Non-island objects

Matthew Chadwick-2
Silly question: how do I add objects to my scene so that they're not part of an island (i.e. local objects, no messaging), so they render and handle interactions as normal ?

Re: Non-island objects

Matthew Chadwick-2
well that was easy. cheers!

David A Smith wrote:

> There is a system island that is just for this purpose. It is rendered
> "on top" of the shared island.
>
> DAS
>

> Matthew Chadwick wrote:
>> Silly question: how do I add objects to my scene so that they're not
>> part of an island (i.e. local objects, no messaging), so they render
>> and handle interactions as normal ?

Re: Non-island objects

Matthew Chadwick-2
Hi,

I tried using the harness systemIsland, but that still uses the whole
Croquet infrastructure (using a TLocalController) to send messages via
TFarRefs & promises etc, with all the queuing & processing of messages
that entails. I was looking for a way to bypass all that & just use
normal object messaging to speed things up on my client. That's because
on my machine (which is quite fast) Cobalt runs at a maximum average of
10fps (more like 8), which when I'm playing with the system I'm building
is just too awkward. Moving around the space feels like having flu, its
objects respond in jerky fits-and-starts with large delays to mouse
interactions. Yet, when I use OpenGL directly, without Croquet, to
render my TSpace (just using a Morph, an OpenGL & TCamera renderView:
space: overlay:) I get a good steady 24+fps -- but then I loose all the
Croquet stuff. What I'd like is a way to switch my Croquet client into a
local testing mode in which it dispenses with all the TeaTime messaging
stuff & only does the rendering. Is there a way I could set that up ?

> well that was easy. cheers!
>
> David A Smith wrote:
>> There is a system island that is just for this purpose. It is
>> rendered "on top" of the shared island.
>>
>> DAS
>>

>> Matthew Chadwick wrote:
>>> Silly question: how do I add objects to my scene so that they're not
>>> part of an island (i.e. local objects, no messaging), so they render
>>> and handle interactions as normal ?

Re: Non-island objects

Joshua Gargus-2
It sounds like something else is wrong, because I see much better
performance than you.  Straight out of the box, I see about 40fps on
my also-quite-fast laptop.  Are you talking about a space with a lot
of content?

Josh

On Oct 17, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Matthew Chadwick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried using the harness systemIsland, but that still uses the
> whole Croquet infrastructure (using a TLocalController) to send
> messages via TFarRefs & promises etc, with all the queuing &
> processing of messages that entails. I was looking for a way to
> bypass all that & just use normal object messaging to speed things
> up on my client. That's because on my machine (which is quite fast)
> Cobalt runs at a maximum average of 10fps (more like 8), which when
> I'm playing with the system I'm building is just too awkward. Moving
> around the space feels like having flu, its objects respond in jerky
> fits-and-starts with large delays to mouse interactions. Yet, when I
> use OpenGL directly, without Croquet, to render my TSpace (just
> using a Morph, an OpenGL & TCamera renderView: space: overlay:) I
> get a good steady 24+fps -- but then I loose all the Croquet stuff.
> What I'd like is a way to switch my Croquet client into a local
> testing mode in which it dispenses with all the TeaTime messaging
> stuff & only does the rendering. Is there a way I could set that up ?
>

>> well that was easy. cheers!
>>
>> David A Smith wrote:
>>> There is a system island that is just for this purpose. It is
>>> rendered "on top" of the shared island.
>>>
>>> DAS

Re: Non-island objects

Matthew Chadwick-2
no my space contains a single TFrame subclass.

I get the same performance with the latest Cobalt image (1.0alpha1rc22)
out-of-the-box. My machine is a AMD 2GHz, 2gigs, Radeon HD 4650 (latest
ATI drivers), Ubuntu 9.04. I get excellent performance with other OpenGL
apps.

Josh Gargus wrote:

> It sounds like something else is wrong, because I see much better
> performance than you.  Straight out of the box, I see about 40fps on
> my also-quite-fast laptop.  Are you talking about a space with a lot
> of content?
>
> Josh
>

> On Oct 17, 2009, at 7:58 AM, Matthew Chadwick wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I tried using the harness systemIsland, but that still uses the whole
>> Croquet infrastructure (using a TLocalController) to send messages
>> via TFarRefs & promises etc, with all the queuing & processing of
>> messages that entails. I was looking for a way to bypass all that &
>> just use normal object messaging to speed things up on my client.
>> That's because on my machine (which is quite fast) Cobalt runs at a
>> maximum average of 10fps (more like 8), which when I'm playing with
>> the system I'm building is just too awkward. Moving around the space
>> feels like having flu, its objects respond in jerky fits-and-starts
>> with large delays to mouse interactions. Yet, when I use OpenGL
>> directly, without Croquet, to render my TSpace (just using a Morph,
>> an OpenGL & TCamera renderView: space: overlay:) I get a good steady
>> 24+fps -- but then I loose all the Croquet stuff. What I'd like is a
>> way to switch my Croquet client into a local testing mode in which it
>> dispenses with all the TeaTime messaging stuff & only does the
>> rendering. Is there a way I could set that up ?
>>

>>> well that was easy. cheers!

John Dougan

carry on start

Matthew Chadwick-2
how do i make objects automatically be carried by the avatar on startup ?

Re: Non-island objects

Matthew Chadwick-2
John Dougan wrote:
> try going into the general prefs panel (Cobalt menu) and adjust the
> rate limiter slider upwards. it's supposedly calibrated in fps but
> it's wrong.

cheers. hmm that makes no difference. as suggested there must be
something else wrong...will start again & find out what...

Re: Non-island objects

Ankh'nAton
Hi John,
I too have not so well frame rates with Cobalt (alpha1rc23), when
compared to other OpenGL 3D apps. The initial startup space in its
640x480 bounds is quite responsive (30-40fps), but after switching to
window mode or fullscreen mode, I only get 4-8 fps on my Celeron-M@2Ghz
with a GeForce 6200. Though, when running SL in fullscreen mode, I get
about 12-20 fps.

Thomas - On Ubuntu 8.10 with latest grafix drivers from hw manufacturer

Am Samstag, den 17.10.2009, 13:53 -0700 schrieb John Dougan:
> try going into the general prefs panel (Cobalt menu) and adjust the
> rate limiter slider upwards. it's supposedly calibrated in fps but
> it's wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>   - John

"Past message encountered"