OBject databases

dario trussardi
Hello Mark,

i'have your same problem abaut database technology as in your e-mail.

Do you have resolved the question ?

Can you help me with indication about it ?

Regards,
Dario Trussardi Romano

Re: OBject databases

Mark Pirogovsky-3
Dario,

I think currently the number of options are kind of limited:

1. To use OMniBase - only few hundreds $$ for the development license,
seem robust enough, and runs on few different versions of Smalltalk e.g.
Dolphin, VW and maybe Squik.
2. In the past it was OODB called Tensegrity which would also fit my
requirements, but it is not supported or developed anymore.

Which leaves us with the OmniBase as only one reasonable choice.

RFC: I could be missing something else, so let the group correct me on this.

--Mark

P.S.  your e-mail came with the date of 03/08/2005 - it is 2006 already
:-)

> Hello Mark,
>
> i'have your same problem abaut database technology as in your e-mail.
>
> Do you have resolved the question ?
>
> Can you help me with indication about it ?
>
> Regards,
> Dario Trussardi Romano
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Pirogovsky"
> <[hidden email]>

Re: OBject databases

cdavidshaffer
Mark Pirogovsky wrote:

> Dario,
>
> I think currently the number of options are kind of limited:
>
> 1. To use OMniBase - only few hundreds $$ for the development license,
> seem robust enough, and runs on few different versions of Smalltalk
> e.g. Dolphin, VW and maybe Squik.
> 2. In the past it was OODB called Tensegrity which would also fit my
> requirements, but it is not supported or developed anymore.
>
> Which leaves us with the OmniBase as only one reasonable choice.
>
> RFC: I could be missing something else, so let the group correct me on
> this.
>
> --Mark
>
> P.S.  your e-mail came with the date of 03/08/2005 - it is 2006
> already :-)

Omnibase is now free for commercial and non-commercial use.  See
http://www.gorisek.com/ for details.  It has the advantage of being
cross-OS-platform as well as cross-Smalltalk-dialect.  It is a bit
invasive in terms of your coding though.

The Squeak GOODS client would be easy to port to VW...I'd be happy to
write the port if someone is willing to give it a real test.  The GOODS
db server doesn't quite fit Dario's model but you could ship it with
your product and use Smalltalk to start it up and shut it down.  It
isn't quite as lightweight as what Dario is asking for but it is small
and fast and easy to configure.  Your users wouldn't even need to know
about it (assuming you have pre-built binaries for their platforms).

If you want really lightweight then just use BOSS (in the base image?)
or SIXX (in the goodies) or a prevayler-type architecture (save your
image periodically and log "commands" between saves).  These could be
combined to good effect as well.  None give you an in-image transaction
model though, so they are mostly single-user solutions (without a lot of
work, that is).

There aren't as many options as I'd like but you can probably find one
that meets particular sets of needs.

David

AW: OBject databases

Nowak, Helge
Dear Dario,

there used to be MinneStore: http://minnestore.sourceforge.net/

but it obviously needs updating to the latest VisualWorks technology and feature completion if you want to use it in a multi-user fashion.

HTH
Helge

I think currently the number of options are kind of limited:

1. To use OMniBase - only few hundreds $$ for the development license,
seem robust enough, and runs on few different versions of Smalltalk e.g.
Dolphin, VW and maybe Squik.
2. In the past it was OODB called Tensegrity which would also fit my
requirements, but it is not supported or developed anymore.

Which leaves us with the OmniBase as only one reasonable choice.

RFC: I could be missing something else, so let the group correct me on this.

--Mark

P.S.  your e-mail came with the date of 03/08/2005 - it is 2006 already
:-)

> Hello Mark,
>
> i'have your same problem abaut database technology as in your e-mail.
>
> Do you have resolved the question ?
>
> Can you help me with indication about it ?
>
> Regards,
> Dario Trussardi Romano
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Pirogovsky"
> <[hidden email]>

Re[2]: OBject databases

Michael Lucas-Smith

> Dario,

> I think currently the number of options are kind of limited:

> 1. To use OMniBase - only few hundreds $$ for the development license,
> seem robust enough, and runs on few different versions of Smalltalk e.g.
> Dolphin, VW and maybe Squik.

Omnibase is free now.

Cheers,
Michael

RE: OBject databases

Stew MacLean
Hi Dario,

I have used BOSS very successfully to address these issues. I started
out using it as a quick way to make objects persistent, and to avoid
using ODBC to cross the relational chasm. I thought I would then use a
3rd party OODB (Ominbase and GOODS were likely candidates) to address
the multi user issue later.

Rather than BOSS the whole domain out, I've partitioned my domain
objects into clusters and stored them separately (so I get a speedy
start up, - I dynamically load the clusters as required). You also have
to be careful to isolate the cluster (I use a deep copy mechanism)
before dumping.

I've also developed a file based coarse grained locking mechanism to
cater for the multi user issue, although I don't know how scalable this
is.

As your requirements are single user, I would definitely give the BOSS
ago.

It also meets your other requirements of "inexpensive and without any
runtime fees". Just load the Parcel!

HTH,

Cheers,

Stewart

PS If anyone knows the development history of BOSS, I'm intrigued to
know.