ODBCWarning

Schwab,Wilhelm K
The porting continues...  It is getting closer to doing something.  It just raised an ODBCWarning about the server changing the language to us_english.  Any ideas?  Either I do not care or should set it up front??

One thing really surprised me, and note that I might have brought this on myself (though I think that is unlikely) by messing with startup and shutdown: the ODBCLibrary was stubbornly clinging to the Linux library from my home machine.  I finally used

    ODBCLibrary default initialize.

which seemed to put an end to the separation anxiety.  Is there a better fix?  I suppose I should try this in a clean image to see if there is really a problem therein, but that will be a little hard to do without a lot of my code, almost any of which either depends on changes I have made or could have caused the problem.

Maybe I should ask whether some of you use ODBC on Windows and Linux and have no problems moving between the machines.

Bill

Re: ODBCWarning

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I think I have the catalog (tables and field name/type given a table name) working.  The latest ODBC offering appears to work, but in fairness to me, it does not work the same way it did (some time ago) when I crossed database access off of my potential-show-stopper list.

Re the warnings about change of language, for some strange reason, I find it very easy to believe that this is a Microsoft idiosyncrasy and so I added a suitable #on:do: to capture the warning.  That could be bad though; better ideas are welcome.

The problem I had going from Linux to Windows will probably persist.  Of course, I would like to see the startup/shutdown system revised to make such things easier to get right, after which it would hopefully become short work to fix.

The ODBC package derives ODBCRow from IdentityDictionary and ODBCResultSet from Stream.  IMHO, it always seems cleaner to compose rather than inherit the limited functionality that the base class provides.  However, the inheritance is not really hurting anything here; socket addresses being inherited from byte arrays *is* hurting us.  I brushed up against that at one point, but was able to work around it.  When it gets between me and something I need, I will introduce an InternetAddress class and try to lazily resolve names and addresses, fix the printing, etc.

Bill

Re: ODBCWarning

Esteban A. Maringolo
Bill,

I celebrate your work of bringing the dolphin near the pharo ;-)

Thanks for your collaboration,

Esteban A. Maringolo

2009/9/2 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>

> Hello all,
>
> I think I have the catalog (tables and field name/type given a table name) working.  The latest ODBC offering appears to work, but in fairness to me, it does not work the same way it did (some time ago) when I crossed database access off of my potential-show-stopper list.
>
> Re the warnings about change of language, for some strange reason, I find it very easy to believe that this is a Microsoft idiosyncrasy and so I added a suitable #on:do: to capture the warning.  That could be bad though; better ideas are welcome.
>
> The problem I had going from Linux to Windows will probably persist.  Of course, I would like to see the startup/shutdown system revised to make such things easier to get right, after which it would hopefully become short work to fix.
>
> The ODBC package derives ODBCRow from IdentityDictionary and ODBCResultSet from Stream.  IMHO, it always seems cleaner to compose rather than inherit the limited functionality that the base class provides.  However, the inheritance is not really hurting anything here; socket addresses being inherited from byte arrays *is* hurting us.  I brushed up against that at one point, but was able to work around it.  When it gets between me and something I need, I will introduce an InternetAddress class and try to lazily resolve names and addresses, fix the printing, etc.
>
> Bill

Re: ODBCWarning

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Esteban,

Of course the real goal is to bring the dolphin to the penguin with the pharo's help :)  Thanks to all for making it an attainable goal.  A good next step would be to package the catalog functions for others to use.  The code currently lives in an ODBC sub-package (or whatever the correct term is) of my DolphinCompatibility package, some of which is very preliminary at present.

One concern I have is checking code for comments that should not be made public due to non-disclosure agreements.  It would be nice if there were a way to create syntax-highlighted HTML from a PackageInfo instance.  Any ideas?

Failing that, is there a way to get Monticello to save only part of a package?  For example, it would be a lot easier for me to screen DolphinCompatibility-ODBC than all of DolphinCompatibility.  Are there tools to save only that part of it?

Bill

I celebrate your work of bringing the dolphin near the pharo ;-)

Thanks for your collaboration,

Esteban A. Maringolo

2009/9/2 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>

> Hello all,
>
> I think I have the catalog (tables and field name/type given a table name) working.  The latest ODBC offering appears to work, but in fairness to me, it does not work the same way it did (some time ago) when I crossed database access off of my potential-show-stopper list.
>
> Re the warnings about change of language, for some strange reason, I find it very easy to believe that this is a Microsoft idiosyncrasy and so I added a suitable #on:do: to capture the warning.  That could be bad though; better ideas are welcome.
>
> The problem I had going from Linux to Windows will probably persist.  Of course, I would like to see the startup/shutdown system revised to make such things easier to get right, after which it would hopefully become short work to fix.
>
> The ODBC package derives ODBCRow from IdentityDictionary and ODBCResultSet from Stream.  IMHO, it always seems cleaner to compose rather than inherit the limited functionality that the base class provides.  However, the inheritance is not really hurting anything here; socket addresses being inherited from byte arrays *is* hurting us.  I brushed up against that at one point, but was able to work around it.  When it gets between me and something I need, I will introduce an InternetAddress class and try to lazily resolve names and addresses, fix the printing, etc.
>
> Bill

Re: ODBCWarning

Brian Brown-6

On Sep 2, 2009, at 9:12 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

Failing that, is there a way to get Monticello to save only part of a package?  For example, it would be a lot easier for me to screen DolphinCompatibility-ODBC than all of DolphinCompatibility.  Are there tools to save only that part of it?

Bill

I believe if you create a new package in the Monticello browser named DolphinCompatibility-ODBC and save it, you will get what you want. It's always easy to save sub packages using the more specfic category.

- Brian

Re: ODBCWarning

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Brian,

I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but it did not quite do the right thing.  It caught the extension methods, but there are a few required classes that are still in the ODBC branch of the Dolphincompatibility package.  Does that sound familiar and fixable?

Bill

Re: ODBCWarning

Benoit St-Jean
Cool!

If that's of any help, I volunteer to test your stuff on Windows XP (SP3) for both clients & RDBMS.  At the moment, I can test for MySQL, InterBase, SQL Server 2000.  But if you need it, I could take some time and set up a DB2 server and an Oracle server for the same platform.

Cool!  Very very cool!

Question : I know it's usually not recommended to test stuff that requires external output (such as setting up user, password, DSN, etc) but I think we should design a very simple database, on all those RDBMS and use SUnit to automate testing.  What do you guys think ?

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: ODBCWarning

csrabak
Em 03/09/2009 09:56, Benoit St-Jean < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> Cool!
>  If that's of any help, I volunteer to test your stuff on Windows XP
> (SP3)  for both  clients &  RDBMS.  At  the moment,  I can  test for
> MySQL, InterBase, SQL Server 2000.  But if you need it, I could take
> some time and set up a DB2  server and an Oracle server for the same
> platform.
>   Cool!  Very very cool!
>  Question : I  know it's usually not recommended  to test stuff that
> requires external  output (such as  setting up user,  password, DSN,
> etc) but  I think we  should design a  very simple database,  on all
> those RDBMS  and use  SUnit to automate  testing.  What do  you guys
> think ?

I think this is a case where this 'rule' needs to be broken if we
intend to ascertain the full functionality of these package.

The only proviso I would put forward is that the Unit Tests be
packaged individually for each RDBMS so interested developers could
download the one(s) [s]he intends to develop for without having to
worry about the ones there will be no interest.

Probably we'll need to add more than just Smalltalk file outs to these
SUnit packages. . .

My 0.019999...

Re: MC Packages and namespaces (renamed: ODBCWarning)

Brian Brown-6

On Sep 2, 2009, at 10:51 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

Brian,

I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but it did not quite do the right thing.  It caught the extension methods, but there are a few required classes that are still in the ODBC branch of the Dolphincompatibility package.  Does that sound familiar and fixable?

Bill

Others can chime in here, but If I have the following:

MyPackage-Core
MyPackage-UI
MyPackage-Web

and I create a new MC Package called MyPackage and save it, it will get all three PackageInfo categories. If, however, I create a new MC Package called MyPackage-Core, then the MC file should only contain the classes in the MyPackage-Core PackageInfo category.

IIRC, I've done this many times..... If it's not working, either I'm daft, or something is broken.

Thoughts?

- Brian

Re: ODBCWarning

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/9/3 Benoit St-Jean <[hidden email]>
Cool!

If that's of any help, I volunteer to test your stuff on Windows XP (SP3) for both clients & RDBMS.  At the moment, I can test for MySQL, InterBase, SQL Server 2000.  But if you need it, I could take some time and set up a DB2 server and an Oracle server for the same platform.

That's why I love the community :)

Cool!  Very very cool!

Question : I know it's usually not recommended to test stuff that requires external output (such as setting up user, password, DSN, etc) but I think we should design a very simple database, on all those RDBMS and use SUnit to automate testing.  What do you guys think ?

I do that. I have 3 or 4 tables and all of the tests use those tables. They are created and drop in every test so that not to have a side affect in other tests.

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
Blog: lamneth.wordpress.com
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: ODBCWarning

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Also, some tests of this type would have saved me some time.  First I was looking for a problem in my code, and it took a bit too long for me to question whether the ODBC package still worked.  It does, but just differently than when I originally tested it.  Tests would have not made that very obvious, both by verifying functionality and serving as coding examples.

Bill

ODBC

Carlos Crosetti-4
How is the ODBC port to Pharo going on?

[...]

Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
11:07 a.m.

Re: ODBC

Mariano Martinez Peck
I would also like to know the difference (advantages and disadvatages) of Bill's driver and the one of Diego Gomez Deck which is:

http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/2480
http://www.squeaksource.com/ODBC.html

Best,

Mariano

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM, Carlos Crosetti <[hidden email]> wrote:
How is the ODBC port to Pharo going on?

Re: ODBC

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Hello all,

I had no idea I left such an inaccurate impression, but on re-reading what I wrote, it could be taken as though I sought to compete with Diego - sorry about that all around.  Let's try this again:

I found Diego's work lacking the ability to query table names and field names/types, wrote code to those things, and plan to make it available.  Think of it as being an addition to Diego's package; the two can be merged.  One thing I do not like about Squeak/Pharo in general is the whacked up way it mixes snapshots with startup and shutdown.  If I were to spin off of a new ODBC package, it would be to fix that.

The porting to which I referred is code that runs on top of OBBC, sockets, etc.  That goes fairly well, and will spin off some collective benefits with time.  As I said some time back, the best thing I can do to help with Pharo is to get myself hooked on it, at which point I will begin writing tools that would be of general interest.

It would help a lot to have a good way to export syntax colored code (HTML??) from MC packages.  My concern is that I might have comments that need to be removed for release.  I live under a few non-disclosure agreements, and it would be bad to have a stray comment violate one of them.  I am pretty careful about that now, but every so often find something that would have been more wisely placed outside of my code.

The worst news I have is that when I tried to move code into the October web image, the image refused to open an ODBC connection.  In fact, the vm just crashed w/o writing diagnostic info to a file.  I retreated to my current (July) image, and have been distracted with lots of progress on some complex fronts; however, I do need to get back to trying to identify the source of the crash.

Bill

2009/10/13 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>
Hello all,

I had no idea I left such an inaccurate impression, but on re-reading what I wrote, it could be taken as though I sought to compete with Diego - sorry about that all around.

No no. I didn get that impressiont. I just asked because I wanted to know the differences :)
Don't worry.

Let's try this again:

I found Diego's work lacking the ability to query table names and field names/types, wrote code to those things, and plan to make it available.  Think of it as being an addition to Diego's package; the two can be merged.

One thing I do not like about Squeak/Pharo in general is the whacked up way it mixes
snapshots with startup and shutdown.

I don't understand this.

If I were to spin off of a new ODBC package, it would be to fix that.

The porting to which I referred is code that runs on top of OBBC, sockets, etc.  That goes fairly well, and will spin off some collective benefits with time.  As I said some time back, the best thing I can do to help with Pharo is to get myself hooked on it, at which point I will begin writing tools that would be of general interest.

It would help a lot to have a good way to export syntax colored code (HTML??) from MC packages.

I don't understand whot this is related with ODBC :(

My concern is that I might have comments that need to be removed for release.  I live under a few non-disclosure agreements, and it would be bad to have a stray comment violate one of them.  I am pretty careful about that now, but every so often find something that would have been more wisely placed outside of my code.

The worst news I have is that when I tried to move code into the October web image, the image refused to open an ODBC connection.  In fact, the vm just crashed w/o writing diagnostic info to a file.  I retreated to my current (July) image, and have been distracted with lots of progress on some complex fronts; however, I do need to get back to trying to identify the source of the crash.

yeah, I remember :(

Bill

Re: ODBC

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Mariano,

Re startup and shutdown, please have a look at this:

I will resist the temptation to re-state a lot of it here, because we should improve the above so we can make a decision.

A syntax-colored export indeed connects with ODBC :)   I need to scan the code for anything that should not be released, and comments are likely offenders.  If I can get the whole thing as one sprawlign html document with the comments in green, it would be easier to gain confidence that the code is "clean".  The ODBC code itself will be fine, but anything containing older code needs to be checked.

Bill