my blog on Mars with the latest news, I've just posted some videos showing how different kinds of layouts and widgets are working together on both Cocoa and GTK.
>>
>> The blog: http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/.
>>
>> For the ones that are interested in some implementation challenges that I had while building layouts that could work for both Cocoa and GTK, I recommend reading this post: http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/the-challenges-behind-building-mars-cross-platform-layouts-on-top-of-cocoa-and-gtk/
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Carla.
>>
>> --

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Pharo-users] News from Mars

Damien Cassou
Hi Carla,

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Carla F. Griggio
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I wanted to let you know that I've been updating my blog on Mars with the
> latest news, I've just posted some videos showing how different kinds of
> layouts and widgets are working together on both Cocoa and GTK.

that's great news! I think Mars is what I need for the Pharo Launcher.
Do you think I could implement what you see on the screenshot
(https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher/) or
something similar using Mars?

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] News from Mars

EstebanLM
ha! that's exactly what I demanded to the student of "abstract platform spec" as a proof of concept of his work :)

(is a good way to match two of the projects I'm mentoring: giving them a common denominator :P)

Esteban

On Sep 17, 2013, at 1:51 PM, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Carla,
>
> On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 7:44 PM, Carla F. Griggio
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I wanted to let you know that I've been updating my blog on Mars with the
>> latest news, I've just posted some videos showing how different kinds of
>> layouts and widgets are working together on both Cocoa and GTK.
>
> that's great news! I think Mars is what I need for the Pharo Launcher.
> Do you think I could implement what you see on the screenshot
> (https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/PharoLauncher/) or
> something similar using Mars?
>

> --
> Damien Cassou
> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>
> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
> losing enthusiasm."
> Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-users] News from Mars

Carla F. Griggio
I think it's possible to program that window with Mars :) But I also guess that from each row of the tree you can open a pop-up menu with options, right? That is not yet done, although there's some work on it already, and it was among my next steps.

Now, a further step would be to "hide" the Pharo image so the Mars application can be launched as a normal native application, but we haven't discussed about it yet :P

Esteban, your idea was to do a describe a spec of that window to build the corresponding Mars application? I think that at least the "skeleton" (plain UI) of the Pharo Launcher is simple enough for a new Mars user to do, the MarsClassesAndComments example is a very very simple application that uses a MarsTree list, so maybe he can base the Pharo Launcher application on that one and then see how to use a MarsButton also by just looking for references of that class in other examples.
Anyway, by the end of this week I should have more documentation on how to use each widget.

On Sep 17, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Carla F. Griggio <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

yes...PharoLauncher is made with Spec, and is quite simple, so I thought it was a good case.
now... *you* do not has to do it, that's Ben's homework.

Esteban