Numbers showing up in Transcript

Daniel Klein
I'm getting a bunch of numbers showing up in the Transcript without my doing anything (that I know of). For example:

18 19
19 20
22 29
557 562
570 571
598 599
514 515

What are they? And why are they showing up?

Dan

Re: Numbers showing up in Transcript

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Daniel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm getting a bunch of numbers showing up in the Transcript without my doing anything (that I know of). For example:

18 19
19 20
22 29
557 562
570 571
598 599
514 515

What are they? And why are they showing up?

Hi dan. Yes, I saw that also. Definitvly it is a bug. I am sure there is some Transcript show:  somewhere in the pharo base code....
I think there is an issue opened with it on the bug tracker. can you check?

It would be nice to found the place where this print was left on :(

Mariano

Re: Numbers showing up in Transcript

Trace for the events when we were chasing bug in doubleclick :)
I would love to know where they are generated from.
Stef

> I'm getting a bunch of numbers showing up in the Transcript without my doing anything (that I know of). For example:
>
> 18 19
> 19 20
> 22 29
> 557 562
> 570 571
> 598 599
> 514 515
>
> What are they? And why are they showing up?
>
> Dan

Re: Numbers showing up in Transcript

Mariano Martinez Peck
the problem is that I don't see them all the time. Just sometimes.
Dan, can you reproduce them someway?  if true, please put a breakpoint (or a haltOnce) in ThreadSafeTranscript >> show: anObject

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Trace for the events when we were chasing bug in doubleclick :)
I would love to know where they are generated from.
Stef

> I'm getting a bunch of numbers showing up in the Transcript without my doing anything (that I know of). For example:
>
> 18 19
> 19 20
> 22 29
> 557 562
> 570 571
> 598 599
> 514 515
>
> What are they? And why are they showing up?
>
> Dan

Re: Numbers showing up in Transcript

Sven Van Caekenberghe
I think this has to do with syntax highlighting or something like that (maybe Shout related), esp. with brackets auto inserting or wrapping. It doesn't happen in Core images, or my dev images generated from Core, but I saw it before in Dev images.

HTH,

Sven

On 30 Dec 2010, at 17:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> the problem is that I don't see them all the time. Just sometimes.
> Dan, can you reproduce them someway?  if true, please put a breakpoint (or a haltOnce) in ThreadSafeTranscript >> show: anObject
>

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Trace for the events when we were chasing bug in doubleclick :)
> I would love to know where they are generated from.
> Stef
>

> > I'm getting a bunch of numbers showing up in the Transcript without my doing anything (that I know of). For example:
> >
> > 18 19
> > 19 20
> > 22 29
> > 557 562
> > 570 571
> > 598 599
> > 514 515
> >
> > What are they? And why are they showing up?
> >
> > Dan

Re: Numbers showing up in Transcript

Mariano Martinez Peck
BTW Dan, which image are you using exactly?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this has to do with syntax highlighting or something like that (maybe Shout related), esp. with brackets auto inserting or wrapping. It doesn't happen in Core images, or my dev images generated from Core, but I saw it before in Dev images.

HTH,

Sven

On 30 Dec 2010, at 17:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> the problem is that I don't see them all the time. Just sometimes.
> Dan, can you reproduce them someway?  if true, please put a breakpoint (or a haltOnce) in ThreadSafeTranscript >> show: anObject
>

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Trace for the events when we were chasing bug in doubleclick :)
> I would love to know where they are generated from.
> Stef
>

> > I'm getting a bunch of numbers showing up in the Transcript without my doing anything (that I know of). For example:
> >
> > 18 19
> > 19 20
> > 22 29
> > 557 562
> > 570 571
> > 598 599
> > 514 515
> >
> > What are they? And why are they showing up?
> >
> > Dan

Re: Numbers showing up in Transcript

Daniel Klein
Pharo-1.1.1--
Latest update: #11414

I will see what I can do to either find it or reproduce it.

Dan

BTW Dan, which image are you using exactly?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think this has to do with syntax highlighting or something like that (maybe Shout related), esp. with brackets auto inserting or wrapping. It doesn't happen in Core images, or my dev images generated from Core, but I saw it before in Dev images.

HTH,

Sven

On 30 Dec 2010, at 17:29, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> the problem is that I don't see them all the time. Just sometimes.
> Dan, can you reproduce them someway?  if true, please put a breakpoint (or a haltOnce) in ThreadSafeTranscript >> show: anObject
>

> On Thu, Dec 30, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Trace for the events when we were chasing bug in doubleclick :)
> I would love to know where they are generated from.
> Stef
>

> > I'm getting a bunch of numbers showing up in the Transcript without my doing anything (that I know of). For example:
> >
> > 18 19
> > 19 20
> > 22 29
> > 557 562
> > 570 571
> > 598 599
> > 514 515
> >
> > What are they? And why are they showing up?
> >
> > Dan

Re: Numbers showing up in Transcript

Daniel Klein
There is issue 2610, but it is 'closed'. The closing comment, by marcus.denker, is: "I think this has been fixed in 1.2"

I can't tell if it is fixed on 1.2 cos I don't know how to turn this behavior on? What setting is it?

I can reproduce it on 1.1 with these steps:

1) Open the the Transcript window
2) Open a Shout Workspace
3) type a ( or [, (or any of the special characters that automatically display the 'closing' character), then move the cursor with the right or left arrow key

The numbers that show up in the Transcript are the column positions of the characters. It appears to be some debugging code left in.

If I wanted to find where this bug is myself, where would I start to look? Can you give me a hint?

***

Another question: How can I search the source code in the image for a particular string?

Dan

Mariano

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Daniel Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
There is issue 2610, but it is 'closed'. The closing comment, by marcus.denker, is: "I think this has been fixed in 1.2"

Thanks for the research.
Indeed, it is solved in pharo 1.2

I can't tell if it is fixed on 1.2 cos I don't know how to turn this behavior on? What setting is it?

I can reproduce it on 1.1 with these steps:

1) Open the the Transcript window
2) Open a Shout Workspace
3) type a ( or [, (or any of the special characters that automatically display the 'closing' character), then move the cursor with the right or left arrow key

The numbers that show up in the Transcript are the column positions of the characters. It appears to be some debugging code left in.

Excellent. With this help, I just put a breakpoint in ThreadSafeTranscript >> #show:
and see who was calling it ;)
The result was that it was being called from

ECController >> checkNeedlesCharacter: aCharacter
    | result |
    oppositeChar ifNil: [ ^ false ].
    result := oppositeChar = aCharacter.

    result ifTrue:
        [caret = (editor caret - 1)
            ifTrue: [editor selectAt: editor caret + 1. self invalidateEditorMorph]
            ifFalse: [editor zapSelectionWith: aCharacter asString. editor selectFrom: editor caret + 1 to: editor caret]].
    Transcript crShow: caret; space; show: editor caret.
    oppositeChar := nil.
    ^ result

This is the completion tool. It is not part of pharo core, but in Pharo1.2 it is fixed becuase it uses newer versions of OCompletion, with seems to have fixed this.

If I wanted to find where this bug is myself, where would I start to look? Can you give me a hint?

First, put a breakpoint in the transcript show: was a good idea.
Then, you can serach in all the code, the stringf 'Transcript show:' for example

***

Another question: How can I search the source code in the image for a particular string?

type the string somewhere, for example, 'Transcript show:', right button -> "extended search" -> "method source with it"

Dan