Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Now available: a database conectivity API and its MySQL implementation

Anindya Haldar
I am extremely pleased to offer to the community a generic Smalltalk API for database connectivity API, along with a MySQL implementation written from ground up. Think of JDBC and DBI like interfaces in other languages and environments, and this one offers abstract facilities like connection, prepared statement, resultset, row, metdata and so on for the application.

The API implementation uses driver delegates, and insulates the applications from the driver specific interfaces. As of now, a MySQL implementation is available, with other databases engine supports in the future plans.

The API supports server side prepared statements and cursor based fetch implemented in the MySQL driver.

The implementation is currently available in 3 parts:

1) StdbCore project: This is primarily the API definitions and the delegation logic
URL: http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbCore.html

2) StdbMysqlImpl project: This is the MySQL implementation of the StdbCore API
URL: http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbMysqlImpl.html

3) StdbMysqlProtocol project: This is the underlying MySQL protocol driver, and used by the MySQL API implementation
URL: http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbMysqlProtocol.html

There is a package load ordering dependency (documented in the MySQL implementation project). Please load the core and the protocol driver packages first, before you load the implementation package.

Combined, the packages has around 200 tests (most of them in the protocol driver and the API implementation) and are running green on Pharo 1.1.1 one click, Squeak 4.2 one click, Squeak 3.10 (with Seaside 2-8-573 dev image) under Mac OS X 10.5.8 with MySQL server 5.0.67.

This was in the making for some time; and I feel it is time to share it with the community. I will continue to post more documentation and code snippets in the project page Wiki sections. For now, looking up the tests may be your best guide.

Happy programming!

Best,
Anindya Haldar

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Now available: a database conectivity API and its MySQL implementation

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks

what is the license?

Stef

On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Anindya Haldar wrote:

> I am extremely pleased to offer to the community a generic Smalltalk API for database connectivity API, along with a MySQL implementation written from ground up. Think of JDBC and DBI like interfaces in other languages and environments, and this one offers abstract facilities like connection, prepared statement, resultset, row, metdata and so on for the application.
>
> The API implementation uses driver delegates, and insulates the applications from the driver specific interfaces. As of now, a MySQL implementation is available, with other databases engine supports in the future plans.
>
> The API supports server side prepared statements and cursor based fetch implemented in the MySQL driver.
>
> The implementation is currently available in 3 parts:
>
> 1) StdbCore project: This is primarily the API definitions and the delegation logic
> URL: http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbCore.html
>
> 2) StdbMysqlImpl project: This is the MySQL implementation of the StdbCore API
> URL: http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbMysqlImpl.html
>
> 3) StdbMysqlProtocol project: This is the underlying MySQL protocol driver, and used by the MySQL API implementation
> URL: http://www.squeaksource.com/StdbMysqlProtocol.html
>
> There is a package load ordering dependency (documented in the MySQL implementation project). Please load the core and the protocol driver packages first, before you load the implementation package.
>
> Combined, the packages has around 200 tests (most of them in the protocol driver and the API implementation) and are running green on Pharo 1.1.1 one click, Squeak 4.2 one click, Squeak 3.10 (with Seaside 2-8-573 dev image) under Mac OS X 10.5.8 with MySQL server 5.0.67.
>
> This was in the making for some time; and I feel it is time to share it with the community. I will continue to post more documentation and code snippets in the project page Wiki sections. For now, looking up the tests may be your best guide.
>
> Happy programming!
>
> Best,
> Anindya Haldar
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [squeak-dev] Now available: a database conectivity API and its MySQL implementation

Mariano Martinez Peck
In reply to this post by Anindya Haldar
Hi Anindya. Nice to hear more effort on this front.

Is there any particular reason of spending all this amount of work consider we already have DBXTalk? wouldn't be better to improve the former?
DBXTalk is exactly the same, and it is already working with Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Sqlite3, Sybase, etc. The main problem is that we depend on an external library like OpenDBX. I guess you are using a native connection with sockets.
Moreover, we have ported Glorp and adapt it to use DBXTalk driver.

What I mean is that we can join forces. For example, if you did an implementation of the MySQL natively (if fact, there is already one in squeaksource although it is a little bit outdated), we could try to make the same API as DBXTalk. That way, still with the same API we can use your driver. And you can use Glorp with your driver as well.

Cheers

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Anindya Haldar <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am extremely pleased to offer to the community a generic Smalltalk API for database connectivity API, along with a MySQL implementation written from ground up. Think of JDBC and DBI like interfaces in other languages and environments, and this one offers abstract facilities like connection, prepared statement, resultset, row, metdata and so on for the application.

The API implementation uses driver delegates, and insulates the applications from the driver specific interfaces. As of now, a MySQL implementation is available, with other databases engine supports in the future plans.

The API supports server side prepared statements and cursor based fetch implemented in the MySQL driver.

1) StdbCore project: This is primarily the API definitions and the delegation logic

3) StdbMysqlProtocol project: This is the underlying MySQL protocol driver, and used by the MySQL API implementation

There is a package load ordering dependency (documented in the MySQL implementation project). Please load the core and the protocol driver packages first, before you load the implementation package.

Combined, the packages has around 200 tests (most of them in the protocol driver and the API implementation) and are running green on Pharo 1.1.1 one click, Squeak 4.2 one click, Squeak 3.10 (with Seaside 2-8-573 dev image) under Mac OS X 10.5.8 with MySQL server 5.0.67.

This was in the making for some time; and I feel it is time to share it with the community. I will continue to post more documentation and code snippets in the project page Wiki sections. For now, looking up the tests may be your best guide.

Happy programming!

Best,
Anindya Haldar

--
Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Reply | Threaded
|

Anindya Haldar
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse
I have now set the projects to MIT license. Thanks for the reminder.

- Anindya

To: Anindya Haldar <[hidden email]>; A friendly place where any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:18 AM
Subject: Re: [Pharo-users] Now available: a database conectivity API and its MySQL implementation

thanks

what is the license?

Stef

On Sep 29, 2011, at 10:11 AM, Anindya Haldar wrote:

> I am extremely pleased to offer to the community a generic Smalltalk API for database connectivity API, along with a MySQL implementation written from ground up. Think of JDBC and DBI like interfaces in other languages and environments, and this one offers abstract facilities like connection, prepared statement, resultset, row, metdata and so on for the application.
>
> The API implementation uses driver delegates, and insulates the applications from the driver specific interfaces. As of now, a MySQL implementation is available, with other databases engine supports in the future plans.
>
> The API supports server side prepared statements and cursor based fetch implemented in the MySQL driver.
>
>
> 1) StdbCore project: This is primarily the API definitions and the delegation logic
>
> 2) StdbMysqlImpl project: This is the MySQL implementation of the StdbCore API
>
> 3) StdbMysqlProtocol project: This is the underlying MySQL protocol driver, and used by the MySQL API implementation
>
> There is a package load ordering dependency (documented in the MySQL implementation project). Please load the core and the protocol driver packages first, before you load the implementation package.
>
> Combined, the packages has around 200 tests (most of them in the protocol driver and the API implementation) and are running green on Pharo 1.1.1 one click, Squeak 4.2 one click, Squeak 3.10 (with Seaside 2-8-573 dev image) under Mac OS X 10.5.8 with MySQL server 5.0.67.
>
> This was in the making for some time; and I feel it is time to share it with the community. I will continue to post more documentation and code snippets in the project page Wiki sections. For now, looking up the tests may be your best guide.
>
> Happy programming!
>
> Best,
> Anindya Haldar
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Anindya Haldar
In reply to this post by Anindya Haldar
Thanks Andreas. The MySQL protocol is a native all-Smalltalk MySQL driver. There is no FFI or plugin associated with it. The driver implements the MySQL wire protocol on top of socket stream.

Best,
Anindya

To: Anindya Haldar <[hidden email]>; The general-purpose Squeak developers list <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:22 AM
Subject: Re: Now available: a database conectivity API and its MySQL implementation

Very nice. Quick question: How are you accessing the MySQL db? Are you
using a network connection or some FFI facilities? If you are using a
network connection, we might have use for your project right away; our
current FFI based ODBC implementation causes headaches when the calls
take a long time (>1sec).

Cheers,
  - Andreas

On 9/29/2011 10:11, Anindya Haldar wrote:

> I am extremely pleased to offer to the community a generic Smalltalk API
> for database connectivity API, along with a MySQL implementation written
> from ground up. Think of JDBC and DBI like interfaces in other languages
> and environments, and this one offers abstract facilities like
> connection, prepared statement, resultset, row, metdata and so on for
> the application.
>
> The API implementation uses driver delegates, and insulates the
> applications from the driver specific interfaces. As of now, a MySQL
> implementation is available, with other databases engine supports in the
> future plans.
>
> The API supports server side prepared sta tements and cursor based fetch
> implemented in the MySQL driver.
>
>
> 1) StdbCore project: This is primarily the API definitions and the
> delegation logic
>
> 2) StdbMysqlImpl project: This is the MySQL implementation of the
> StdbCore API
>
> 3) StdbMysqlProtocol project: This is the underlying MySQL protocol
> driver, and used by the MySQL API implementation
>
> There is a package load ordering dependency (documented in the MySQL
> implementation project). Please load the core and the protocol driver
> packages first, before you load the implementation package.
>
> Combined, the packages has around 200 tests (most of them in the
> protocol driver and the API implementation) and are running green on
> Pharo 1.1.1 one click, Squeak 4.2 one click, Squeak 3.10 (with Seaside
> 2-8-573 dev image) under Mac OS X 10.5.8 with MySQL server 5.0.67.
>
> This was in the making for some time; and I feel it is time to share it
> with the community. I will continue to post more documentation and code
> snippets in the project page Wiki sections. For now, looking up the
> tests may be your best guide.
>
> Happy programming!
>
> Best,
> Anindya Haldar
>
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [squeak-dev] Now available: a database conectivity API and its MySQL implementation

Anindya Haldar
In reply to this post by Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Mariano,

A couple of things with some history can perhaps explain this a bit better.

- This all started almost a couple of years ago, when I was looking for a JDBC/DBI style API with MySQL support.
- There was a MySQL driver, although a bit dated, and it lacked certain features I thought would be pretty compelling to have.
- At that time I was not aware of OpenDBX, and even today I know very little about it. That is not a reflection on OpenDBX, it is my own limitation
- I always wished for a rich, consistent database API with native Smalltalk drivers in Squeak/Pharo.
- Since the protocol driver talks MySQL packets, and it should be possible to implement the DBXTalk API on top of it, in the same way the StdbMysqlImpl implements StdbCore API on top of the protocol driver. You may have noticed that the protocol driver is a separate project, and should be usable by any other projects for implementing another type/style of driver API

I fully recognize your point here. I do wish all success to the DBX project.

In my case it was just some long-drawn ans slow personal effort that I thought the result might be useful to the community.

Best,
Anindya

To: Anindya Haldar <[hidden email]>; "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:25 AM
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Now available: a database conectivity API and its MySQL implementation

Is there any particular reason of spending all this amount of work consider we already have DBXTalk? wouldn't be better to improve the former?
DBXTalk is exactly the same, and it is already working with Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server, Sqlite3, Sybase, etc. The main problem is that we depend on an external library like OpenDBX. I guess you are using a native connection with sockets.

What I mean is that we can join forces. For example, if you did an implementation of the MySQL natively (if fact, there is already one in squeaksource although it is a little bit outdated), we could try to make the same API as DBXTalk. That way, still with the same API we can use your driver. And you can use Glorp with your driver as well.

Cheers

Happy programming!

Best,
Anindya Haldar

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Anindya Haldar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

- This all started almost a couple of years ago, when I was looking for a JDBC/DBI style API with MySQL support.
- There was a MySQL driver, although a bit dated, and it lacked certain features I thought would be pretty compelling to have.
- At that time I was not aware of OpenDBX, and even today I know very little about it. That is not a reflection on OpenDBX, it is my own limitation
- I always wished for a rich, consistent database API with native Smalltalk drivers in Squeak/Pharo.
- Since the protocol driver talks MySQL packets, and it should be possible to implement the DBXTalk API on top of it, in the same way the StdbMysqlImpl implements StdbCore API on top of the protocol driver. You may have noticed that the protocol driver is a separate project, and should be usable by any other projects for implementing another type/style of driver API

In my case it was just some long-drawn ans slow personal effort that I thought the result might be useful to the community.

Hi Anindya. Please, do not misunderstood me. I am really happy that there is more effort in the relational world, and your work is amazing. It is TOTALLY useful for the community. I wish we could have even more native drivers and use less FFI. That's awesome. So, please go on with your work.

Previously, Glorp port to squeak has totally hardcoded to the PostgreSQL driver. Now, we have totally separated that, and we have a DatabaseDriver abstract class. It should be easy for you to create a subclass and create a concrete GlorpMySQLNativeDriver :)   So you can have Glorp working out of the box.

Another alternative is to adapt your driver (subclass in our DBXTAlk model) that delegates to your driver. That way you can use OpenDBX API with your driver, which means that you can also use Glorp for example.

If you are interested, please let me know and I can go further in the details :)

Best regards,

Best,
Anindya

Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Now available: a database conectivity API and its MySQL implementation

Cheers

Happy programming!

Best,
Anindya Haldar

--
Mariano

--
Mariano

Reply | Threaded
|

Anindya Haldar
Thanks Mariano, for your encouraging words and the ideas you suggested on various integrations with the native MySQL driver. I don't know GLORP as such, but I think GLORP with nativeMySQL binding will be pretty useful, since GLORP is popular among Smalltalkers overall. 

Best,
Anindya

To: Anindya Haldar <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>
Sent: Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:13 AM

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 5:04 PM, Anindya Haldar <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Mariano,

Hi Anindya. Please, do not misunderstood me. I am really happy that there is more effort in the relational world, and your work is amazing. It is TOTALLY useful for the community. I wish we could have even more native drivers and use less FFI. That's awesome. So, please go on with your work.

Previously, Glorp port to squeak has totally hardcoded to the PostgreSQL driver. Now, we have totally separated that, and we have a DatabaseDriver abstract class. It should be easy for you to create a subclass and create a concrete GlorpMySQLNativeDriver :)   So you can have Glorp working out of the box.

Another alternative is to adapt your driver (subclass in our DBXTAlk model) that delegates to your driver. That way you can use OpenDBX API with your driver, which means that you can also use Glorp for example.

If you are interested, please let me know and I can go further in the details :)

Best regards,

Best,
Anindya

Cheers

Happy programming!

Best,
Anindya Haldar

--
Mariano

--
Mariano