No projects on StHub?

12

No projects on StHub?

Uko2
Hi,

I was on vacation last weak, have I missed anything? Because my SmaltalkHub user does not have any projects http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~YuriyTymchuk (and I had a bunch of them).

Uko

Re: No projects on StHub?

kilon.alios
oh boy thats looks nasty bug, hope its not permanent.

Uko

Re: No projects on StHub?

EstebanLM
something is going bad with smalltalkhub, it is working in *really* slow motion, with a lot of packet loss, etc.
I’m trying to figure out what is happening, but not sure how much time it will take.
I’m sorry for the inconveniences :P

Esteban

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:09, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

something is going bad with smalltalkhub, it is working in *really* slow motion, with a lot of packet loss, etc.

I think it just misses Nico badly :).

I’m trying to figure out what is happening, but not sure how much time it will take.
I’m sorry for the inconveniences :P

It’s ok (not really ok, but I was worried that everything is working fine, just my projects disappeared).

Good luck!
Uko

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:16, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:09, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

something is going bad with smalltalkhub, it is working in *really* slow motion, with a lot of packet loss, etc.

I think it just misses Nico badly :).

:)

I’m trying to figure out what is happening, but not sure how much time it will take.
I’m sorry for the inconveniences :P

It’s ok (not really ok, but I was worried that everything is working fine, just my projects disappeared).

in the mean time, I restored your projects (but is still working slow without any obvious reason)

Esteban

[...]

yeah, in the medium term, this is going to be the best path. We are working on provide better tools for using git and we feel this is the best path for pharo, in the no so far future :)
(and honestly, I prefer to spend my time maintaining pharo and not smalltalkhub :P)

Esteban

[...]

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
I had jenkins job doing that :)
But sadly, my server is now sleeping in a box since I moved out :)

Ben

On 04 Aug 2014, at 11:53, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

I don't like it.

First its not suitable for my project since my project contains python files as well. Second get 30 mbs image so you can get an additional few kbs sounds like an overkill. Forth what happens to the image you work already ? what if it contains code you want to keep ? send the user to the process of reimporting the code is not acceptable for me either.

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Dale Henrichs-3

KIlon,

If you use a a github reference in your configuration:

  github://username/projectname:commitish/repositoryDir

Git is not required. Metacello will download a zipped version of the commitish referenced (a commitish is a branch name, SHA or tag name) and a read only filetree repository is created ....

So folks should be able to use your project without installing git on their machine.

Dale

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:17 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

When working with git/github, you really don't need a configuration anymore ... the configuration functions more like tag than anything else.

For day to day operations with git/github you only need a baseline[1].  The baseline just describes the package relationships and of course git manages the versions of the packages:

baseline: spec
  <baseline>
  spec for: #common do: [
    spec configuration: 'Seaside30' with: [
      spec
        version: #stable;
    spec
      package: 'Sample-Core'with: [
        spec requires: 'Seaside30' ];
      package: 'Sample-Tests' with: [
        spec requires: 'Sample-Core' ]].

but there is no longer any need to track the version numbers of the individual mcz file.

To load from a repository using a baseline you do the following:

  Metacello new
    baseline: 'External';
    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository';
    load.

This is very similar to using #bleedingEdge,but a lot safer, since presumably you are using travis-ci to run tests before anything gets merged into your master branch and of course all of the packages are versioned together.

To refresh the version from the master branch you do the following:

  Metacello new
    baseline: 'External';
    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository';
    get.
  Metacello new
    baseline: 'External';
    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository';
    load.

This is admittedly a bit awkward, but there has been a couple year lag between the time I did the basic implementation in support of git/github and the time that folks are finally becoming interested in actually using it:) So I have focussed on functionality instead or prettiness ... I will eventually get to the point where you can do:)

Metacello new
    baseline: 'External';
    repository: 'github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository';
    get;
    load.

If you use a configuration, then the version method for the configuration would look like the following:

version0900: spec
    <version: '0.9.0'>
    spec
        for: #'common'
        do: [
            spec blessing: #'development'.
            spec description: 'initial work: first commit on custom branch'.
            spec author: 'dkh'.
            spec timestamp: '5/4/2012 14:16'.
            spec
                baseline: 'External'
                with: [ spec repository: 'github://dalehenrich/external:1ac58502ade7814e1590f71d615cca434b1a4fd5/repository' ] ]

So version 0.9.0 is simply a tag for a particular commit ... but within the Metacello eco-system this approach can be useful.

Dale

On Mon, Aug 4, 2014 at 2:48 AM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Dale,

I won’t agree that you don’t need configuration. For me the main purpose of configuration is defining dependencies. And as far as I know we don’t have any other alternative.

Uko

On 05 Aug 2014, at 17:21, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

    repository: '<a href="github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository'">github://dalehenrich/external:master/repository';
[...]

                with: [ spec repository: '<a href="github://dalehenrich/external:1ac58502ade7814e1590f71d615cca434b1a4fd5/repository'">github://dalehenrich/external:1ac58502ade7814e1590f71d615cca434b1a4fd5/repository' ] ]

[...]

it is not required if you are not going to modify the projects, of course :)
AFAIK… in your own projects, you will need the clone in disk (I suppose with filetree or gitfiletree)…

Esteban

[...]

Hey Uko,

I guess I wasn't clear;(

What is not needed when using git are the version methods with the painstaking records of the mcz version associated with each file ...

A baseline is created by subclassing BaselineOf and adding a single baseline: method that contains the package/project dependencies. This BaselineOfXXX is saved directly in the repository along with the packages.

You can poke around in my External project on GitHub[1] to see more detail.

Dale