classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

ODT (Open Document Text) file.

dario trussardi

Hello All,

i'm interested to work with ODT from VW7.4.

Do you have information to begin with it?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Dario Trussardi Romano

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: ODT (Open Document Text) file.

Rowan Bunning
Hi Dario,

On 25/03/2006, at 3:21 AM, Dario Trussardi wrote:

i'm interested to work with ODT from VW7.4.

I think there are a few interesting possibilities in this area but they are mostly unproven in VW with ODT at this stage. What exactly would you like to do with ODT documents in VW?

Do you want to:

a. extract information from them?
  - In addition to the XML tools shipped with VW, you might find the additional XML tools in the WithStyle Platform useful. To have a look at this you can join the WithStyle Developer Program from http://www.softwarewithstyle.com/developers

b. convert them to other formats?
  - See LibXSLT in the Cincom Public Store. XSLT is generally a handy, lightweight way of converting XML to other XML and text-based formats.

c. compile/aggregate ODT documents from various sources?
  - Depending on what you need to do you may find the DOM and XIncludes tools in WithStyle useful.

d. author them?
  - OpenOffice and other applications are hard-coded to do this.
  - If you'd like a more general-purpose XML editor that can edit other formats as well then see our XML document editor 'XML WithStyle' at www.xmlwithstyle.com. You'll need a W3C XML Schema to define the editing rules and a CSS stylesheet to define the visual layout in the editor.
  - If you want XML editing seamlessly integrated into your VW app. then the WithStyle Platform can do this.

I hope that helps.

Rowan Bunning