Next decade

frank.lesser

The next decade is a Haskell decade. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_(programming_language)

I am working currently on the LSWGVM being able to run Haskell.

As with LSWVST (Smalltalk running on the LSWGVM ) I will develop a Windows integrated Haskell System.

Why Haskell?

Haskell is IMHO the most advanced programming language today. It has several „sub-dialects“  and allows efficiently parallelising algorithms.

Haskell is used by leading software&hardware manufactures (Microsoft, Intel).

I feel that my customers are going away from Smalltalk & I have promised myself to do something new at the start of every decade.

Haskell is not new to me – but developing a Windows integrated Haskell running on LSWGVM is new.

While I will maintain & develop the LSWGVM running an entirely different language on it will improve its quality.

Frank

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Next decade

Thomas Muhr

Hi Frank,

does investing your efforts into a  Haskell project mean that the DNG project has been finished? I haven’t heard much of the ongoing development lately. I wonder that your customers are moving away from Smalltalk as I expected that by migrating to DNG they will be well equipped with all arguments and technical options to STAY with Smalltalk.

But what is definitely  lowering Smalltalkers’ loyalty to their “mother tongue” are those actors in the field who are buying into  a Smalltalk technology simply to let it die, but not without soaking the users.

Thomas

*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Next decade

Alejandro F. Reimondo
Hi Thomas,

I want to share my personal point of view on the topic
 and join your call for dialogue on smalltalk today (and next decade);
 my opinions on this email (and any email on this topic)
 are personal and not related with Lesser-Software nor
 any of the projects or efforts I made with Frank on
 building alternative development for Smalltalk.
I put here some information about DNG because you
 said that you have not information; you and other
 can write emails, call or contact me by skype ( aleReimondo )
  asking for any information you need.

Said that, I feel relaxed and without commercial corceps :-)

>does investing your efforts into a  Haskell project
> mean that the DNG project has been finished?
>I haven’t heard much of the ongoing development lately.
> I wonder that your customers are moving away from
> Smalltalk as I expected that by migrating to DNG
> they will be well equipped with all arguments and
> technical options to STAY with Smalltalk.

I can´t respond about Frank nor his (new?) customers
 choosing Haskell today.
As I know there is no special interest in moving to Haskell
 nor in any other language. Most companies I know, that made
 investments in VSE in the past and preserve today their
 investment do not help to have alternate solutions to migration
 nor enhancements at "language"/core level. (why?)

DNG project was designed to be inclusive, it means to
 bring support to multiple semantics/languages; I was
 responsible about the quality of the VM for the very
 first stage of the project and of the invention a few key
 features to enable that support.
As you know, I work using smalltalk, not assembler,
 all what I have implemented was all at that level;
 and important perfomance improvements exploit
 VM features but are implemented at smalltalk level.

I made all testings of diferent LSW VM versions for years
 and was responsible of the quality of Lesser-Software VM
 investing a lot of resources to point to bugs and testing at
 application and core level. I have written testing frameworks
 that make millons (yes! +1M tests) of tests that evidenced
 failures in most/all smalltalk implementations and ensure
 Lesser-Software VM is free of most errors and
 high quality (according to test results and application
 level tests).

Most of the times, people do not expect inclusive/complementary
 solutions; and vote for segregation (division and fanatism of their
 choosen smalltalk dialect); IMO that make difficult to
 offer something that is inclusive today (people is trained
 to efficiently reject alternatives than accepting/exploiting
 diversity).

On one side, I see companies staying in (our VS)smalltalk
 but also I see no companies investing in alternatives...
 in the worse case I see money has been sent
 to providers that inhibit develoment in VSE and
 demostrated no interest in our investments nor
 trajectory promoting smalltalk.

>But what is definitely  lowering Smalltalkers’ loyalty to
> their “mother tongue” are those actors in the field
> who are buying into  a Smalltalk technology simply
> to let it die, but not without soaking the users.

I attached at end of this email some words said by Eliot,
 in Argentina, in an event I have not participated, because
 the organizers offended our Non-Proffit Association
 ( www.Smalltalking.net ) in the past.
The words was said in the face of Cincom employees
 and they said nothing to correct the thoughts
 nor the feelings of the audience.

The problem is not constrained to bussiness, the crisis
 make people and organizations out of bussiness ecosystem,
 also suffer the actions of employees that don´t know what to do
 to obtain the money they spend.

I think that at this state of the situation it is important
 to join forces and do not gravitate to easy solutions (e.g.
 to have a passive attitude waiting for a product to buy
 without helping development), and of course, do not
 temptate opportunists that will try to offer patching
 services without a real compromise with our
 history.
In the past I tried to promote the fundation of a local
 Joint Venture organization to promote alternate
 solution to local companies suffering problems
 developing with smalltalk. I had failed at that time;
 it is a hard time here in Argentina to promote
 joint activities...
IMHO it is a way we can go for a solution.
In case of companies and people are interested to start
 this way, I will be happy to put my time and efforts on
 organization and promoting of this enterprise.

Thomas, and others; thank you for promoting conversations
 here about the future with smalltalk, from our VS perspective.

Cheers,
Ale.

"Cincom is a company where software is going to die" - Eliot Miranda
*** this signature added by listserv *** *** Visit http://www.listserv.dfn.de/archives/vswe-l.html *** *** for archive browsing and VSWE-L membership management ***

Re: Next decade

hernan.wilkinson
Hi Alejandro,
 as organizer of Smalltalks and member of FAST I have to comment on what you said about Smalltalks.

 You say: "... in Argentina, in an event I have not participated, because
 the organizers offended our Non-Proffit Association
 ( www.Smalltalking.net ) in the past."

 You know it is not true what you are saying. We never offended Smalltalking, may be you are the one felling offended because we did not do what you wanted, but you are not Smalltalking.
 We invited you (I personally did it) the first two years to participate and you did not wanted to do it. The first year you made public on the Smalltalking mailing list your thoughts about the conference, thoughts not nice at all, and that made contradictory you participation. The second year you personally decided not to participate. I have all the emails in case it is necessary to show them.
 So please Alejandro, let's stop saying things that are not true, let's try to add and not to subtract ok?, the Smalltalk community is "small"... we all finally get to know each other and "las mentiras tienen patas cortas".

 Hernan.