Numerical/probability packages for VW

stefano-franchi
Does anyone know of (free) numerical packages for
VisualWorks/Smallltalk that implement Random classes producing a stream
according to a predefined probability distribution (Gaussian, etc)? The
numerical packages I found on the repository seem to be limited to
linear algebra. It looks like the book  Numerical algorithms in Java
and Smalltalk by Didier Besset may contain what I need, but since our
library unfortunately does not own it I can't really tell.

Thx,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
University Of Auckland Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
Private Bag 92019 [hidden email]
Auckland
New Zealand

Re: Numerical/probability packages for VW

Reinout Heeck
See

http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/Smalltalk+Numerical+Methods

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhbnumerics/

Cheers,

Reinout
--------

On Jun 3, 2006, at 8:46 AM, Stefano Franchi wrote:

> Does anyone know of (free) numerical packages for VisualWorks/
> Smallltalk that implement Random classes producing a stream
> according to a predefined probability distribution (Gaussian, etc)?
> The numerical packages I found on the repository seem to be limited
> to linear algebra. It looks like the book  Numerical algorithms in
> Java and Smalltalk by Didier Besset may contain what I need, but
> since our library unfortunately does not own it I can't really tell.
>
> Thx,
>
> Stefano

> Stefano Franchi
> Department of Philosophy                  Ph:  (64)  9 373-7599 x83940
> University Of Auckland Fax: (64) 9 373-8768
> Private Bag 92019 [hidden email]
> Auckland
> New Zealand

Re: Numerical/probability packages for VW

Reinout Heeck-2
Stefano,

The code coming with the book of Didier Besset has been ported to several
dialects, including VW, in a CampSmalltalk project.

http://wiki.cs.uiuc.edu/CampSmalltalk/Smalltalk+Numerical+Methods
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhbnumerics/

Adriaan.

http://vdg38bis.xs4all.nl

Re: Numerical/probability packages for VW

stefano-franchi
Thank you so much Adriaan and Reinout. That's a great starting point.

Best,

Stefano