Numerical Methods - January 2016 edition

Numerical Methods - January 2016 edition

SergeStinckwich
Dear all,

a new pre-release of the book "Numerical methods" is available online:

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/NumericalMethods/releases/tag/snapshot-2016-01-17

Please have a look to the book to find typos and errors.

Thank you.
Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)

Re: Numerical Methods - January 2016 edition

werner kassens-2
Hi,
i mention here only the most obvious things i found up to chapter 1.2 (exclusively), but even that was exhausting. id guess its a relatively big task for some amateurs and wonder a bit how this would be doable. anyway, these are approximately 5 pages (out of 400):

p v:Instead I wanted to illustrate how mapping between mathematical
concepts and computer objects.
->incomplete sentence: either "...how mapping...works" or better the final original "Instead I wanted to illustrate mapping between mathematical concepts and computer objects."
p v:Because the intent of the book is showing numerical methods to object-
oriented programmers the code presented in commented in depth.
->incomplete sentence,original: "Because the book's intent is to show numerical methods to object-
oriented programmers, the code presented here is commented in depth."
p vi:First the necessary equation are
introduced with short explanation.
->grammar, original:First the necessary equations are introduced with short explanations.
p vi: Finally, this book intending to be a practical one, ...
->grammar, original:"Finally, because this book is intended to be a practical one,"
p vi:As far as possible each algorithm is presented with such example of use.
->strange, original: As far as possible each algorithm is presented with examples of use.
p vi:Without their open-mindedness this book
would never made it to a publisher.
->"...would never had made it.."
p1: Of course a few new techniques are been invented
->...have been...
p2: In the recent years object-oriented programming — OOP for short — has been
welcomed for its ability to represent objects from the real world - employees,
bank accounts, etc. - inside a computer
->inconsistent use of"—","In the recent years object-oriented programming (OOP) has been
welcomed for its ability to represent objects from the real world (employees,
bank accounts, etc.) inside a computer"
p2:The UML user guides goes...
->...guide...
p2:..before the wide spread...
->...widespread...
p3:Better than an
argumentation, we show how to implement some numerical algorithms selected
among those which we think are most useful for the areas where object-oriented
software is used primarily:
->Providing more than an
argumentation, i show how to implement some numerical algorithms, selected
among those that, in my opinion, are most useful ...

On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

a new pre-release of the book "Numerical methods" is available online:

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/NumericalMethods/releases/tag/snapshot-2016-01-17

Please have a look to the book to find typos and errors.

Thank you.
Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Numerical Methods - January 2016 edition

SergeStinckwich
Thank you Werner.

Can you propose a pull request with those modifications ?

Regards,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 3:52 PM, werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> a new pre-release of the book "Numerical methods" is available online:
>>

>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/NumericalMethods/releases/tag/snapshot-2016-01-17
>>
>> Please have a look to the book to find typos and errors.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
>>
>> --

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Numerical Methods - January 2016 edition

Sorry Serge, but i cant do that, so far i havent used pillar and i find git so extremely difficult to use, everytime i use github for the most simple upload i first need an hour to reread the instructions.
werner

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:19 PM, Serge Stinckwich <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> On Sun, Jan 17, 2016 at 9:12 PM, Serge Stinckwich
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> a new pre-release of the book "Numerical methods" is available online:
>>

>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/NumericalMethods/releases/tag/snapshot-2016-01-17
>>
>> Please have a look to the book to find typos and errors.
>>
>> Thank you.
>> Regards,
>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
>>
>> --

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Numerical Methods - January 2016 edition

BTW the book is based on LaTeX right now, we will move to Pillar later.

There is some very simple git tutorial like this one:
http://rogerdudler.github.io/git-guide/

Regards,

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 4:32 PM, werner kassens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > argumentation, we show how to implement some numerical algorithms
>> > selected
>> > among those which we think are most useful for the areas where
>> > object-oriented
>> > software is used primarily:
>> > ->Providing more than an
>> > argumentation, i show how to implement some numerical algorithms,
>> > selected
>> > among those that, in my opinion, are most useful ...

>> > --
>>

>> --
>> Serge Stinckwich
>> UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
>> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
>> http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/
>>
>> --

Serge Stinckwich
UCBN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://www.doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Numerical Methods - January 2016 edition

I take into account your remarks here:

https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates/NumericalMethods/issues/4