OComplection

Camillo Bruni-3
the more time I spend with OCompletion the more I think it's the wrong model:

NECompletion provides in many cases way better / quicker results

NOCompletion does tons of magic to increase the chances of a correct hit,
neglecting
- self sends
- super sends
- ClassSends

which is basically the main source for getting nice input...

I think NOCompletion should be removed. The only thing that might maintain
is a Database which will give back a date for a given selector so we can
sort them accordingly. But IMO that can be solved muuuuch easier.

Things against NOCompletion:
- not documentation whatsoever (no class comments no comments no categories... nada)
- totally breaks type completion (self sends usw...)
- duplication of NECompletion...

Since I don't see anybody maintaining this dead body we should remove it
from the system!

Re: OComplection

Stéphane Ducasse

> the more time I spend with OCompletion the more I think it's the wrong model:
>
> NECompletion provides in many cases way better / quicker results
>
> NOCompletion does tons of magic to increase the chances of a correct hit,
> neglecting
> - self sends
> - super sends
> - ClassSends
>
> which is basically the main source for getting nice input...
>
> I think NOCompletion should be removed. The only thing that might maintain
> is a Database which will give back a date for a given selector so we can
> sort them accordingly. But IMO that can be solved muuuuch easier.
>

> Things against NOCompletion:
> - not documentation whatsoever (no class comments no comments no categories... nada)
> - totally breaks type completion (self sends usw...)
> - duplication of NECompletion...
>
> Since I don't see anybody maintaining this dead body we should remove it
> from the system!

Why not but do we get the most recently typed because this is cool to have

Re: OComplection

EstebanLM
OCompletion works fine for me. And is much more valuable for me than EC... yes we can (and need) improve it, but I don't want to drop OC.
Is the same case of nautilus many-methods and tabs. Just because you don't find the function valuable, that does not means that it is not worthy for anybody :)

Esteban

On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:15 AM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> the more time I spend with OCompletion the more I think it's the wrong model:
>
> NECompletion provides in many cases way better / quicker results
>
> NOCompletion does tons of magic to increase the chances of a correct hit,
> neglecting
> - self sends
> - super sends
> - ClassSends
>
> which is basically the main source for getting nice input...
>
> I think NOCompletion should be removed. The only thing that might maintain
> is a Database which will give back a date for a given selector so we can
> sort them accordingly. But IMO that can be solved muuuuch easier.
>

> Things against NOCompletion:
> - not documentation whatsoever (no class comments no comments no categories... nada)
> - totally breaks type completion (self sends usw...)
> - duplication of NECompletion...
>
> Since I don't see anybody maintaining this dead body we should remove it
> from the system!

Re: OComplection

Camillo Bruni-3
Maybe I don't really see when it gets useful...
Can you give me an example where you rely on the history information of OCompletion?

On 2012-08-06, at 12:34, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> OCompletion works fine for me. And is much more valuable for me than EC... yes we can (and need) improve it, but I don't want to drop OC.
> Is the same case of nautilus many-methods and tabs. Just because you don't find the function valuable, that does not means that it is not worthy for anybody :)
>
> Esteban
>
> On Aug 6, 2012, at 12:15 AM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> the more time I spend with OCompletion the more I think it's the wrong model:
>>
>> NECompletion provides in many cases way better / quicker results
>>
>> NOCompletion does tons of magic to increase the chances of a correct hit,
>> neglecting
>> - self sends
>> - super sends
>> - ClassSends
>>
>> which is basically the main source for getting nice input...
>>
>> I think NOCompletion should be removed. The only thing that might maintain
>> is a Database which will give back a date for a given selector so we can
>> sort them accordingly. But IMO that can be solved muuuuch easier.
>>

>> Things against NOCompletion:
>> - not documentation whatsoever (no class comments no comments no categories... nada)
>> - totally breaks type completion (self sends usw...)
>> - duplication of NECompletion...
>>
>> Since I don't see anybody maintaining this dead body we should remove it
>> from the system!

Re: OComplection

EstebanLM
well... I cannot. But for me, most of the time OCompletion suggestions are accurate (because I tend to use always the same methods, probably).
btw, I'm not saying that OCompletion is perfect, I think it can be improved a lot... but I like it (what you did is already better, but it can be improved more)