OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hi Lukas. I was taking a look to the OBDefinitionPanel >> aboutToChange:

because it sucks for me those popups.
First, it has a TWO cancel option, and an input (to type and subselect items from the menu) that has no sense for two only options.

So, I would like something simple. I want a popup with a label: "'Changes have not been saved."   and two simple buttons: "save" and "discard".
Not hirzontal selection lines, but buttons.

I take a look into the methods and hierrarchy of OBInteractionRequest but I didn't find how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any hints you can give me.

Cheers

Mariano

Screen shot 2010-07-18 at 2.49.15 PM.png (100K) Download Attachment

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Mariano Martinez Peck
I even think

 PluggableTextMorph >> promptForCancel
    "Ask if it is OK to cancel changes to text"
    (self confirm:
'Changes have not been saved.
Is it OK to cancel those changes?' translated)
        ifTrue: [model clearUserEditFlag].

is better ;)

On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
sorry, I attach picture.

On Sun, Jul 1orry8, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Lukas. I was taking a look to the OBDefinitionPanel >> aboutToChange:

because it sucks for me those popups.
First, it has a TWO cancel option, and an input (to type and subselect items from the menu) that has no sense for two only options.

So, I would like something simple. I want a popup with a label: "'Changes have not been saved."   and two simple buttons: "save" and "discard".
Not hirzontal selection lines, but buttons.

I take a look into the methods and hierrarchy of OBInteractionRequest but I didn't find how to do it.

Thanks in advance for any hints you can give me.

Cheers

Mariano

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Lukas Renggli
That's a bug in Polymorph. I don't know why it displays an input box
for simple selections?

Lukas

2010/7/18 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> I even think
>
>  PluggableTextMorph >> promptForCancel
>     "Ask if it is OK to cancel changes to text"
>     (self confirm:
> 'Changes have not been saved.
> Is it OK to cancel those changes?' translated)
>         ifTrue: [model clearUserEditFlag].
>

> is better ;)
>

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> sorry, I attach picture.
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 1orry8, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Lukas. I was taking a look to the OBDefinitionPanel >> aboutToChange:
>>>
>>> because it sucks for me those popups.
>>> First, it has a TWO cancel option, and an input (to type and subselect
>>> items from the menu) that has no sense for two only options.
>>>
>>> So, I would like something simple. I want a popup with a label: "'Changes
>>> have not been saved."   and two simple buttons: "save" and "discard".
>>> Not hirzontal selection lines, but buttons.
>>>
>>> I take a look into the methods and hierrarchy of OBInteractionRequest but
>>> I didn't find how to do it.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any hints you can give me.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Mariano

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Lukas Renggli
This input box comes from

     PSUIManager>>#chooseFrom:values:lines:title:

Older images do not show the text-input field.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Gary Chambers-4
Not a bug in Polymorph as such, just a misuse perhaps.

Choices are for lists, Squeak used to use this mechanism even for yes/not
style answers.

The better approach for this would be

UIManager default
 confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.\Would you like to save or discard
these changes?' translated withCRs
 trueChoice: 'Save' translated
 falseChoice: 'Discard' translated

Although this has slightly different semantics (but was what Mariano
suggested he wanted).
To retain the semantics it could look like this instead...

UIManager default
 confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.\Would you like to discard these
changes or cancel the navigation?' translated withCRs
 trueChoice: 'Save' translated
 falseChoice: 'Cancel' translated

Regards, Gary

That's a bug in Polymorph. I don't know why it displays an input box
for simple selections?

Lukas

2010/7/18 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> I even think
>
> PluggableTextMorph >> promptForCancel
> "Ask if it is OK to cancel changes to text"
> (self confirm:
> 'Changes have not been saved.
> Is it OK to cancel those changes?' translated)
> ifTrue: [model clearUserEditFlag].
>

> is better ;)
>

> On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> sorry, I attach picture.
>>
>> On Sun, Jul 1orry8, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Lukas. I was taking a look to the OBDefinitionPanel >> aboutToChange:
>>>
>>> because it sucks for me those popups.
>>> First, it has a TWO cancel option, and an input (to type and subselect
>>> items from the menu) that has no sense for two only options.
>>>
>>> So, I would like something simple. I want a popup with a label:
>>> "'Changes
>>> have not been saved." and two simple buttons: "save" and "discard".
>>> Not hirzontal selection lines, but buttons.
>>>
>>> I take a look into the methods and hierrarchy of OBInteractionRequest
>>> but
>>> I didn't find how to do it.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any hints you can give me.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Mariano

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Gary, this is much better.
For me this is perfect:

UIManager default
confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.' translated withCRs

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]>

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Lukas Renggli
How would a choice like

        'Remove it'
        'Remove, then browse senders'
        'Don''t remove, but show me those senders'
        'Forget it -- do nothing -- sorry I asked'

be displayed this? This filterable list certainly does not make sense.

Lukas

2010/7/19 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks Gary, this is much better.
> For me this is perfect:
>
> UIManager default
> confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.' translated withCRs
> trueChoice: 'Save' translated
> falseChoice: 'Discard' translated
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Not a bug in Polymorph as such, just a misuse perhaps.
>>
>> Choices are for lists, Squeak used to use this mechanism even for yes/not
>> style answers.
>>
>> The better approach for this would be
>>
>> UIManager default
>> confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.\Would you like to save or discard
>> these changes?' translated withCRs
>> trueChoice: 'Save' translated
>> falseChoice: 'Discard' translated
>>
>> Although this has slightly different semantics (but was what Mariano
>> suggested he wanted).
>> To retain the semantics it could look like this instead...
>>
>> UIManager default
>> confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.\Would you like to discard these
>> changes or cancel the navigation?' translated withCRs
>> trueChoice: 'Save' translated
>> falseChoice: 'Cancel' translated
>>
>> Regards, Gary
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]>

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:57 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
How would a choice like

       'Remove it'
       'Remove, then browse senders'
       'Don''t remove, but show me those senders'
       'Forget it -- do nothing -- sorry I asked'

be displayed this? This filterable list certainly does not make sense.

Hi Lukas. Maybe you misunterstood. I was talking ONLY about the discard changes windows.
Because it has a TWO cancel option, and an input (to type and subselect items from the menu) that has no sense for two only options.

Cheers

mariano

Lukas

2010/7/19 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> Thanks Gary, this is much better.
> For me this is perfect:
>
> UIManager default
> confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.' translated withCRs
> trueChoice: 'Save' translated
> falseChoice: 'Discard' translated
>
> Cheers
>
> Mariano
>
> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 12:20 PM, Gary Chambers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Not a bug in Polymorph as such, just a misuse perhaps.
>>
>> Choices are for lists, Squeak used to use this mechanism even for yes/not
>> style answers.
>>
>> The better approach for this would be
>>
>> UIManager default
>> confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.\Would you like to save or discard
>> these changes?' translated withCRs
>> trueChoice: 'Save' translated
>> falseChoice: 'Discard' translated
>>
>> Although this has slightly different semantics (but was what Mariano
>> suggested he wanted).
>> To retain the semantics it could look like this instead...
>>
>> UIManager default
>> confirm: 'Changes have not been saved.\Would you like to discard these
>> changes or cancel the navigation?' translated withCRs
>> trueChoice: 'Save' translated
>> falseChoice: 'Cancel' translated
>>
>> Regards, Gary
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Lukas Renggli" <[hidden email]>

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Lukas Renggli
I committed

  Name: OB-Morphic-lr.131
  Author: lr
  Time: 19 July 2010, 1:04:37 pm
  UUID: 3a193575-6b76-4f20-9b95-5b82201ce5a3
  Ancestors: OB-Morphic-lr.130

  - use #confirm:trueChoice:falseChoice: for true/false questions

that uses the suggested method for true/false questions. This is much
better indeed.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Mariano Martinez Peck
Thanks Lukas :)

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
I committed

 Name: OB-Morphic-lr.131
 Author: lr
 Time: 19 July 2010, 1:04:37 pm

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: OBConfirmationRequest without cancel and input

Stéphane Ducasse
cool!
I like the atmosphere of this list

Stef (looking for ZE bug ...)