classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OB column width resizing

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I'd love to be able to resize the column widths in OB. I have a 3" protocol column with the longest row being "testing", and all the method names are running off the side of the window.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: OB column width resizing

Lukas Renggli
See http://groups.google.com/group/omnibrowser-dev/browse_thread/thread/395723875f109104

On 17 June 2011 21:22, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd love to be able to resize the column widths in OB. I have a 3" protocol
> column with the longest row being "testing", and all the method names are
> running off the side of the window.
>
> Sean
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/OB-column-width-resizing-tp3606264p3606264.html
> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>
>

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Reply | Threaded
|

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
As my Pharo MVP framework grows, I am starting to miss Dolphin's layout managers.  The voodoo of automatically inserting splitters is, IMHO, time thrown after bad.  We should instead have easy-to-use widgets that do what one expects and then explicitly place them where they belong.

Dolphin's proportional layouts can be set as horizontal or vertical, and one can add splitters to allow the proportions to be changed.  An aspect called #arrangement can be set to zero to make something fixed size or to any number which then becomes that much out of the sum of peer #arrangement values.

My first priority is to get any type of layout that is reliable with deeply nested composites.  Not there yet :(

Bill

Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 4:00 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] OB column width resizing

Lukas Renggli wrote:
>
> See
> http://groups.google.com/group/omnibrowser-dev/browse_thread/thread/395723875f109104
>

Thx :(

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/OB-column-width-resizing-tp3606264p3606347.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
bill

did you check the idea of igor about layout that acts as anchors?

Stef

On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> As my Pharo MVP framework grows, I am starting to miss Dolphin's layout managers.  The voodoo of automatically inserting splitters is, IMHO, time thrown after bad.  We should instead have easy-to-use widgets that do what one expects and then explicitly place them where they belong.
>
> Dolphin's proportional layouts can be set as horizontal or vertical, and one can add splitters to allow the proportions to be changed.  An aspect called #arrangement can be set to zero to make something fixed size or to any number which then becomes that much out of the sum of peer #arrangement values.
>
> My first priority is to get any type of layout that is reliable with deeply nested composites.  Not there yet :(
>
> Bill
>
>
>
> ________________________________________
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Sean P. DeNigris [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 4:00 PM
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] OB column width resizing
>
> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>> See
>> http://groups.google.com/group/omnibrowser-dev/browse_thread/thread/395723875f109104
>>
>
> Thx :(
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/OB-column-width-resizing-tp3606264p3606347.html
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

I had missed it.  Fernando raises some good points about the layout manager.  One of the ways I have historically solved some of the problems that arise is to use "way too many"<g> nested containers.

Consider making a list of several labeled text fields for a dialog box.  One approach to that is a pair of vertical proportional layouts, one with the labels (each aligning text to the right) and another with the fields.  Put both of them in another container to size them to available space in something else.

Igor and Fernando reminded me of something I failed to mention about Dolphin: the layout manager of a container forces particular types for the managed subviews' #arrangement.  ProportionalLayout wants numbers; FramingLayout wants things very similar to what exists in Pharo.  Framing layout is very powerful, but nested proportionals can often to pretty much the same thing and often with far less anguish.

Bill

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:01 AM

bill

did you check the idea of igor about layout that acts as anchors?

Stef

On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> As my Pharo MVP framework grows, I am starting to miss Dolphin's layout managers.  The voodoo of automatically inserting splitters is, IMHO, time thrown after bad.  We should instead have easy-to-use widgets that do what one expects and then explicitly place them where they belong.
>
> Dolphin's proportional layouts can be set as horizontal or vertical, and one can add splitters to allow the proportions to be changed.  An aspect called #arrangement can be set to zero to make something fixed size or to any number which then becomes that much out of the sum of peer #arrangement values.
>
> My first priority is to get any type of layout that is reliable with deeply nested composites.  Not there yet :(
>
> Bill
>
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Sean P. DeNigris [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 4:00 PM
>
> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>
>> See
>> http://groups.google.com/group/omnibrowser-dev/browse_thread/thread/395723875f109104
>>
>
> Thx :(
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/OB-column-width-resizing-tp3606264p3606347.html
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
Igor

do you have your code somewhere?

Stef

On Jun 18, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I had missed it.  Fernando raises some good points about the layout manager.  One of the ways I have historically solved some of the problems that arise is to use "way too many"<g> nested containers.
>
> Consider making a list of several labeled text fields for a dialog box.  One approach to that is a pair of vertical proportional layouts, one with the labels (each aligning text to the right) and another with the fields.  Put both of them in another container to size them to available space in something else.
>
> Igor and Fernando reminded me of something I failed to mention about Dolphin: the layout manager of a container forces particular types for the managed subviews' #arrangement.  ProportionalLayout wants numbers; FramingLayout wants things very similar to what exists in Pharo.  Framing layout is very powerful, but nested proportionals can often to pretty much the same thing and often with far less anguish.
>
> Bill
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:01 AM
>
> bill
>
> did you check the idea of igor about layout that acts as anchors?
>
> Stef
>
>
> On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> As my Pharo MVP framework grows, I am starting to miss Dolphin's layout managers.  The voodoo of automatically inserting splitters is, IMHO, time thrown after bad.  We should instead have easy-to-use widgets that do what one expects and then explicitly place them where they belong.
>>
>> Dolphin's proportional layouts can be set as horizontal or vertical, and one can add splitters to allow the proportions to be changed.  An aspect called #arrangement can be set to zero to make something fixed size or to any number which then becomes that much out of the sum of peer #arrangement values.
>>
>> My first priority is to get any type of layout that is reliable with deeply nested composites.  Not there yet :(
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>> ________________________________________
>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Sean P. DeNigris [[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 4:00 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] OB column width resizing
>>
>> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/omnibrowser-dev/browse_thread/thread/395723875f109104
>>>
>>
>> Thx :(
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/OB-column-width-resizing-tp3606264p3606347.html
>> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Not yet - it's still very crude on some of the more important points.

Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 8:59 AM

Igor

do you have your code somewhere?

Stef

On Jun 18, 2011, at 2:47 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I had missed it.  Fernando raises some good points about the layout manager.  One of the ways I have historically solved some of the problems that arise is to use "way too many"<g> nested containers.
>
> Consider making a list of several labeled text fields for a dialog box.  One approach to that is a pair of vertical proportional layouts, one with the labels (each aligning text to the right) and another with the fields.  Put both of them in another container to size them to available space in something else.
>
> Igor and Fernando reminded me of something I failed to mention about Dolphin: the layout manager of a container forces particular types for the managed subviews' #arrangement.  ProportionalLayout wants numbers; FramingLayout wants things very similar to what exists in Pharo.  Framing layout is very powerful, but nested proportionals can often to pretty much the same thing and often with far less anguish.
>
> Bill
>
>
> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Stéphane Ducasse [[hidden email]]
> Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2011 3:01 AM
>
> bill
>
> did you check the idea of igor about layout that acts as anchors?
>
> Stef
>
>
> On Jun 17, 2011, at 11:49 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> As my Pharo MVP framework grows, I am starting to miss Dolphin's layout managers.  The voodoo of automatically inserting splitters is, IMHO, time thrown after bad.  We should instead have easy-to-use widgets that do what one expects and then explicitly place them where they belong.
>>
>> Dolphin's proportional layouts can be set as horizontal or vertical, and one can add splitters to allow the proportions to be changed.  An aspect called #arrangement can be set to zero to make something fixed size or to any number which then becomes that much out of the sum of peer #arrangement values.
>>
>> My first priority is to get any type of layout that is reliable with deeply nested composites.  Not there yet :(
>>
>> Bill
>>
>>
>>
>> ________________________________________
>> From: [hidden email] [[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Sean P. DeNigris [[hidden email]]
>> Sent: Friday, June 17, 2011 4:00 PM
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: Re: [Pharo-project] OB column width resizing
>>
>> Lukas Renggli wrote:
>>>
>>> See
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/omnibrowser-dev/browse_thread/thread/395723875f109104
>>>
>>
>> Thx :(
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/OB-column-width-resizing-tp3606264p3606347.html
>> Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>>
>>
>
>
>