No Execution Incompatibility of D5 and D6 + Workaround

No Execution Incompatibility of D5 and D6 + Workaround

Carsten Haerle
Dolphin XP 5.1 and Dolphin X6 are both incompatible with hardware DEP
(Data Execution Protection) of Windows XP2 and Windows 2003 Server (32
and 64 bit). AMD Opteron and newer Intel processors have hardware
support for DEP.

If you install Dolphin on a Windows 2003 Opteron system and start it
the first time, it immediately crashes with the following Windows
exception:

Dolphin XP5.1: Invalid Access to memory location. Writing 0x76B5BA4,
IP0x76B5BA4
Dolphin X6: Invalid Access to memory location. Writing 0xA4170F0,
IP0xA4170F0

A workaround is to disable DEP unter Control Panel/System but please
fix this Andy.

Regards

Carsten Härle

Re: No Execution Incompatibility of D5 and D6 + Workaround

Andy Bower-3
Carsten,

> Dolphin XP 5.1 and Dolphin X6 are both incompatible with hardware DEP
> (Data Execution Protection) of Windows XP2 and Windows 2003 Server (32
> and 64 bit). AMD Opteron and newer Intel processors have hardware
> support for DEP.
>
> If you install Dolphin on a Windows 2003 Opteron system and start it
> the first time, it immediately crashes with the following Windows
> exception:
>
> Dolphin XP5.1: Invalid Access to memory location. Writing 0x76B5BA4,
> IP0x76B5BA4
> Dolphin X6: Invalid Access to memory location. Writing 0xA4170F0,
> IP0xA4170F0
>
> A workaround is to disable DEP unter Control Panel/System but please
> fix this Andy.

This should be fixed in Dolphin 6.02; which version are you running?
We don't have any intention of retrofitting the fix to D5.1, I'm afraid.

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: No Execution Incompatibility of D5 and D6 + Workaround

Steve Alan Waring
Hi Andy,

> We don't have any intention of retrofitting the fix to D5.1, I'm afraid.

Can you give an estimate of how many support hours it would take for a
D5 fix?

Thanks,
Steve
--
Steve Waring

Re: No Execution Incompatibility of D5 and D6 + Workaround

Carsten Haerle
In 6.02 the problem has been fixed.

Re: No Execution Incompatibility of D5 and D6 + Workaround

Blair McGlashan-4
<[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Hi Andy,
>
>> We don't have any intention of retrofitting the fix to D5.1, I'm afraid.
>
> Can you give an estimate of how many support hours it would take for a
> D5 fix?

Around 1 day. It might be as little as four or five hours, but that depends
on whether a VM change is needed. The main problem is actually in the
ExternalCallback class and can be fixed entirely in Smalltalk, although it's
a bit low level.

Regards

Blair