No tooltips

Nick Payne-3
I just purchased and installed Dolphin 5 (I downloaded the 5.0.1 version).
Everything works fine except that none of the toolbars display tooltips for
the toolbar buttons. I assume there are supposed to be tooltips? Dolphin 4
had them on the same machine.

Nick

Re: No tooltips

Blair McGlashan
"Nick Payne" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> I just purchased and installed Dolphin 5 (I downloaded the 5.0.1 version).
> Everything works fine except that none of the toolbars display tooltips
for
> the toolbar buttons. I assume there are supposed to be tooltips? Dolphin 4
> had them on the same machine.

There are supposed to be tooltips, and they work for me on Win98SE, WinXP,
Win2K, WinNT4, and even Windows 95. What is your OS type & version, and what
version of IE do you have installed?

Regards

Blair

Re: No tooltips

Nick Payne-3
This is WinXP Pro with IE6 that came with the OS. Tooltips on this machine
work ok in other apps such as IE6 itself, for example. COMCTL32.DLL is
v5.82.2600 dated 23/8/2001.

Nick

"Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:acleo0$qocjo$[hidden email]...
> "Nick Payne" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:[hidden email]...
> > I just purchased and installed Dolphin 5 (I downloaded the 5.0.1
version).
> > Everything works fine except that none of the toolbars display tooltips
> for
> > the toolbar buttons. I assume there are supposed to be tooltips? Dolphin
4
> > had them on the same machine.
>
> There are supposed to be tooltips, and they work for me on Win98SE, WinXP,
> Win2K, WinNT4, and even Windows 95. What is your OS type & version, and
what
> version of IE do you have installed?

Re: No tooltips

Ted Bracht-2
Hi Nick,

I thought tooltips didn't work on my machine either. The confusion in my
case was that the buttons highlight even if the window does not have focus.
As the buttons highlight, you would think that the tooltips should display
as well, but they don't unless the window has focus.

Ted

"Nick Payne" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...

> This is WinXP Pro with IE6 that came with the OS. Tooltips on this machine
> work ok in other apps such as IE6 itself, for example. COMCTL32.DLL is
> v5.82.2600 dated 23/8/2001.
>
> Nick
>
> "Blair McGlashan" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> news:acleo0$qocjo$[hidden email]...
> > "Nick Payne" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
> > news:[hidden email]...
> > > I just purchased and installed Dolphin 5 (I downloaded the 5.0.1
> version).
> > > Everything works fine except that none of the toolbars display
tooltips
> > for
> > > the toolbar buttons. I assume there are supposed to be tooltips?
Dolphin
> 4
> > > had them on the same machine.
> >
> > There are supposed to be tooltips, and they work for me on Win98SE,
WinXP,
> > Win2K, WinNT4, and even Windows 95. What is your OS type & version, and
> what
> > version of IE do you have installed?

Re: No tooltips

Bill Schwab-2
Hi Blair,

"Nick Payne" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> This is WinXP Pro with IE6 that came with the OS. Tooltips on this machine
> work ok in other apps such as IE6 itself, for example. COMCTL32.DLL is
> v5.82.2600 dated 23/8/2001.

FWIW, I have the opposite problem with info tips in TreeView - I can't turn
them off, and I'd like to in some situations.  I built something like Ian's
Snoop for a big ugly nested data structure that I spend a fair amount of
time inspecting, and it's quite common to have the info tips interfering
with the view of the selected item.  Unchecking #hasInfoTips in the VC has
no effect on them.  Is that the wrong aspect, or is something broken?

Is there a chance that some constants are not correctly defined?  That might
explain both problems.

Have a good one,

Bill

--
Wilhelm K. Schwab, Ph.D.

Re: No tooltips

Ian Bartholomew-13
Bill,

> FWIW, I have the opposite problem with info tips in TreeView - I can't
> turn them off, and I'd like to in some situations.

I had a mooch in my docs and found the tool tips can be turned off using
TVS_NOTOOLTIPS. Dolphin doesn't define this (it's 16r80) but it does appear
to work. Try the following in a workspace with and without the third line
commented out.

t := TreePresenter show.
t topShell view extent: 100 @ 500.
t view baseStyleMask: 128 set: true recreateIfChanged: false.
aaa := 'aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa'.
bbb := 'bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb'.
ccc := 'ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc'.
t model
    add: aaa asChildOf: nil;
    add: bbb asChildOf: aaa;
    add: ccc asChildOf: bbb

> Is there a chance that some constants are not correctly defined?  That
> might explain both problems.

FWIW, As far as I can see tool tips display as expected on my XP machine,
albeit with the caveat that Ted described.

Ian