OFFLIST BasicScript

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Angel

I saw on your blog that you mention BasicScript.

Are you working on a Basic to JavaScript compiler/interpreter as well?

This is of more interest for me than CobolScript as there are a lot of
Basic programmers around who have written useful programs and I have
done Basic in the past as well.

A possibility to run Basic in a web page....

May I ask you for more information?

Kind regards
--Hannes

Re: OFFLIST BasicScript

Hannes Hirzel
Hello everybody,

The previous mail to Angel about BasicScript should not have gone to
the list as it is even more OT.

Howver as it is now there, thinking about it, maybe not, actually?

We may ask:
Is there a way to have something in Cuis which is more like a variant of Basic?

A subset which is easier to master? Even with a slightly different syntax?

Cuis still has 1200 classes and that is a LOT for a beginner.

And evaluating the following code snippet
CompiledMethod allInstances size
   gives
16257

16257 methods!!

For example Microsoft recently came out with SmallBasic

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/ff384126.aspx

  <citation>Microsoft Small Basic puts the fun back into computer
programming. With a friendly development environment that is very easy
to master, it eases students of all ages into the world of
programming.</citation>

From the FAQ:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/beginner/ff384239.aspx
*     Unlike QBASIC, Small Basic is based on .Net and can consume (not
produce) "Objects".
*  It supports distinct Operations, Properties and Events.
*  It doesn't have GOSUB :)
*  Small Basic is small - much smaller than VB

The mention that there are over 200 Basic dialects and give a reason
why they add another one.

I think it was (to check)

- The Small Basic language consists of just 14 keywords and should be
really for beginners.
- Still should have some objects and be a modern environment.

Note: This mail contributes to the discussion what Cuis should be used for  :-)

There is no need from my side to actually embark on this NOW. But it
is surely an important question for this upcoming year 2013.

For example Germán seems to think of web services (and me too)

Kind regards
Hannes

On 1/5/13, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Angel
>
> I saw on your blog that you mention BasicScript.
>
> Are you working on a Basic to JavaScript compiler/interpreter as well?
>
> This is of more interest for me than CobolScript as there are a lot of
> Basic programmers around who have written useful programs and I have
> done Basic in the past as well.
>
> A possibility to run Basic in a web page....
>
> May I ask you for more information?
>
> Kind regards
> --Hannes

Re: OFFLIST BasicScript

Angel Java Lopez
Haha, it's the day of OT ;-)

Trying a short answer:
- Yes, it compiles Basic to JavaScript, using JavaScript, all writted using TDD, you can see my atomic commit history at GitHub. WIP
- There are to projects: Py2Script, SimpleScript
- I want these ideas to run programs in the browser. Main use case: user can write its own games, without JavaScript, in a "more popular" language.
- I think you can do all these features in Smalltalk.

On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 10:33 AM, H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Angel

I saw on your blog that you mention BasicScript.

Are you working on a Basic to JavaScript compiler/interpreter as well?

This is of more interest for me than CobolScript as there are a lot of
Basic programmers around who have written useful programs and I have
done Basic in the past as well.

A possibility to run Basic in a web page....

May I ask you for more information?

Kind regards
--Hannes

Re: OFFLIST BasicScript

Juan Vuletich-4
H. Hirzel wrote:

> Cuis still has 1200 classes and that is a LOT for a beginner.
>
> And evaluating the following code snippet
> CompiledMethod allInstances size
>    gives
> 16257
>
> 16257 methods!!

You're not counting classes correctly. If you take Cuis4.1-1535-r
(reduced image),
Smalltalk classNames size is around 480 (instead of 650 in the standard
Cuis image).
CompiledMethod allInstances size gets down to 11569.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich