Nicolas tests for MultiByteFileStreamTest

Nicolas tests for MultiByteFileStreamTest

Mariano Martinez Peck
Nicolas: I was trying to integrate your changes from here: http://source.squeak.org/trunk/MultilingualTests-nice.4.mcz

in the latest Pharo Core 11116  and I have 2 failures and 2 errors. I just load the MultiByteFileStreamTest from that version.

The question is, should I integrate some changes from MultiByteFileStream that are in squeak trunk so that the tests are green ?

Thanks

Mariano

Re: Nicolas tests for MultiByteFileStreamTest

Nicolas Cellier
2009/12/26 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Nicolas: I was trying to integrate your changes from here:
> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/MultilingualTests-nice.4.mcz
>
> in the latest Pharo Core 11116  and I have 2 failures and 2 errors. I just
> load the MultiByteFileStreamTest from that version.
>
> The question is, should I integrate some changes from MultiByteFileStream
> that are in squeak trunk so that the tests are green ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Mariano

Hmm, don't remember...
BackChunk problem seems related to Damien changes (oldBack vs back)
ByteConverter problem seems connected to lazy initialization of latin1Map

2009/12/26 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>:

> 2009/12/26 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
>> Nicolas: I was trying to integrate your changes from here:
>> http://source.squeak.org/trunk/MultilingualTests-nice.4.mcz
>>
>> in the latest Pharo Core 11116  and I have 2 failures and 2 errors. I just
>> load the MultiByteFileStreamTest from that version.
>>
>> The question is, should I integrate some changes from MultiByteFileStream
>> that are in squeak trunk so that the tests are green ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Mariano
>>

> Hmm, don't remember...
> BackChunk problem seems related to Damien changes (oldBack vs back)
> ByteConverter problem seems connected to lazy initialization of latin1Map

1) You must pick TextConverter>>initialize
2) one test uses #collect:as you must pick from trunk (a very nice
message to have in Pharo too
http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1698 )
3) Pharo use Unicode for example for converting MacRoman, while Squeak
use CP1252 (the windows extended latin1)
  Pharo changes are using more advanced Sophie refactorings, so don't
touch without asking authority :)
  Is the test too simplistic ? Nonetheless, my expectations are
broken... I expect that If I can decode a char, It will then be
encoded the same.
4) for UTF16, I don't know what's going on...
5) lineEnding problem comes from wantsLineEndConversion inst var in
MultiByteFileStream which is not initialized correctly
  In squeak it is initialized automatically when setting
#lineEndConvention: in Pharo it requires an explicit
#wantsLineEndConversion: send...
  either change the test or update Pharo (by the way, this was an
enhancement from Keith findable in mantis)
6) for backChunk, ask Damien and Nile maintainers for advice.
  oldBack was replaced by back, and this is not clear to me if it
should be so or not...
  I don't know if my TestCase is a valid specification for backCunk
too. That's what I would expect...
  but anyway, backChunk sounds like shit-to-be-removed
  - it has no clear definition / TestCase
  - implementation is inefficient
  - it is clearly broken by MultiByteFileStream (the expected failure)
  unfortunately, it is used...

Nicolas