classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

No projects on StHub?

Uko2
Hi,

I was on vacation last weak, have I missed anything? Because my SmaltalkHub user does not have any projects http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~YuriyTymchuk (and I had a bunch of them).

Uko
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: No projects on StHub?

kilon.alios
oh boy thats looks nasty bug, hope its not permanent. 

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 11:44 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I was on vacation last weak, have I missed anything? Because my SmaltalkHub user does not have any projects http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~YuriyTymchuk (and I had a bunch of them).

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
Well, thankfully I keep all my latest projects on github, and I have configurations of them in the image. But CI is not working and anyway it’s a strange situation. Is there any other service where I can keep my configurations? Because that’s the only thing I version with monticello are configurations as I want to use gofer to load my projects. And here reliability is much more important then other features.

Uko

On 04 Aug 2014, at 10:59, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I was on vacation last weak, have I missed anything? Because my SmaltalkHub user does not have any projects http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~YuriyTymchuk (and I had a bunch of them).

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
something is going bad with smalltalkhub, it is working in *really* slow motion, with a lot of packet loss, etc.
I’m trying to figure out what is happening, but not sure how much time it will take. 
I’m sorry for the inconveniences :P

Esteban

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:03, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well, thankfully I keep all my latest projects on github, and I have configurations of them in the image. But CI is not working and anyway it’s a strange situation. Is there any other service where I can keep my configurations? Because that’s the only thing I version with monticello are configurations as I want to use gofer to load my projects. And here reliability is much more important then other features.

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:09, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

something is going bad with smalltalkhub, it is working in *really* slow motion, with a lot of packet loss, etc.

I think it just misses Nico badly :).

I’m trying to figure out what is happening, but not sure how much time it will take. 

It’s ok (not really ok, but I was worried that everything is working fine, just my projects disappeared).

Good luck!
Uko

Esteban

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
In reply to this post by Uko2
yeah I will also move my latest project to github. I am already more active with github than I am in SThub anyway. The one thing that stopped me  so far is that I don't want to force people to install git to get the latest version of my project. SThub is great for this. 

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:16, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

:)

It’s ok (not really ok, but I was worried that everything is working fine, just my projects disappeared).

in the mean time, I restored your projects (but is still working slow without any obvious reason)

Esteban

Good luck!
Uko

Esteban

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Moving to GitHub

Uko2
In reply to this post by kilon.alios
You don’t have to. Just keep your configuration (here is a guide how to do it http://sleepycoders.blogspot.ch/2014/04/how-to-distribute-your-github-pharo.html) on some monticello repo, and assemble your image on CI. Yes, if someone want’s to modify your project they have to use git, but as far as I know, Pharo is slowly moving git way anyway :)

Cheers.
Uko

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:17, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

yeah I will also move my latest project to github. I am already more active with github than I am in SThub anyway. The one thing that stopped me  so far is that I don't want to force people to install git to get the latest version of my project. SThub is great for this. 

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM

yeah, in the medium term, this is going to be the best path. We are working on provide better tools for using git and we feel this is the best path for pharo, in the no so far future :)
(and honestly, I prefer to spend my time maintaining pharo and not smalltalkhub :P)

Esteban

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
In reply to this post by EstebanLM

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:21, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:16, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

:)

in the mean time, I restored your projects (but is still working slow without any obvious reason)

Thank you!

Esteban

Good luck!
Uko

Esteban

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Moving to GitHub

kilon.alios
Well lately I have been questioning the need for configurations . I am considering doing only the second port of your blog post. Ask github for the latest release of my project , download it, unzip it and point pharo to the unziped directory. Then pharo can periodocally keep probing github to see if there is a new release and prompt the user for an update. All that with a single click from the user or even automagically. But I have to figure out how to do that with Pharo first :)  

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
You don’t have to. Just keep your configuration (here is a guide how to do it http://sleepycoders.blogspot.ch/2014/04/how-to-distribute-your-github-pharo.html) on some monticello repo, and assemble your image on CI. Yes, if someone want’s to modify your project they have to use git, but as far as I know, Pharo is slowly moving git way anyway :)

Cheers.
Uko

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
I’m follower of "new day – new image” way :)

Uko

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:48, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Well lately I have been questioning the need for configurations . I am considering doing only the second port of your blog post. Ask github for the latest release of my project , download it, unzip it and point pharo to the unziped directory. Then pharo can periodocally keep probing github to see if there is a new release and prompt the user for an update. All that with a single click from the user or even automagically. But I have to figure out how to do that with Pharo first :)  

Cheers.
Uko

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
I had jenkins job doing that :)
But sadly, my server is now sleeping in a box since I moved out :)

Ben

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:53, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Uko

Cheers.
Uko

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon.alios
I don't like it.

First its not suitable for my project since my project contains python files as well. Second get 30 mbs image so you can get an additional few kbs sounds like an overkill. Forth what happens to the image you work already ? what if it contains code you want to keep ? send the user to the process of reimporting the code is not acceptable for me either.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

Uko

Cheers.
Uko

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3

KIlon,

If you use a a github reference in your configuration: 

github://username/projectname:commitish/repositoryDir

Git is not required. Metacello will download a zipped version of the commitish referenced (a commitish is a branch name, SHA or tag name) and a read only filetree repository is created ....

So folks should be able to use your project without installing git on their machine. 

Dale

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
Wow, I didn’t know that. Nice

On 05 Aug 2014, at 17:01, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

KIlon,

<a href="github://username/projectname:commitish/repositoryDir">github://username/projectname:commitish/repositoryDir

Git is not required. Metacello will download a zipped version of the commitish referenced (a commitish is a branch name, SHA or tag name) and a read only filetree repository is created ....

So folks should be able to use your project without installing git on their machine. 

Dale

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3
Kilon,

When working with git/github, you really don't need a configuration anymore ... the configuration functions more like tag than anything else.

For day to day operations with git/github you only need a baseline[1].  The baseline just describes the package relationships and of course git manages the versions of the packages:

baseline: spec
  <baseline>
  spec for: #common do: [
    spec configuration: 'Seaside30' with: [
      spec
        version: #stable;
    spec
      package: 'Sample-Core'with: [
        spec requires: 'Seaside30' ];
      package: 'Sample-Tests' with: [
        spec requires: 'Sample-Core' ]].

but there is no longer any need to track the version numbers of the individual mcz file.

To load from a repository using a baseline you do the following:

Metacello new
    baseline: 'External';
    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository';
    load.

This is very similar to using #bleedingEdge,but a lot safer, since presumably you are using travis-ci to run tests before anything gets merged into your master branch and of course all of the packages are versioned together.

To refresh the version from the master branch you do the following:

Metacello new
    get.
  Metacello new
    load.

This is admittedly a bit awkward, but there has been a couple year lag between the time I did the basic implementation in support of git/github and the time that folks are finally becoming interested in actually using it:) So I have focussed on functionality instead or prettiness ... I will eventually get to the point where you can do:)

Metacello new
    get;
    load.

If you use a configuration, then the version method for the configuration would look like the following:

version0900: spec
    <version: '0.9.0'>
    spec
        for: #'common'
        do: [ 
            spec blessing: #'development'.
            spec description: 'initial work: first commit on custom branch'.
            spec author: 'dkh'.
            spec timestamp: '5/4/2012 14:16'.
            spec
                baseline: 'External'
                with: [ spec repository: 'github://dalehenrich/external:1ac58502ade7814e1590f71d615cca434b1a4fd5/repository' ] ]

So version 0.9.0 is simply a tag for a particular commit ... but within the Metacello eco-system this approach can be useful.

Dale

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:48 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:

Cheers.
Uko

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Uko2
Hi Dale,

I won’t agree that you don’t need configuration. For me the main purpose of configuration is defining dependencies. And as far as I know we don’t have any other alternative.

Uko

On 05 Aug 2014, at 17:21, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Kilon,

When working with git/github, you really don't need a configuration anymore ... the configuration functions more like tag than anything else.

For day to day operations with git/github you only need a baseline[1].  The baseline just describes the package relationships and of course git manages the versions of the packages:

<baseline>
      spec
    spec

but there is no longer any need to track the version numbers of the individual mcz file.

Metacello new
    repository: '<a href="github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository'">github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository';
    load.

This is very similar to using #bleedingEdge,but a lot safer, since presumably you are using travis-ci to run tests before anything gets merged into your master branch and of course all of the packages are versioned together.

Metacello new
    repository: '<a href="github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository'">github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository';
    get.
  Metacello new
    load.

This is admittedly a bit awkward, but there has been a couple year lag between the time I did the basic implementation in support of git/github and the time that folks are finally becoming interested in actually using it:) So I have focussed on functionality instead or prettiness ... I will eventually get to the point where you can do:)

Metacello new
    get;
    load.

If you use a configuration, then the version method for the configuration would look like the following:

spec
            spec
                with: [ spec repository: '<a href="github://dalehenrich/external:1ac58502ade7814e1590f71d615cca434b1a4fd5/repository'">github://dalehenrich/external:1ac58502ade7814e1590f71d615cca434b1a4fd5/repository' ] ]

So version 0.9.0 is simply a tag for a particular commit ... but within the Metacello eco-system this approach can be useful.

Dale

Cheers.
Uko

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

EstebanLM
In reply to this post by Dale Henrichs-3

On 05 Aug 2014, at 17:01, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

KIlon,

<a href="github://username/projectname:commitish/repositoryDir">github://username/projectname:commitish/repositoryDir

it is not required if you are not going to modify the projects, of course :)
AFAIK… in your own projects, you will need the clone in disk (I suppose with filetree or gitfiletree)… 

Esteban

Dale

Uko

Hi,

Uko

Reply | Threaded
|

Dale Henrichs-3
Hey Uko,

I guess I wasn't clear;( 

What is not needed when using git are the version methods with the painstaking records of the mcz version associated with each file ... 

A baseline is created by subclassing BaselineOf and adding a single baseline: method that contains the package/project dependencies. This BaselineOfXXX is saved directly in the repository along with the packages.

You can poke around in my External project on GitHub[1] to see more detail.

Dale

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Dale,

I won’t agree that you don’t need configuration. For me the main purpose of configuration is defining dependencies. And as far as I know we don’t have any other alternative.

Uko

On 05 Aug 2014, at 17:21, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

Kilon,

<baseline>
      spec
    spec

Metacello new
    load.

Metacello new
    get.
  Metacello new
    load.

Metacello new
    get;
    load.

spec
            spec

Dale

Cheers.
Uko

Uko

Hi,

Uko