Non-flow Glamour philosophy

Uko2
Hi, sorry for bothering, but I’m trying to understand what I can use to build cool UIs. And with GToolkit I’ve started to think about Glamour. I’ve read a chapter in Deep Into Pharo book, and all there is in Moose Book. And everywhere there is this idea of “flow”, that one parts of visualization, are representing something transmitted from other parts. There are a lot of cases when I want to do something that does not have this notion of a flow. For example I want to have a main view and then use some widgets to modify it, or I have two representations of the same model and want to keep them in sync. Should I use a “dynamic presentation” for that? Are there any real projects like that, to see how they are implemented?

Uko

Re: Non-flow Glamour philosophy

jfabry

I think that the strength behind Glamour is the idea of this flow. But this means that when there is no such flow in your UI then Glamour does not really work. I tried strange things with AspectMaps some time ago, and I could make it work, kindof, but the code was ugly, hard to understand and in the end I did not really get what I wanted.

Maybe it would be worthwhile to write the non-flow part of your UI in Spec as ComposableModels, and then combine these as separate presentations inside Glamour. I never tried that, because AspectMaps predates Spec.

> On Dec 2, 2014, at 14:02, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, sorry for bothering, but I’m trying to understand what I can use to build cool UIs. And with GToolkit I’ve started to think about Glamour. I’ve read a chapter in Deep Into Pharo book, and all there is in Moose Book. And everywhere there is this idea of “flow”, that one parts of visualization, are representing something transmitted from other parts. There are a lot of cases when I want to do something that does not have this notion of a flow. For example I want to have a main view and then use some widgets to modify it, or I have two representations of the same model and want to keep them in sync. Should I use a “dynamic presentation” for that? Are there any real projects like that, to see how they are implemented?
>
> Uko

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Non-flow Glamour philosophy

Nicolai Hess

I think that the strength behind Glamour is the idea of this flow. But this means that when there is no such flow in your UI then Glamour does not really work.

Flow does not only means "flowing ui elements", but the flow of data between those (static) elements.

Re: Non-flow Glamour philosophy

jfabry

> On Dec 2, 2014, at 16:51, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think that the strength behind Glamour is the idea of this flow. But this means that when there is no such flow in your UI then Glamour does not really work.
>
> Flow does not only means "flowing ui elements", but the flow of data between those (static) elements.

Yes, the flow of data between the different presentations, this is exactly what I meant.

---> Save our in-boxes! http://emailcharter.org <---

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD lab  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile

Re: Non-flow Glamour philosophy

hernanmd

Hi, sorry for bothering, but I’m trying to understand what I can use to build cool UIs. And with GToolkit I’ve started to think about Glamour. I’ve read a chapter in Deep Into Pharo book, and all there is in Moose Book. And everywhere there is this idea of “flow”, that one parts of visualization, are representing something transmitted from other parts. There are a lot of cases when I want to do something that does not have this notion of a flow. For example I want to have a main view and then use some widgets to modify it,

This could be done using Spec.

Hernán

Re: Non-flow Glamour philosophy

Stephan Eggermont-3
There you have flow from multiple panes to one. Can be done with Glamour

Stephan

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 2 dec. 2014 om 21:09 heeft Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven: