Not seeing hidden character is confusing :)

Not seeing hidden character is confusing :)

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I have the impression that we can introduce hidden characters
while typing code and this is a problem to me because we do not see them :)
I got for example selhiddenf and it can lead to strange situations.

I will try to chase the key combinations that produce them and see how we
can control and avoid this situation.
If you find the key combination please let me know.

S.
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

France

Re: Not seeing hidden character is confusing :)

CyrilFerlicot
Shift + space = insecable space

It would be cool to be able to toggle a mode as in text editor where
hidden characters are represented by a symbol.

https://www.avrfreaks.net/sites/default/files/notepadpp.PNG

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Not seeing hidden character is confusing :)

Christopher Fuhrman-4
Honoré and I had a debugging session during my sabbatical that was 2+ hours because of a frustrating hidden character that got inserted in a string that was executed in a Shell command. It was not possible to see it in the Pharo editor.

It was a CTRL-X at some point, here's the commit where I removed it: https://github.com/fuhrmanator/GitMiner/commit/0b1e564ba2c25fb9cf7dfa925b06367f66a02b9b

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 at 15:49, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I have the impression that we can introduce hidden characters
while typing code and this is a problem to me because we do not see them :)
I got for example selhiddenf and it can lead to strange situations.

I will try to chase the key combinations that produce them and see how we
can control and avoid this situation.
If you find the key combination please let me know.

S.
03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

--
Christopher Fuhrman, P.Eng., PhD
Professeur au Département de génie logiciel et des technologies de l'information

http://profs.etsmtl.ca/cfuhrman
+1 514 396 8638
L'ÉTS est une constituante de l'Université du Québec

Re: Not seeing hidden character is confusing :)

Christopher Fuhrman-4
It was a CTRL-X

The context was pair-programming (we were using Honoré's Mac). I'm not much of a Mac user anymore, and so on Windows I do CTRL-X to cut (it's a reflex). But on a Mac one must use the Command key, right? I think this is how it happened, but I'm not 100% sure.

+1 514 396 8638
L'ÉTS est une constituante de l'Université du Québec

Re: Not seeing hidden character is confusing :)

tbrunz
Something like this, yes.  And the visualized codes in the editor should be
the *default* view -- there are little to no cases where embedded
non-printable control codes would be intentional.

I can't even think of a case where you would want to press a key combination
to make them disappear...

And I would argue that turning off this visualization of non-printable codes
should be a menu choice to toggle them invisible, not a key sequence.