No replace menu entry in the tools of Pharo image?

No replace menu entry in the tools of Pharo image?

csrabak
Am I the only soul that misses the replace entry which I would expect to be near the 'find' and 'find again' entries?

We have even an entry 'set search string' but not a replace one!

--
Cesar Rabak

Re: No replace menu entry in the tools of Pharo image?

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Cesar

I don't miss it. How does it work?

I also wonder where you found the menu item 'set search string'?

If there is enough interest from other people we can add the replace.
But we should take care not to get long menus again. Thinking about
it, I would remove 'find again (g)' from the context menu. Or does
anybody use it from the menu, rather than with the keyboard shortcut?

Cheers,
Adrian

On Nov 12, 2009, at 22:06 , [hidden email] wrote:

> Am I the only soul that misses the replace entry which I would
> expect to be near the 'find' and 'find again' entries?
>
> We have even an entry 'set search string' but not a replace one!
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak

Re: No replace menu entry in the tools of Pharo image?

Stéphane Ducasse
> If there is enough interest from other people we can add the replace.
> But we should take care not to get long menus again. Thinking about
> it, I would remove 'find again (g)' from the context menu. Or does
> anybody use it from the menu, rather than with the keyboard shortcut?
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian

For me I often want to do replace all.
find should work like find again?

Em 12/11/2009 19:47, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Hi Cesar
>  I don't miss it. How does it work?

When you select 'replace' instead of 'find' you get a window with
_two_ entry fields one for the string you want to replace and another
for the replacement (OK I concede I'm used to VW ;-)

>  I also wonder where you found the menu item 'set search string'?

If you click the yellow button in the OB Package Browser in the source
pane you'll find it (Pharo1.0rc1 Latest update: #10495).

>  If  there is  enough  interest from  other  people we  can add  the
> replace.   But   we  should  take   care  not  to  get   long  menus
> again. Thinking about  it, I would remove 'find  again (g)' from the
> context menu. Or does anybody use it from the menu, rather than with
> the keyboard shortcut?

You made an interesting point: for experienced people (who already
learned the keyboard shorcuts) probably the menus are less useful, but
for newcomers or less frequent coders, the menus are the way to
remember the functionality available.  So I think if we want to remove
too many items from the menus we have to put back a workspace filled
with an introductory document which among other things has the list of
keyboard shortcuts.  Better even would be to have an updated quick
reference card to render in PDF!

Regards,

--
Cesar Rabak

Re: No replace menu entry in the tools of Pharo image?

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Em 12/11/2009 19:47, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Hi Cesar
>  I don't miss it. How does it work?

When you select 'replace' instead of 'find' you get a window with
_two_ entry fields one for the string you want to replace and another
for the replacement (OK I concede I'm used to VW ;-)

I think that having in the menu a find, replace and replace all us VERY useful. Like every single text editor has.

Does someone know if Zafara has this in mind as a feature?

>  I also wonder where you found the menu item 'set search string'?

If you click the yellow button in the OB Package Browser in the source
pane you'll find it (Pharo1.0rc1 Latest update: #10495).

>  If  there is  enough  interest from  other  people we  can add  the
> replace.   But   we  should  take   care  not  to  get   long  menus
> again. Thinking about  it, I would remove 'find  again (g)' from the
> context menu. Or does anybody use it from the menu, rather than with
> the keyboard shortcut?

You made an interesting point: for experienced people (who already
learned the keyboard shorcuts) probably the menus are less useful, but
for newcomers or less frequent coders, the menus are the way to
remember the functionality available.  So I think if we want to remove
too many items from the menus we have to put back a workspace filled
with an introductory document which among other things has the list of
keyboard shortcuts.  Better even would be to have an updated quick
reference card to render in PDF!

I am also agree to have them not only as a shortcut but as a menu entry.
And yes!!!!!!!!! please add an entry to the menu with the shortcuts. I complained about that when this was done. And the answer were that that option was alone in the "help" section.

See the ticket I opened in August:

Regards,

--
Cesar Rabak

Re: No replace menu entry in the tools of Pharo image?

Stéphane Ducasse

> I think that having in the menu a find, replace and replace all us VERY useful. Like every single text editor has.
>
> Does someone know if Zafara has this in mind as a feature?

I'm not sure that zafara got continued. We got no news from its father.

> I am also agree to have them not only as a shortcut but as a menu entry.
> And yes!!!!!!!!! please add an entry to the menu with the shortcuts. I complained about that when this was done. And the answer were that that option was alone in the "help" section.

we need code :)