Not responding VA Smalltalk development environment hangs other running VA Smalltalk programs

Not responding VA Smalltalk development environment hangs other running VA Smalltalk programs

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Everyone,

I am in the middle of debugging a problem.  I'm in the VA Smalltalk development environment trying to trace what happens when a call to MS/SQL (save a row) through ODBC encounters a lock and fails as the lock victim.  I have something running in the MS/SQL query analyzer that should have the lock.  The development environment is currently showing the hour glass and the debug window shows not responding.  All of that more or less makes sense.

But I have another completely independent VA Smalltalk program that displays the current time in different cities that is also frozen.  This program is very old (I wrote it when I was learning Smalltalk).  It is packaged and should have no connection to the development environment.

I guess it feels bad that the development environment is having problems so it also refuses to run.  What's up with that?

I have seen glimpses of this in the past but it was alway fleeting, this has been 15 minutes.

I just killed the development environment from the task manager, that freed the clock program, which now seems fine.

Lou

Re: Not responding VA Smalltalk development environment hangs other running VA Smalltalk programs

Instantiations mailing list
No, this is a general problem with VASmalltalk. I saw this behaviour
between VA GUI processes and even VisualStudio from Microsoft.

VASmalltalk interacts somehow via the Windows MessageQueue with other
programs under strange circumstances.

Marten

Am 20.07.2016 um 17:16 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:

> But I have another completely independent VA Smalltalk program that
> displays the current time in different cities that is also frozen.  This
> program is very old (I wrote it when I was learning Smalltalk).  It is
> packaged and should have no connection to the development environment.

Re: Not responding VA Smalltalk development environment hangs other running VA Smalltalk programs

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marten,

I really didn't think it felt bad that the development environment was having problems, just my little joke.

Lou

On Wednesday, July 20, 2016 at 1:29:23 PM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
No, this is a general problem with VASmalltalk. I saw this behaviour
between VA GUI processes and even VisualStudio from Microsoft.

VASmalltalk interacts somehow via the Windows MessageQueue with other
programs under strange circumstances.

Marten

Am 20.07.2016 um 17:16 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:

> But I have another completely independent VA Smalltalk program that
> displays the current time in different cities that is also frozen.  This
> program is very old (I wrote it when I was learning Smalltalk).  It is
> packaged and should have no connection to the development environment.

Re: Not responding VA Smalltalk development environment hangs other running VA Smalltalk programs

Marten Feldtmann-4

Sorry, the runtimes also might have problems ...

Louis LaBrunda <[hidden email]> hat am 20. Juli 2016 um 19:46 geschrieben: