Not Pharo related - how does one respond to a message

Dan

Not Pharo related - how does one respond to a message

Dan
Please allow me this one non-Pharo message. I am not that familiar with these message boards. When I see a message that I want to respond to how do I do that? I've been going to my email program - hotmail - and pasting in the subject line - copying and pasting any text that I want to include in my reply - writing a reply and then sending it. I can't believe that there's now a much more efficient way to do this.

Enlighten me, please.

Dan

Re: Not Pharo related - how does one respond to a message

CyrilFerlicot
Hi.
You just need to use the button "Reply" or "Reply to All" if it's for
multi mailing list.

--
Cheers
Cyril Ferlicot

Re: Not Pharo related - how does one respond to a message

Ben Coman

On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 12:50 AM, Daniel Roe <[hidden email]> wrote:
Please allow me this one non-Pharo message. I am not that familiar with these message boards. When I see a message that I want to respond to how do I do that? I've been going to my email program - hotmail - and pasting in the subject line - copying and pasting any text that I want to include in my reply - writing a reply and then sending it. I can't believe that there's now a much more efficient way to do this.

Enlighten me, please.

Dan

Saying "message board" and "going to my email program to post" makes me think you are using some web interface (which one?).  Technically, this is a "mailing list" and the primary interface to *read* *and* *respond* to posts is your email client.  The web interfaces are secondary methods, though some people prefer them for the threaded interface, although at least gmail also does this now.

Are you not receiving direct emails?     You can log on here [1] to check your delivery options.

cheers -ben

Re: Not Pharo related - how does one respond to a message

Alain Rastoul-2
Le 24/05/2015 18:50, Daniel Roe a écrit :

> Please allow me this one non-Pharo message. I am not that familiar with these message boards. When I see a message that I want to respond to how do I do that? I've been going to my email program - hotmail - and pasting in the subject line - copying and pasting any text that I want to include in my reply - writing a reply and then sending it. I can't believe that there's now a much more efficient way to do this.
>
> Enlighten me, please.
>
> Dan

Hi Dan,

This is a mailing list, you can use your email client (web or not) to
respond, but   there are also some mailing list to newsgroup gateways,
like gmane -that I use-, who allows you to simply subscribe to this
"newsgroup" with your favorite email client (outlook, thunderbird or
other) and get a newsgroup threaded interface.

Registering the newsgroup server in your email client depends of your
client.
You should probably find it under add account menu of your email client,
select newsgroup, fill the newsgroup server address (example
new.gsmane.org, port 119) and select the groups you want to subscribe to
(gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.pharo.user here).

Using your email client, you will find the process much more easy and
user friendly, you can select lines you want to include in your response
for example.
Note: there is a little delay with the gateway (few minutes) and the
first time you will have to confirm your post to the server (only the
first time).

HTH,

--
Regards,