(Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Following https://code.google.com/p/glassdb/wiki/GettingStartedWithGLASS#Define_GemTools_Session , I did:
$ ./installGemstone.sh 3.1.0.1
$ source /opt/gemstone/product/seaside/defSeaside
$ startnet
$ startGemstone
$ gslist -lcv
The last of which reported: OK, OK, OK
But then:
$ /opt/gemstone/GemStone64Bit3.1.0.1-i386.Darwin/seaside/bin/startSeaside_Hyper 50081
fell over with an error, "undefined symbol", reported in a 2010 ML thread [1], which recommended "Gofer project load: 'Seaside28'". Unfortunately, I'm too ignorant to know what that means :/ I tried to evaluate it in the GemTools image, but "Gofer class DNU #project".

[1] http://forum.world.st/Error-while-starting-Hyper-td2549495.html
Cheers,
Sean

Re: (Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sean P. DeNigris wrote
fell over...
Oh, I also should mention that:
- I didn't understand "Custom Extent Creation" at all; is there a more basic reference maybe that explains these terms (I read many of the blog and other links from the website)? The GLASS instructions seem to assume a basic understanding of GemStone.
-  and naively clicking on Glass in the GemTools Launcher gave:

  "Error: Unable to create a GemStone session.
NetLDI service '50377' not found on node 'glass' port 50377 :
getaddrinfo failed, EAI error 8, nodename nor servname provided, or not known, getaddrinfo failed, EAI error 8, nodename nor servname provided, or not known,  For further information about login failures, check the gem log file"
Cheers,
Sean

Re: (Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

BrunoBB
Hi,

What is the output of "gslist" comimando in the gemstone server host ?

It seems that netldi service is not running or running on different port han 50377.

Regards,
Bruno

Re: (Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

BrunoBB
Hi,

To make netldi service run on 50377, add to /etc/services file the following line:

devKit_ldi 50377/tcp   #GEMSTONE Long Distance Interchange

When you have the stone and the netldi running the output of "gslist" command should be like:
Status       Version    Owner     Started     Type       Name
-------     --------- --------- ------------ ------      ----
exists      3.2.1     bruno     Aug 04 19:09 Netldi      devKit_ldi
exists      3.2.1     bruno     Aug 04 19:10 Stone       devKit
exists      3.2.1     bruno     Aug 04 19:10 cache       devKit~4e473abac7f88e15

Re: (Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
BrunoBB wrote
To make netldi service run...
Thanks for the suggestions. I seem to be all set following the advice from an off-list reply:
If you’re new to GemStone, tODE is the probably the best way to manage installs. Its certainly the tool to use moving forward.

https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome
Cheers,
Sean

Re: (Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

GLASS mailing list
Hi Sean,

Sorry, I did not have the chance to answer before. Also, mind that the most "GLASSed" person from GemStone is Dale and from what I read he is having some time out internet because of personal reasons. As Bruno said, for sure, the BEST place to start right now with GemStone is: https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome

You should follow that documentation, use those scripts to install/stop/start stones etc, use tODE (not GemTools), etc.

Once I promised to start writing blog posts about GemStone in my Blog, but after a couple, my family "started to grow more than 2"  and so I don't have much time ;)

Note that GemStone also has quite some good programming guides and admin guides that you can download from theirs site or read online via html.

Let us know if you are still hitting that problem following that guide.

Cheers,

BrunoBB wrote

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: (Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
GLASS mailing list wrote
the most
"GLASSed" person from GemStone is Dale and from what I read he is having
some time out internet
Ah okay, I can wait a bit for his return.

GLASS mailing list wrote
my family "started to grow more than 2"  and so I don't
have much time ;)
Congrats! I didn't know that. My family grew more than 1 in February ha ha

Those were helpful. Thanks!

GLASS mailing list wrote
Let us know if you are still hitting that problem following that guide.
I will! I asked a few questions at http://forum.world.st/Using-devKit-tp4841078.html . Is it better to post tODE questions to this list or the GemStone/S list?
Cheers,
Sean

On 08/05/2015 01:48 PM, Sean P. DeNigris via Glass wrote:
> GLASS mailing list wrote
>> the most
>> "GLASSed" person from GemStone is Dale and from what I read he is having
>> some time out internet
> Ah okay, I can wait a bit for his return.
Well, I'm back ...

GsDevKitHome is an attempt to consolidate the documentation in one
place. Unfortunately my forte is not writing documentation  (which is
how we ended up documentation strewn willy nilly around the net in the
first place:), so it's been a slow slog for me ...

Since you are just getting started with GsDevKit and tODE, perhaps you'd
be interested in taking the "soon to be released" version of
gsDevKitHome? Functionally, the new version is in very good shape
(except for documentation) and I've included a number of new features
that I think should make learning tODE easier and your questions and
comments will hep me (and Lisa) focus our efforts on the bits of
documentation that need the most help ...

> GLASS mailing list wrote
>> my family "started to grow more than 2"  and so I don't
>> have much time ;)
> Congrats! I didn't know that. My family grew more than 1 in February ha ha
Congratulations ... my family also grew be more than 1 this year, but
the growth came as grand children:)

> GLASS mailing list wrote
>> https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2014/12/14/what-is-gemstone/ and
>> https://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2014/12/19/what-is-gemstone-part-2/
> Those were helpful. Thanks!
>

> GLASS mailing list wrote
>> Let us know if you are still hitting that problem following that guide.
> I will! I asked a few questions at
> http://forum.world.st/Using-devKit-tp4841078.html . Is it better to post
> tODE questions to this list or the GemStone/S list?

Right now I think it would be best to use this list for tODE
questions/comments. For interactive help, I have a tODE chat room on
gitter[1].

If you are interested in using the "soon to be released" version[2],
follow the directions here[3] since the version of gsDevKitHome and tODE
need to be synchronized ...

Dale

[1] https://gitter.im/dalehenrich/tode
[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev
[3]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/dev/projects/roassal/devBootstrap.md#roassal-visualization-setup-and-install

Re: (Not Yet) Getting Started With GLASS

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
GLASS mailing list wrote
Since you are just getting started with GsDevKit and tODE, perhaps you'd
be interested in taking the "soon to be released" version of
gsDevKitHome?
Sure! I'm exploring GS for some projects I have in mind, but nothing is starting *today*, so I'd be happy to help and also to learn whatever the cutting edge is. BTW can I contribute to GS (e.g. porting new Pharo code) and if so what's the process?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Getting Started With GLASS

GLASS mailing list

Hi Dale and all--

     I'm also evaluating the current state of GS and GLASS, for a new
client, and am very interested in trying out the latest stuff.

     cheers,

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

On 08/05/2015 04:00 PM, Sean P. DeNigris via Glass wrote:
> GLASS mailing list wrote
>> Since you are just getting started with GsDevKit and tODE, perhaps you'd
>> be interested in taking the "soon to be released" version of
>> gsDevKitHome?
> Sure! I'm exploring GS for some projects I have in mind, but nothing is
> starting *today*, so I'd be happy to help and also to learn whatever the
> cutting edge is. BTW can I contribute to GS (e.g. porting new Pharo code)
> and if so what's the process?

Excellent! Currently the tODE client is known to work in Pharo3.0 and
Pharo4.0 and it would help to get it working in Pharo5.0 ...

To contribute, just fork gsDevKitHome (which you've already done) and
then fork the tODE project.

Presumably you already have a local gsDevKitHome checkout so you'll want
to stop the running those stones using $GS_HOME/bin/stopStone and then
simply delete the local clone directory (`chmod -R +w
$GS_HOME/gemstone/products/*` is needed before deleting the whole clone
directory). It's easier to go this route, because you need to create
fresh stone directories and fresh tode client images anyway ...

Then follow the dev bootstrap instructions[1] - the bootstrap assumes
that you've cloned your own version of tODE ....

Like I said, I feel that the basic functionality is pretty sound, but
the documentation needs work ... Lisa has been working on making changed
to the gsDevKitHome docs[2] and I plan to merge her changes shortly, so
I suggest you follow the latest version of the dev branch README[3] ...

The tODE docs are sparse, but I hope that the tODE system menu[4] will
make getting started a bit easier... `man --all` and `project list` are
your friends to get started ...

There is a section of featured projects[5] that should give you a feel
for the types of things that you can do in support of your own projects:
bash shell scripts for creating custom stones for your project as well
as setting up a custom tODE environment ...

I have a set of travis tests for everything[6], but I haven't run the
tests recently ... so if something breaks let me know and I will
prioritize fixes for you guys (Craig I see that you are interested and I
welcome you to take it for a spin)....

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/dev/projects/roassal/devBootstrap.md
[2]
https://github.com/LisaAlmarode/gsDevKitHome/blob/500e30e7a7f6fcc788f454cc3748e069a9688148/README.md
[3]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-
[4]
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/dev/docs/images/todeClient.png
[5]
https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev/projects#featured-gsdevkit-projects
[6] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/blob/dev/.travis.yml

Re: Getting Started With GLASS

GLASS mailing list
Cool, I welcome you to take the new stuff for a spin ... I just wrote a
mail with additional info for both you and Sean ...

Dale

On 08/05/2015 04:07 PM, Craig Latta via Glass wrote:

> Hi Dale and all--
>
>       I'm also evaluating the current state of GS and GLASS, for a new
> client, and am very interested in trying out the latest stuff.
>

>       cheers,
>
> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> netjam.org
> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Getting Started With GLASS

GLASS mailing list
Hi all,

I'm stuck and failing to get GLASS working, and looking for any advice or hints as to where to keep looking!

So far I've been able to:
  1. run Seaside locally on Pharo on my Mac by following the Boquitas example,
  2. been able to install the DevKit on my Mac and fire tODE following your guidelines on gitgub/gsDevKitHome, and
  3. install the latest Gemstone on my production Linux (Debian Wheezy)
But I haven't been able to either set-up Seaside on Gemstone, or even the DevKit on production (headless hosted server). I also tried following the GettingStartedWithGLASS guide on GLASS 101 and I got stuck while updating GLASS, I suppose because the guide is quite old and is now incompatible?

I've run through the installation guide and the programming guide, and managed so far to install Gemstone 2.4.8.1, run topaz, and the examples in the programming guide. I'm currently reading through the Administration guide to gain an understanding of the architecture.

I look forward to finally getting started with GLASS!

Cheers!

Ziggy

On 09/09/2015 02:59 AM, Ezequiel Tolnay wrote:
Hi all,

I'm stuck and failing to get GLASS working, and looking for any advice or hints as to where to keep looking!

So far I've been able to:
  1. run Seaside locally on Pharo on my Mac by following the Boquitas example,
  2. been able to install the DevKit on my Mac and fire tODE following your guidelines on gitgub/gsDevKitHome, and
Are you doing the work on the dev branch ... I recommend that you use the dev branch ... especially getting started ...
  1. install the latest Gemstone on my production Linux (Debian Wheezy)
But I haven't been able to either set-up Seaside on Gemstone,
If you are using the dev branch on gsDevKitHome, to load Seaside you execute the following in the tODE console:

  mount @/sys/stone/dirs/gsDevKitHome/projects/seaside31 /home seaside # mount the seaside directory in tODE
  /home/seaside/install                                                                                    # install Seaside

the install script will install Seaside and the following tODE command can be used to  run a Seaside webServer using Zinc:

  cd /home/seaside
  ./webServer --register=zinc --port=8080
  ./ webServer --start

using `webServer -h` to learn about other options.

This process is documented here[1]. Please let me know if you have problems, I am working hard to get the infrastructure in shape and the docs sometimes lag the reality of the code/scripts:)... being on the dev branch things are still a bit in flux although the basic functionality is pretty solid.

[1] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev/projects/seaside31#seaside31-

or even the DevKit on production (headless hosted server).
On the dev branch, I think the README[2] is better organized for providing instructions for installing on a headless Ubunutu14.04 server. For example there is an osPrereqs script that can be used to install all of the prereqs which is the usual sticking point if the hosted server you are targetting is not based on Ubunutu, I don't have a canned script for prereqs yet ... it is on my ever growing todo list though:)

[2] https://github.com/GsDevKit/gsDevKitHome/tree/dev#open-source-development-kit-for-gemstones-64-bit-
I also tried following the GettingStartedWithGLASS guide on GLASS 101 and I got stuck while updating GLASS, I suppose because the guide is quite old and is now incompatible?
Yep, gsDevKitHome is the intended replacement, but I can't put the cart before the horse ... with that said, having you take the dev branch for a spin and giving us feedback will make the experience better for those who follow you ...

I've run through the installation guide and the programming guide, and managed so far to install Gemstone 2.4.8.1, run topaz, and the examples in the programming guide. I'm currently reading through the Administration guide to gain an understanding of the architecture.

I look forward to finally getting started with GLASS!
I assume you are talking about GemStone 3.2.8.1, not 2.4.8.1:)

tODE is oriented towards those with more traditional Smalltalk experience ... the big change being that there is a class SmalltalkProxy that wraps the GemStone symbol list with something that looks like the more traditional Smalltalk global (which is not present in GemStone)...

Dale