OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

csrabak

In my attempt to install OBDependencyWalker in Pharo beta #10413, I discovered that it triggers DNUs because #theClass is no longer available in this image version.

I could not find easily the rationale for stripping the method.

Is this a known fact and OBDependencyWalker should be modified, or #theClass needs to be reinstated?

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/8/12 <[hidden email]>

In my attempt to install OBDependencyWalker in Pharo beta #10413, I discovered that it triggers DNUs because #theClass is no longer available in this image version.

I could not find easily the rationale for stripping the method.

Is this a known fact and OBDependencyWalker should be modified, or #theClass needs to be reinstated?

Hi have also opened a ticket a couple of days ago about a DNU theClass.

See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1059

Best,

Mariano

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

hernanmd
Hello there,
  I cannot reproduce the installation problem in #10413. To install DW
with the OmniBrowser support in a clean Pharo #10413 just doIt the
following:

ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha.
Installer ss project: 'DependencyWalker';
        install: 'DependencyWalker';
        install: 'OBDependencyWalker';
        install: 'DWTraitsFix'.

let me know if you find errors with that procedure.

Hernán

2009/8/12  <[hidden email]>:

> In my attempt to install OBDependencyWalker in Pharo beta #10413, I
> discovered that it triggers DNUs because #theClass is no longer available in
> this image version.
>
> I could not find easily the rationale for stripping the method.
>
> Is this a known fact and OBDependencyWalker should be modified, or #theClass
> needs to be reinstated?

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

Mariano and everybody
when you open a ticket please
        - make sure that we know if this is for the OB version of a tools or
not
        - send a clear mail to the list
Stef

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mariano and everybody
when you open a ticket please
       - make sure that we know if this is for the OB version of a tools or
not

Stef: con can I know this?

       - send a clear mail to the list

I already sent an email a week ago with that but ticket but no responses.

Stef

On Aug 13, 2009, at 3:11 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> 2009/8/12 <[hidden email]>
> In my attempt to install OBDependencyWalker in Pharo beta #10413, I
> discovered that it triggers DNUs because #theClass is no longer
> available in this image version.
>
> I could not find easily the rationale for stripping the method.
>
> Is this a known fact and OBDependencyWalker should be modified, or
> #theClass needs to be reinstated?
>

> Hi have also opened a ticket a couple of days ago about a DNU
> theClass.
>
> See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1059
>
> Best,
>
> Mariano

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
If you use an OB based browser.

Stef

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 12:36 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
If you use an OB based browser.

I am using the default system browser of the PharoBeta.  I attach this information in the ticket.

Stef

On Aug 13, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 7:30 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
> Mariano and everybody
> when you open a ticket please
>        - make sure that we know if this is for the OB version of a
> tools or
> not
>
> Stef: con can I know this?
>

>        - send a clear mail to the list
>
> I already sent an email a week ago with that but ticket but no
>

> Stef
>
> On Aug 13, 2009, at 3:11 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> > 2009/8/12 <[hidden email]>
> > In my attempt to install OBDependencyWalker in Pharo beta #10413, I
> > discovered that it triggers DNUs because #theClass is no longer
> > available in this image version.
> >
> > I could not find easily the rationale for stripping the method.
> >
> > Is this a known fact and OBDependencyWalker should be modified, or
> > #theClass needs to be reinstated?
> >

> > Hi have also opened a ticket a couple of days ago about a DNU
> > theClass.
> >
> > See http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1059
> >
> > Best,
> >
> > Mariano

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

csrabak

It is not an instalallation problem. It is an execution problem. . . Fire DW and select any class in left pane it will show a "Gathering..." dialog and then MNU: OBInheritanceDependencyNode doesn't understand theClass. . .

2009/8/12 :
> In my attempt to install OBDependencyWalker in Pharo beta #10413, I
> discovered that it triggers DNUs because #theClass is no longer available in
> this image version.
>
> I could not find easily the rationale for stripping the method.
>
> Is this a known fact and OBDependencyWalker should be modified, or #theClass
> needs to be reinstated?
> ;

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

hernanmd
Hi csrabak,
  Thanks for the feedback. I wonder how you've installed the DW?
Anyone else experimented this trouble?
That MNU is fine, the problem is that message should never be sent to
an OBInheritanceDependencyNode. Please note the two leftmost panes
(columns) in the DependencyBrowser contains system categories or
"packages", not classes.
So I've tried to reproduce your problem with the three OB
installations from Pharo:

ScriptLoader loadOB.
ScriptLoader loadSuperOB.
ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha.

selected every system category, gathering all dependencies in your
Pharo version, and still cannot find that MNU. Can you provide me
further details about it?

Are you using latest OmniBrowser?
Have you installed the DependencyBrowser with the script of my previous e-mail?
This is happening when you select a particular package?
Have you installed additional OB packages?

Cheers,

Hernán

Em 13/08/2009 21:34, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> escreveu:

> Hi csrabak,
> Thanks for the feedback. I wonder how you've installed the DW?

I followed http://cs.hernanmorales.com.ar/projects/dependencyBrowser/DBrowser-fr.php (Overture Pharo) tab (but I bet you _knew_ that ;-)!

Notice I installed on Pharo1.0beta image. . . and use only "default" settings. . .

> Anyone else experimented this trouble?

This is something I cannot answer :-(

> That MNU is fine, the problem is that message should never be sent to
> an OBInheritanceDependencyNode. Please note the two leftmost panes
> (columns) in the DependencyBrowser contains system categories or
> "packages", not classes.
> So I've tried to reproduce your problem with the three OB
> installations from Pharo:
>
> ScriptLoader loadOB.
> ScriptLoader loadSuperOB.
> ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha.
>
> selected every system category, gathering all dependencies in your
> Pharo version, and still cannot find that MNU. Can you provide me
> further details about it?
>
> Are you using latest OmniBrowser?
I do supose so as at the time I wrote the e-mail I had the image uptodate (#10413).

> Have you installed the DependencyBrowser with the script of my previous e-mail?

I ran the script of your page.

> This is happening when you select a particular package?

Any package will do, but to stick to a simple one I click in "OmniBrowser" and kaboom!

> Have you installed additional OB packages?

I lost the control of what is considered "aditional" wrt to OB. So I attach the browser of the image I'm testing it:

HTH

--
Cesar Rabak

OB-packages.PNG (104K) Download Attachment

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

hernanmd
Oh, that page was obsolete sorry about that, working with PHP pages is
so... fuckin horrible!
However that's not the issue here. I need to do a little research to
see why the Dependency Browser breaks with mysterious OB stuff? I will
update the repository as soon as I find the cause.
Thanks for reporting

Hernán

2009/8/13  <[hidden email]>:

> Em 13/08/2009 21:34, Hernán Morales Durand <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>
>> Hi csrabak,
>> Thanks for the feedback. I wonder how you've installed the DW?
>
> I followed http://cs.hernanmorales.com.ar/projects/dependencyBrowser/DBrowser-fr.php (Overture Pharo) tab (but I bet you _knew_ that ;-)!
>
> Notice I installed on Pharo1.0beta image. . . and use only "default" settings. . .
>
>> Anyone else experimented this trouble?
>
> This is something I cannot answer :-(
>
>> That MNU is fine, the problem is that message should never be sent to
>> an OBInheritanceDependencyNode. Please note the two leftmost panes
>> (columns) in the DependencyBrowser contains system categories or
>> "packages", not classes.
>> So I've tried to reproduce your problem with the three OB
>> installations from Pharo:
>>
>> ScriptLoader loadOB.
>> ScriptLoader loadSuperOB.
>> ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha.
>>
>> selected every system category, gathering all dependencies in your
>> Pharo version, and still cannot find that MNU. Can you provide me
>> further details about it?
>>
>> Are you using latest OmniBrowser?
>
> I do supose so as at the time I wrote the e-mail I had the image uptodate (#10413).
>
>> Have you installed the DependencyBrowser with the script of my previous e-mail?
>
> I ran the script of your page.
>
>> This is happening when you select a particular package?
>
> Any package will do, but to stick to a simple one I click in "OmniBrowser" and kaboom!
>
>> Have you installed additional OB packages?
>
> I lost the control of what is considered "aditional" wrt to OB. So I attach the browser of the image I'm testing it:
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
apparently there was a change in OB and it would be good to understand
because
we have some open issues that are related to that.

Stef

> Oh, that page was obsolete sorry about that, working with PHP pages is
> so... fuckin horrible!
> However that's not the issue here. I need to do a little research to
> see why the Dependency Browser breaks with mysterious OB stuff? I will
> update the repository as soon as I find the cause.
> Thanks for reporting
>
> Hernán
>
> 2009/8/13  <[hidden email]>:
>> Em 13/08/2009 21:34, Hernán Morales Durand
>> <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>>
>>> Hi csrabak,
>>> Thanks for the feedback. I wonder how you've installed the DW?
>>
>> I followed http://cs.hernanmorales.com.ar/projects/dependencyBrowser/DBrowser-fr.php
>>  (Overture Pharo) tab (but I bet you _knew_ that ;-)!
>>
>> Notice I installed on Pharo1.0beta image. . . and use only
>> "default" settings. . .
>>
>>> Anyone else experimented this trouble?
>>
>> This is something I cannot answer :-(
>>
>>> That MNU is fine, the problem is that message should never be sent
>>> an OBInheritanceDependencyNode. Please note the two leftmost panes
>>> (columns) in the DependencyBrowser contains system categories or
>>> "packages", not classes.
>>> So I've tried to reproduce your problem with the three OB
>>> installations from Pharo:
>>>
>>> ScriptLoader loadOB.
>>> ScriptLoader loadSuperOB.
>>> ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha.
>>>
>>> selected every system category, gathering all dependencies in your
>>> Pharo version, and still cannot find that MNU. Can you provide me
>>> further details about it?
>>>
>>> Are you using latest OmniBrowser?
>>
>> I do supose so as at the time I wrote the e-mail I had the image
>> uptodate (#10413).
>>
>>> Have you installed the DependencyBrowser with the script of my
>>> previous e-mail?
>>
>> I ran the script of your page.
>>
>>> This is happening when you select a particular package?
>>
>> Any package will do, but to stick to a simple one I click in
>> "OmniBrowser" and kaboom!
>>
>>> Have you installed additional OB packages?
>>
>> I lost the control of what is considered "aditional" wrt to OB. So
>> I attach the browser of the image I'm testing it:
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> --
>> Cesar Rabak

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

hernanmd
Ok, I found this could be related with an OB installation using this
script: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ImageBuildScripts
I've loaded "AST", "Refactoring", "OmniBrowser" and "Tools". Then
loaded the DependencyBrowser, selected a package and gotcha, the
#theClass MNU was raised.
However I wasn't able to debug it (please see the attachement), the
stack isn't displayed in the debugger and some operations (Out, Over,
etc) hang the image and I have interrupt with Alt+.
Cheers

Hernán

MessageNotUnderstood# OBPackageDependencyNode##theClass.png (35K) Download Attachment

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

csrabak

Yes I urge you to consider a Smalltalk based alternative :-D (having friends that like several alternatives I'll note mention any in particular [but see: one them run in Pharo ;-) ])

OK, I'll wait patiently as a Tibetan monk :-)

Regards,

2009/8/13 :

> Em 13/08/2009 21:34, Hernán Morales Durand escreveu:
>
>> Hi csrabak,
>> Thanks for the feedback. I wonder how you've installed the DW?
>
> I followed http://cs.hernanmorales.com.ar/projects/dependencyBrowser/DBrowser-fr.php (Overture Pharo) tab (but I bet you _knew_ that ;-)!
>
> Notice I installed on Pharo1.0beta image. . . and use only "default" settings. . .
>
>> Anyone else experimented this trouble?
>< br />> This is something I cannot answer :-(
>
>> That MNU is fine, the problem is that message should never be sent to
>> an OBInheritanceDependencyNode. Please note the two leftmost panes
>> (columns) in the DependencyBrowser contains system categories or
>> "packages", not classes.
>> So I've tried to reproduce your problem with the three OB
>> installations from Pharo:
>>
>> ScriptLoader loadOB.
>> ScriptLoader loadSuperOB.
>> ScriptLoader loadOBAlpha.
>>
>> selected every system category, gathering all dependencies in your
>> Pharo version, and still cannot find that MNU. Can you provide me
>> further details about it?
>>
>> Are you using latest OmniBrowser?
>
> I do supose so as at the time I wrote the e-mail I had the image uptodate (#10413).
>
>> Ha ve you installed the DependencyBrowser with the script of my previous e-mail?
>
> I ran the script of your page.
>
>> This is happening when you select a particular package?
>
> Any package will do, but to stick to a simple one I click in "OmniBrowser" and kaboom!
>
>> Have you installed additional OB packages?
>
> I lost the control of what is considered "aditional" wrt to OB. So I attach the browser of the image I'm testing it:
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

csrabak

Hernán,

I also don't have the expertise to debug it, but could you get more info if you put a #theClass method in OBClassSort with a sefl halt on it?

It will avoid the sending of messages upstream in the "food chain"...

2009/8/14 Stéphane Ducasse :

> apparently there was a change in OB and it would be good to understand
> because
> we have some open issues that are related to that.
>
> Stef
>

>> Oh, that page was obsolete sorry about that, working with PHP pages is
>&g t; so... fuckin horrible!
>> However that's not the issue here. I need to do a little research to
>> see why the Dependency Browser breaks with mysterious OB stuff? I will
>> update the repository as soon as I find the cause.
>> Thanks for reporting
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> 2009/8/13  :

>>> I followed http://cs.hernanmorales.com.ar/projects/dependencyBrowser/DBrowser-fr.php
>>>  (Overture Pharo) tab (but I bet you _knew_ that ;-)!
>>>
>>> Notice I installed on Pharo1.0beta image. . . and use only
>>> "default" settings. . .

>>> This is something I cannot answer :-(

>>> I do supose so as at the time I wrote the e-mail I had the image
>>> uptodate (#10413).

>>> I ran the script of your page.

>>> Any package will do, but to stick to a simple one I click in
>>> "OmniBrowser" and kaboom!

>>> I lost the control of what is considered "aditional" wrt to OB. So
>>> I attach the browser of the image I'm testing it:
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cesar Rabak

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

hernanmd
Hi Cesar,
  Please update to the latest version of the DependencyBrowser. I was
using a ClassSortFilter for filtering packages (which is wrong), and
there are two different implementations of this message from David and
Lukas:

OBClassSortFilter>>nodesFrom:forNode:

The one from David was preventing to send #theClass

        classNodes := nodes select: [ :ea | ea respondsTo: #theClass ].

but I don't know which one is the right one, the implementation from
Lukas is newer and usually his releases works pretty fine. Recently
Colin posted another OB version, I hope the work done in OB gets a
better coordination, it would be such a sad thing to have good
incompatible versions of the framework.
Cheers,

Hernán

2009/8/14  <[hidden email]>:

> Hernán,
>
> I also don't have the expertise to debug it, but could you get more info if
> you put a #theClass method in OBClassSort with a sefl halt on it?
>
> It will avoid the sending of messages upstream in the "food chain"...
>
> Em 14/08/2009 09:05, Hernán Morales Durand < [hidden email] >
> escreveu:
>
> Ok, I found this could be related with an OB installation using this
> script: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ImageBuildScripts
> I've loaded "AST", "Refactoring", "OmniBrowser" and "Tools". Then
> loaded the DependencyBrowser, selected a package and gotcha, the
> #theClass MNU was raised.
> However I wasn't able to debug it (please see the attachement), the
> stack isn't displayed in the debugger and some operations (Out, Over,
> etc) hang the image and I have interrupt with Alt+.
> Cheers
>
> Hernán
>
> 2009/8/14 Stéphane Ducasse :
>> apparently there was a change in OB and it would be good to understand
>> because
>> we have some open issues that are related to that.
>>
>> Stef
>>

>>> Oh, that page was obsolete sorry about that, working with PHP pages is
>>&g t; so... fuckin horrible!
>>> However that's not the issue here. I need to do a little research to
>>> see why the Dependency Browser breaks with mysterious OB stuff? I will
>>> update the repository as soon as I find the cause.
>>> Thanks for reporting
>>>
>>> Hernán

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

Stéphane Ducasse
I imagine that david did that because he could not touch the code.
I hope that with the new OB release things will get clarified and
better.

Stef

On Aug 15, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Cesar,
>  Please update to the latest version of the DependencyBrowser. I was
> using a ClassSortFilter for filtering packages (which is wrong), and
> there are two different implementations of this message from David and
> Lukas:
>
> OBClassSortFilter>>nodesFrom:forNode:
>
> The one from David was preventing to send #theClass
>
> classNodes := nodes select: [ :ea | ea respondsTo: #theClass ].
>
> but I don't know which one is the right one, the implementation from
> Lukas is newer and usually his releases works pretty fine. Recently
> Colin posted another OB version, I hope the work done in OB gets a
> better coordination, it would be such a sad thing to have good
> incompatible versions of the framework.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2009/8/14  <[hidden email]>:
>> Hernán,
>>
>> I also don't have the expertise to debug it, but could you get more
>> info if
>> you put a #theClass method in OBClassSort with a sefl halt on it?
>>
>> It will avoid the sending of messages upstream in the "food chain"...
>>
>> Em 14/08/2009 09:05, Hernán Morales Durand <
>> [hidden email] >
>> escreveu:
>>
>> Ok, I found this could be related with an OB installation using this
>> script: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ImageBuildScripts
>> I've loaded "AST", "Refactoring", "OmniBrowser" and "Tools". Then
>> loaded the DependencyBrowser, selected a package and gotcha, the
>> #theClass MNU was raised.
>> However I wasn't able to debug it (please see the attachement), the
>> stack isn't displayed in the debugger and some operations (Out, Over,
>> etc) hang the image and I have interrupt with Alt+.
>> Cheers
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> 2009/8/14 Stéphane Ducasse :
>>> apparently there was a change in OB and it would be good to
>>> understand
>>> because
>>> we have some open issues that are related to that.
>>>
>>> Stef

>>> &g t; so... fuckin horrible!

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

Mariano Martinez Peck
Hernán: I would like to use this tools to detect dependencies between packages and with that write the metacello configurations for Pharo.

Do you know how can I manage to install it in the latests 1.0 dev image?

thanks

mariano

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 10:04 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
I imagine that david did that because he could not touch the code.
I hope that with the new OB release things will get clarified and
better.

Stef

On Aug 15, 2009, at 3:11 PM, Hernán Morales Durand wrote:

> Hi Cesar,
>  Please update to the latest version of the DependencyBrowser. I was
> using a ClassSortFilter for filtering packages (which is wrong), and
> there are two different implementations of this message from David and
> Lukas:
>
> OBClassSortFilter>>nodesFrom:forNode:
>
> The one from David was preventing to send #theClass
>
>       classNodes := nodes select: [ :ea | ea respondsTo: #theClass ].
>
> but I don't know which one is the right one, the implementation from
> Lukas is newer and usually his releases works pretty fine. Recently
> Colin posted another OB version, I hope the work done in OB gets a
> better coordination, it would be such a sad thing to have good
> incompatible versions of the framework.
> Cheers,
>
> Hernán
>
> 2009/8/14  <[hidden email]>:
>> Hernán,
>>
>> I also don't have the expertise to debug it, but could you get more
>> info if
>> you put a #theClass method in OBClassSort with a sefl halt on it?
>>
>> It will avoid the sending of messages upstream in the "food chain"...
>>
>> Em 14/08/2009 09:05, Hernán Morales Durand <
>> [hidden email] >
>> escreveu:
>>
>> Ok, I found this could be related with an OB installation using this
>> script: http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ImageBuildScripts
>> I've loaded "AST", "Refactoring", "OmniBrowser" and "Tools". Then
>> loaded the DependencyBrowser, selected a package and gotcha, the
>> #theClass MNU was raised.
>> However I wasn't able to debug it (please see the attachement), the
>> stack isn't displayed in the debugger and some operations (Out, Over,
>> etc) hang the image and I have interrupt with Alt+.
>> Cheers
>>
>> Hernán
>>
>> 2009/8/14 Stéphane Ducasse :
>>> apparently there was a change in OB and it would be good to
>>> understand
>>> because
>>> we have some open issues that are related to that.
>>>
>>> Stef

>>> &g t; so... fuckin horrible!

Re: OBDependencyWalker for Pharo

hernanmd
Hi Mariano,
  To install the Dependency Browser in the 1.0 dev image, please evaluate:

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'DependencyWalker';
        package: 'DependencyWalker';
        package: 'OBDependencyWalker';
        package: 'DWTraitsFix';
        load;
        recompile.

and then open from the world menu, Tools -> More -> Dependency Browser

Cheers,

Hernán