OCompletion slow

Miguel Cobá
I have been using the new ConfigurationOfPharo to build my own dev
images.
This install OCompletion and so far has been wonderful.
I have installed

OCompletion-RomainRobbes.52

and have been working full time for two weeks. But today the completion
is so slow. To the extreme of not being able to work seamlessly. I type
a character and the machine slows down, the images stops responding
sometimes for 10 seconds. I considered disable it but that isn't a
solution, as I really like it. The problem is that is very slow now. It
wasn't slow the previous weeks.

I tried:

OCompletionTable default reset.
Save and quit the image.
Nothing.

Then
OCompletionTable default reset.
OCompletionTable initialize.
And in the FillTheBlank I put:
Kernel* Collection* MyPackage

And after that I have 251 entries in the table.
Then save and quit.
Nothing.

I trigger a garbage collector and nothing.

When I do an Alt+. in the slow down I get a debug window on:

SystemDictionary(Set)>>do:

and SystemDictionary(Dictionary)>>hasBindingsThatBeginsWith:

where SystemDictionary tally is 3561 so I think that is searching the
full images symbols for some match and that is slowing things down.

Any ideas? I know that this isn't verifiable but the slow down is very
real.

Further research:

The method I am editing is a very long one that copied from other
similar and I am changing the relevant parts. So there are a few
undeclared temp variables that I have not changed. Because of this I
haven't saved the new method. Maybe that is slowing the completion.

Lets try other small method for completion.... yes, is fast in small
method.

Lets try on a big but saved method...YES, is fast too.

So it appears that OCompletion slows down when you are editing a big
unsaved with a lot of undeclared temp variable names in it.

Let me fix the undeclared temp variables and save the failing method
just to verify....yes yes yes, that was.

Well, thanks for listening, you know, when you talk about your problem
with someone else, you sometimes find the elusive answer.

Thanks dear Pharo listeners!

Cheers

--
Miguel Cobá
http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Re: OCompletion slow

Marcus Denker-4
Hi Miguel,

The same thing happens with error messages (which are intrpreted the same as undeclared temps, I guess),
see

I will add you email to this report.

        Marcus

On Feb 20, 2010, at 4:49 PM, Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> I have been using the new ConfigurationOfPharo to build my own dev
> images.
> This install OCompletion and so far has been wonderful.
> I have installed
>
> OCompletion-RomainRobbes.52
>
> and have been working full time for two weeks. But today the completion
> is so slow. To the extreme of not being able to work seamlessly. I type
> a character and the machine slows down, the images stops responding
> sometimes for 10 seconds. I considered disable it but that isn't a
> solution, as I really like it. The problem is that is very slow now. It
> wasn't slow the previous weeks.
>
> I tried:
>
> OCompletionTable default reset.
> Save and quit the image.
> Nothing.
>
> Then
> OCompletionTable default reset.
> OCompletionTable initialize.
> And in the FillTheBlank I put:
> Kernel* Collection* MyPackage
>
> And after that I have 251 entries in the table.
> Then save and quit.
> Nothing.
>
> I trigger a garbage collector and nothing.
>
> When I do an Alt+. in the slow down I get a debug window on:
>
> SystemDictionary(Set)>>do:
>
> and SystemDictionary(Dictionary)>>hasBindingsThatBeginsWith:
>
> where SystemDictionary tally is 3561 so I think that is searching the
> full images symbols for some match and that is slowing things down.
>
> Any ideas? I know that this isn't verifiable but the slow down is very
> real.
>
> Further research:
>
> The method I am editing is a very long one that copied from other
> similar and I am changing the relevant parts. So there are a few
> undeclared temp variables that I have not changed. Because of this I
> haven't saved the new method. Maybe that is slowing the completion.
>
> Lets try other small method for completion.... yes, is fast in small
> method.
>
> Lets try on a big but saved method...YES, is fast too.
>
> So it appears that OCompletion slows down when you are editing a big
> unsaved with a lot of undeclared temp variable names in it.
>
> Let me fix the undeclared temp variables and save the failing method
> just to verify....yes yes yes, that was.
>
> Well, thanks for listening, you know, when you talk about your problem
> with someone else, you sometimes find the elusive answer.
>
> Thanks dear Pharo listeners!
>
> Cheers
>

> --
> Miguel Cobá
> http://miguel.leugim.com.mx

Marcus Denker  -- http://www.marcusdenker.de
INRIA Lille -- Nord Europe. Team RMoD.

Re: OCompletion slow

Miguel Cobá
El sáb, 20-02-2010 a las 20:30 +0100, Marcus Denker escribió:

> Hi Miguel,
>
> The same thing happens with error messages (which are intrpreted the same as undeclared temps, I guess),
> see

> I will add you email to this report.
>
> Marcus

Ah, yes, that precisely the symptoms I'm experiencing. I never search
the opened issues.

Thanks

--
Miguel Cobá