Notebook/slideshow morph

blake watson
Hey, all--

I've used Squeak successfully in the past to replace PowerPoint (and provide some interactivity in a presentation). Does Pharo have a similar navigable notebook tool like Squeak had?

I'm looking for something like a notebook I can add pages to, write some text on, paste some pictures or objects on, etc.

===Blake===

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

stepharo
Hi Blake

There is no such notebook.
Now I wrote one long time ago (because I was frustrated that I could not
script the projects in Squeak) but I have to port it
tpo pharo first and check
if you want to give a try

     http://www.squeaksource.com/Slideshow.html

Le 6/3/15 18:05, blake a écrit :

> Hey, all--
>
> I've used Squeak successfully in the past to replace PowerPoint (and
> provide some interactivity in a presentation). Does Pharo have a
> similar navigable notebook tool like Squeak had?
>
> I'm looking for something like a notebook I can add pages to, write
> some text on, paste some pictures or objects on, etc.
>
> ===Blake===

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

stepharo
So I imported my old code (it was one week of test first experience).
I can open a slideshow, create page, drop morph on it, mark a page as
template and navigate.

I published the code at
     MCSmalltalkhubRepository
         owner: 'StephaneDucasse'
         project: 'PetitsBazars'
         user: ''
         password: ''

Stef

Le 6/3/15 18:05, blake a écrit :

> Hey, all--
>
> I've used Squeak successfully in the past to replace PowerPoint (and
> provide some interactivity in a presentation). Does Pharo have a
> similar navigable notebook tool like Squeak had?
>
> I'm looking for something like a notebook I can add pages to, write
> some text on, paste some pictures or objects on, etc.
>
> ===Blake===

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

Offray
Hi Blake,

One of the first things I did on Squak/Etoys as a presentation... looong
time ago[0], but I think it can be opened again in current vms. Now I'm
doing some kind of notebook in Moose and scholarly markdown, but they
are not for slides, but more related to book alike documents, links
about this alternative approach to documentation can be found on
[1][2][3][4][5].

[0] http://mutabit.com/deltas/repos.fossil/offray-maestria-tesis/index
[1]
http://mutabit.com/offray/static/blog/output/posts/grafoscopio-idea-and-initial-progress.html
[2] https://archive.org/details/gfcp-alpha-saving-playgrounds-1.mp4
[3] https://github.com/scholmd/scholmd/wiki
[4]
http://blog.martinfenner.org/2014/03/03/six-misunderstandings-about-scholarly-markdown/
[5] http://blog.martinfenner.org/2013/06/17/what-is-scholarly-markdown/

May be this notebooks could evolve to support slide alike presentations
(and even mind maps)... for the moment I need to focus on give them good
support for a markdown editing experience, but perhaps you're interested
in looking at it.

Cheers,

Offray

El 06/03/15 a las 12:05, blake escribió:

> Hey, all--
>
> I've used Squeak successfully in the past to replace PowerPoint (and provide
> some interactivity in a presentation). Does Pharo have a similar navigable
> notebook tool like Squeak had?
>
> I'm looking for something like a notebook I can add pages to, write some text
> on, paste some pictures or objects on, etc.
>
> ===Blake===

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
stepharo wrote
I can open a slideshow, create page, drop morph on it, mark a page as
template and navigate.
Cool! I used it very successfully to make a short screencast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTKvFRFoBc) about the little chord keyboard simulator I made. It was much nicer than my standard type-into-workspaces-with-irrelevant-code-completion-menus-popping-up approach :)

I fixed a little bug but don't have write access. How should I get it to you?

Thanks for sharing this! It was awesome to have e.g. workspaces and editable TextMorphs embedded in the slides to help me demo. The only limitation I felt was not having a UI to sort the slides, but... now that GT presents Morphs, it was pretty easy to do programmatically!

Cheers,
Sean

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

stepharo
Sean

did you add something to display slowly the title?
I wanted to rebuild it in Bloc to have a concrete goal but I got busy in
paper publishing and other admin tasks.
Stef

Le 27/3/15 22:18, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :

> stepharo wrote
>> I can open a slideshow, create page, drop morph on it, mark a page as
>> template and navigate.
> Cool! I used it very successfully to make a short screencast
> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTKvFRFoBc) about the little chord
> keyboard simulator I made. It was much nicer than my standard
> type-into-workspaces-with-irrelevant-code-completion-menus-popping-up
> approach :)
>
> I fixed a little bug but don't have write access. How should I get it to
> you?
>
> Thanks for sharing this! It was awesome to have e.g. workspaces and editable
> TextMorphs embedded in the slides to help me demo. The only limitation I
> felt was not having a UI to sort the slides, but... now that GT presents
> Morphs, it was pretty easy to do programmatically!
>
> <http://forum.world.st/file/n4815674/Screenshot_2015-03-27_17.png>
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

Julien Delplanque
Hi Sean,

How did you manage to make it work? I have error while loading "Bloc-*"
packages from pharo 4.
Seems its a dependency error for the second one. What package do I need
to load with it?

Regards,
Julien

On 27/03/15 22:18, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> stepharo wrote
>> I can open a slideshow, create page, drop morph on it, mark a page as
>> template and navigate.
> Cool! I used it very successfully to make a short screencast
> (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTKvFRFoBc) about the little chord
> keyboard simulator I made. It was much nicer than my standard
> type-into-workspaces-with-irrelevant-code-completion-menus-popping-up
> approach :)
>
> I fixed a little bug but don't have write access. How should I get it to
> you?
>
> Thanks for sharing this! It was awesome to have e.g. workspaces and editable
> TextMorphs embedded in the slides to help me demo. The only limitation I
> felt was not having a UI to sort the slides, but... now that GT presents
> Morphs, it was pretty easy to do programmatically!
>
> <http://forum.world.st/file/n4815674/Screenshot_2015-03-27_17.png>
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Capture =?windows-1252?Q?d=27=E9cran_de_2015-03-28_12=3A21=3A07=2Ep?= =?windows-1252?Q?ng?= (41K) Download Attachment
Capture =?windows-1252?Q?d=27=E9cran_de_2015-03-28_12=3A24=3A32=2Ep?= =?windows-1252?Q?ng?= (64K) Download Attachment

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

kilon.alios
very cool demo Sean, great job :)

This chord keyb shortcuts look very useful. I have though doing something similar in the past.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
stepharo wrote
> I can open a slideshow, create page, drop morph on it, mark a page as
> template and navigate.

Cool! I used it very successfully to make a short screencast
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdTKvFRFoBc) about the little chord
keyboard simulator I made. It was much nicer than my standard
type-into-workspaces-with-irrelevant-code-completion-menus-popping-up
approach :)

I fixed a little bug but don't have write access. How should I get it to
you?

Thanks for sharing this! It was awesome to have e.g. workspaces and editable
TextMorphs embedded in the slides to help me demo. The only limitation I
felt was not having a UI to sort the slides, but... now that GT presents
Morphs, it was pretty easy to do programmatically!

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4815674/Screenshot_2015-03-27_17.png>

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
> did you add something to display slowly the title?
Yes, but that part was an ugly hack just to get the demo working, no design at all. I did however do a bit of internal refactoring to the slide show itself which I can integrate. Do you want to move it somewhere more accessible, like under one of the Pharo team's repos?
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Notebook/slideshow morph

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Julien Delplanque wrote
How did you manage to make it work?... What package do I need
to load with it?
Gofer it
 smalltalkhubUser: 'StephaneDucasse' project: 'PetitsBazars';
 package: 'Morphic-Slideshow';
 load.
Cheers,
Sean

Thanks!

Le 28/3/15 14:19, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :
> did you add something to display slowly the title?
Yes, but that part was an ugly hack just to get the demo working, no design at all. I did however do a bit of internal refactoring to the slide show itself which I can integrate. Do you want to move it somewhere more accessible, like under one of the Pharo team's repos?

If you want.
If people want to improve/change ad get it better they have my blessing :)

Cheers,
Sean