No MIDI ports found on Linux

Stéphane Rollandin
Hello,

Testing the 5.0 all-in-one from squeak.org in a Mint 17.2 running in
VirtualBox (Windows 8.1 host), I see that

        SimpleMIDIPort midiIsSupported

returns false with the linux VM, and true with the Windows VM (run
though Wine).

So it seems to me that the linux MIDIPlugin is broken (or am I missing
something ?)

Re: No MIDI ports found on Linux

Levente Uzonyi-2
MIDIPlugin doesn't seem to be included in 5.0 all-in-one.

Levente

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Testing the 5.0 all-in-one from squeak.org in a Mint 17.2 running in
> VirtualBox (Windows 8.1 host), I see that
>
> SimpleMIDIPort midiIsSupported
>
> returns false with the linux VM, and true with the Windows VM (run though
> Wine).
>
> So it seems to me that the linux MIDIPlugin is broken (or am I missing
> something ?)
>

> Stef

Re: No MIDI ports found on Linux

Stéphane Rollandin
> MIDIPlugin doesn't seem to be included in 5.0 all-in-one.

It does appear in Smalltalk listBuiltinModules though...

Re: No MIDI ports found on Linux

Levente Uzonyi-2
Does it appear as an internal plugin?

Levente

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> MIDIPlugin doesn't seem to be included in 5.0 all-in-one.
>
> It does appear in Smalltalk listBuiltinModules though...
>
> Stef

Re: No MIDI ports found on Linux

Stéphane Rollandin
> Does it appear as an internal plugin?

How can I test this ?

Re: No MIDI ports found on Linux

Levente Uzonyi-2
In the list returned by [Smalltalk listLoadedModules], if the entry ends
with (i), then it's internal, otherwise it's external.

Levente

On Sat, 26 Sep 2015, Stéphane Rollandin wrote:

>> Does it appear as an internal plugin?
>
> How can I test this ?
>
> Stef

Re: No MIDI ports found on Linux

Stéphane Rollandin
> In the list returned by [Smalltalk listLoadedModules], if the entry ends
> with (i), then it's internal, otherwise it's external.

Ah, ok. It's marked as internal then.

Re: No MIDI ports found on Linux

Bert Freudenberg

> On 26.09.2015, at 18:36, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> Testing the 5.0 all-in-one from squeak.org in a Mint 17.2 running in VirtualBox (Windows 8.1 host), I see that
>
> SimpleMIDIPort midiIsSupported
>
> returns false with the linux VM, and true with the Windows VM (run though Wine).
>
> So it seems to me that the linux MIDIPlugin is broken (or am I missing something ?)
This depends on which sound driver you’re running with. IIRC only Squeak’s ALSA module supports MIDI.

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>> On 26.09.2015, at 18:36, Stéphane Rollandin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Testing the 5.0 all-in-one from squeak.org in a Mint 17.2 running in VirtualBox (Windows 8.1 host), I see that
>>
>> SimpleMIDIPort midiIsSupported
>>
>> returns false with the linux VM, and true with the Windows VM (run though Wine).
>>
>> So it seems to me that the linux MIDIPlugin is broken (or am I missing something ?)
>
> This depends on which sound driver you’re running with. IIRC only Squeak’s ALSA module supports MIDI.
I guess Mint uses Pulseaudio over ALSA. And I know that programs, like
Audacity, can grab ALSA for themselves when nothing is accessing
Pulseaudio. So I guess that should work.

Levente

> - Bert -

Re: No MIDI ports found on Linux

timrowledge

> On 27-09-2015, at 7:34 AM, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This depends on which sound driver you’re running with. IIRC only Squeak’s ALSA module supports MIDI.

And we need to remember that ALSA needs fixing to deal with interrupts correctly; on Pi it is a major nuisance and I hope we finally got the fixed version into the new Raspbian release coming out in the next few days. Eliot can tell about the ‘fun’ they had sorting it out at Qwaq.

We don’t seem to be able to get midi general instrument sounds either.
The mess that *nix seems to have built around sound is amazing to me.

tim
The enema of my enemy is my friend