Nile and pharo?

Markus Fritsche
Hello,

I installed Nile from the Universe. I wonder if it's a) my image or if b)
Nile/ c) Pharo Traits is broken? For instance, NSCollectionStreamTest gives
me an error:

'A class or trait does not properly resolve a conflict between multiple
traits it uses.'

Re: Nile and pharo?

Markus Fritsche
Markus Fritsche <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I installed Nile from the Universe. I wonder if it's a) my image or if b)
> Nile/ c) Pharo Traits is broken? For instance, NSCollectionStreamTest gives
> me an error:

> 'A class or trait does not properly resolve a conflict between multiple
> traits it uses.'

I downloaded the advertised pharo-dev image, installed universe, nile,
started the test... same error (so, at least once, a) is not the culprit
:-P)

Re: Nile and pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks markus. It is probably related to the point alex raised.
Since now traits do not share their methods it may happen that a
conflict
arise when it should not.
Could you do me a favor and load the fixes proposed by alex that he
published in the Traits
project on squeaksource. And redo your experiment this way we may
learn something.

Stef

On Apr 18, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Markus Fritsche wrote:

> Markus Fritsche <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I installed Nile from the Universe. I wonder if it's a) my image or
>> if b)
>> Nile/ c) Pharo Traits is broken? For instance,
>> NSCollectionStreamTest gives
>> me an error:
>
>> 'A class or trait does not properly resolve a conflict between
>> multiple
>> traits it uses.'
>
> I downloaded the advertised pharo-dev image, installed universe, nile,
> started the test... same error (so, at least once, a) is not the
> culprit
> :-P)

Re: Nile and pharo?

Markus Fritsche
Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks markus. It is probably related to the point alex raised. Since now
> traits do not share their methods it may happen that a conflict arise when
> it should not. Could you do me a favor and load the fixes proposed by alex
> that he published in the Traits project on squeaksource. And redo your
> experiment this way we may learn something.

The two methods from 04/15? I did, but that didn't change the test status...

regards, Markus

Re: Nile and pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks.
too bad.
May be damien will have a look at nile.
I just drove 10 hours today and I'm dead :)

On Apr 19, 2009, at 3:05 AM, Markus Fritsche wrote:

> Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks markus. It is probably related to the point alex raised.
>> Since now
>> traits do not share their methods it may happen that a conflict
>> arise when
>> it should not. Could you do me a favor and load the fixes proposed
>> by alex
>> that he published in the Traits project on squeaksource. And redo
>> your
>> experiment this way we may learn something.
>
> The two methods from 04/15? I did, but that didn't change the test
> status...
>
> regards, Markus

Re: Nile and pharo?

Alexandre Bergel
> Thanks markus. It is probably related to the point alex raised.

My fix solve the problem. Loading my fix _before_ loading nile, make
all the test green

> Since now traits do not share their methods it may happen that a
> conflict
> arise when it should not.
> Could you do me a favor and load the fixes proposed by alex that he
> published in the Traits
> project on squeaksource. And redo your experiment this way we may
> learn something.

After my fix, all the test are green. This is enough to convince me to
push the fix in PharoInbox.

Note that if you load the fix _after_ having loaded Nile, the test
will remain red. Conflicting methods are set when loading Traits.

ISSUE #725 has been updated.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Apr 18, 2009, at 9:43 PM, Markus Fritsche wrote:
>
>> Markus Fritsche <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I installed Nile from the Universe. I wonder if it's a) my image or
>>> if b)
>>> Nile/ c) Pharo Traits is broken? For instance,
>>> NSCollectionStreamTest gives
>>> me an error:
>>
>>> 'A class or trait does not properly resolve a conflict between
>>> multiple
>>> traits it uses.'
>>
>> I downloaded the advertised pharo-dev image, installed universe,
>> nile,
>> started the test... same error (so, at least once, a) is not the
>> culprit
>> :-P)

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Nile and pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
ok great news!
I will add that to the list of items to integrate... argh - busy
holidays luckily this is cold and raining (yes the south of france is
not
anymore what it was used to be)>

Stef

On Apr 20, 2009, at 11:41 PM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

>> Thanks markus. It is probably related to the point alex raised.
>
> My fix solve the problem. Loading my fix _before_ loading nile, make
> all the test green
>
>> Since now traits do not share their methods it may happen that a
>> conflict
>> arise when it should not.
>> Could you do me a favor and load the fixes proposed by alex that he
>> published in the Traits
>> project on squeaksource. And redo your experiment this way we may
>> learn something.
>
> After my fix, all the test are green. This is enough to convince me to
> push the fix in PharoInbox.
>
> Note that if you load the fix _after_ having loaded Nile, the test
> will remain red. Conflicting methods are set when loading Traits.
>
> ISSUE #725 has been updated.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre

>>> I downloaded the advertised pharo-dev image, installed universe,
>>> nile,
>>> started the test... same error (so, at least once, a) is not the
>>> culprit
>>> :-P)

Re: Nile and pharo?

Damien Cassou
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> ok great news!
> I will add that to the list of items to integrate... argh - busy
> holidays luckily this is cold and raining (yes the south of france is
> not
> anymore what it was used to be)>

Weather is quite nice in Arcachon :-).

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

Re: Nile and pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
what! ;)
here it is cold and raining.... only 300km away on the east.

Stef