Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No need to move to Application folder for Pharo 6 32 and 64 bit versions

kilon.alios
I have latest macos sierra , dowload , opened and saved image for both pharo 6 (32 and 64 bit) and I see no problem doing that from the dowload folder without moving the apps to the Application folder. Am I missing something here ? Because when I dowloaded them there was a warning dialog that said that this would not work. 
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: No need to move to Application folder for Pharo 6 32 and 64 bit versions

Marcus Denker-4
Hi,

The whole “path randomisation” feature of macOS is very odd.. what they do is to set an extended
attribute to enable tranlocation (copy the whole app to a random path, start it there).

This seems to be enabled when you look at a mounted .dmg file *and* when you uncompress a .zip.

The flag is removed by the finder when copying to /Applications.

When you use a signed .dmg, the flag is turned off. When you start via command line, the flag is ignored.

(this is my understanding of the whole mess).

But it might be that it depends, too, which which program you uncompress the .zip...

you can check from the command line:

security  translocate-policy-check Pharo.app/
                Would not translocate

This whole mechanism is only a problem when the applications tries to access files with a non-relative path.
That means that the packaged download where the sources and image are inside the .app has  a problem,
if you use the VM standalone with .image, sources and .changes, it should not be a problem, I think.

> On 8 Jun 2017, at 10:05, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have latest macos sierra , dowload , opened and saved image for both pharo 6 (32 and 64 bit) and I see no problem doing that from the dowload folder without moving the apps to the Application folder. Am I missing something here ? Because when I dowloaded them there was a warning dialog that said that this would not work.

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
Nope the whole thing is a standalone, everything is included in the ".app" folder, I use no external image or sources . Is just the typical mac app which is a folder masquerading as a single application executable.  

This is not the first time, in the past also some people reported this problem, I also tested it and experienced no such problem. I am still curious why I do not have it and some of you do. 

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:31 AM Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The whole “path randomisation” feature of macOS is very odd.. what they do is to set an extended
attribute to enable tranlocation (copy the whole app to a random path, start it there).

This seems to be enabled when you look at a mounted .dmg file *and* when you uncompress a .zip.

When you use a signed .dmg, the flag is turned off. When you start via command line, the flag is ignored.

But it might be that it depends, too, which which program you uncompress the .zip...

security  translocate-policy-check Pharo.app/
                Would not translocate

This whole mechanism is only a problem when the applications tries to access files with a non-relative path.
That means that the packaged download where the sources and image are inside the .app has  a problem,
if you use the VM standalone with .image, sources and .changes, it should not be a problem, I think.

>
> I have latest macos sierra , dowload , opened and saved image for both pharo 6 (32 and 64 bit) and I see no problem doing that from the dowload folder without moving the apps to the Application folder. Am I missing something here ? Because when I dowloaded them there was a warning dialog that said that this would not work.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ben Coman

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 5:59 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nope the whole thing is a standalone, everything is included in the ".app" folder, I use no external image or sources . Is just the typical mac app which is a folder masquerading as a single application executable.  

This is not the first time, in the past also some people reported this problem, I also tested it and experienced no such problem. I am still curious why I do not have it and some of you do. 

Do you have any problem with Pharo opening a text file in the /tmp directory?
cheers -ben

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 11:31 AM Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

security  translocate-policy-check Pharo.app/
                Would not translocate

That means that the packaged download where the sources and image are inside the .app has  a problem,

>