OMeta and FONC

Hannes Hirzel
On 5/13/10, Nikolay Suslov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Hannes,
>
> Thanks for the interest,

> Krestianstvo's main domain is Virtual Learning Environments, so there are
> some of the most important things to be aware while developing:
>
>    1. Collaboration at first (that's why the name Krestianstvo (Peasantry in
>    English)). Sharing all, from data to action, process, computation
> (looking
>    forward to Open Croquet/Cobalt project).
>    2. To be open as much as possible (self sustaining and modifying by
>    system itself) (looking forward to OMeta and FONC)
>    3. Multimedia oriented

Hello Nikolay,

I have loaded OMeta (see attached screen shot, I just had to click on
OMeta2.mcm and to click 'Load'.

There are some examples in the class comment of OMeta2Examples

Here's how to run these examples:

        OMeta2Examples match: 5 with: #fact.
        OMeta2Examples matchAll: '1234' with: #number.
        OMeta2Examples matchAll: 'abc123' with: #identifier.
        OMeta2Examples matchAll: #($a $b $c 1 2 3 #(4 5)) with: #structure.
        OMeta2Examples matchAll: 'howdy' with: #greeting.

I understand that these examples are all of a kind of generalised
regex matching type. They match an expression and extract something.

Do you have examples which give a bit more insight?

What is FONC?

Kind regards
Hannes

OMeta-Installation.png (24K) Download Attachment

Re: OMeta and FONC

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Hannes Hirzel-2 wrote
What is FONC?
First hit on Google: http://www.vpri.org/fonc_wiki/index.php/Main_Page.

Very, very cool stuff - Alan Kay and Cos. current project.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: OMeta and FONC

Hannes Hirzel
OK and here is the thesis by Alessandro Warth about OMeta

http://www.vpri.org/pdf/tr2008003_experimenting.pdf

And the discussion goes is on a mailing list
http://vpri.org/mailman/listinfo/ometa
(this includes the Squeak implementation)

--Hannes

On 5/13/10, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hannes Hirzel-2 wrote:
>>
>> What is FONC?
>>

> First hit on Google: http://www.vpri.org/fonc_wiki/index.php/Main_Page.
>
> Very, very cool stuff - Alan Kay and Cos. current project.
>
> Sean

Re: OMeta and FONC

Nikolay Suslov
Hannes,

I am not a developer or expert in FONC project, but as the most people in this list (thinking so) tremulously waiting for it and following its progress (like OMeta)!

FONC - Fundamentals of New computing (http://www.vpri.org/html/work/ifnct.htm, http://www.vpri.org/html/writings.php).
OMeta - an Object-Oriented Language for Pattern Matching (http://www.tinlizzie.org/ometa/), developed under the FONC.
Examples, which give more insight are here in OMeta-js (http://www.tinlizzie.org/ometa-js/), OMeta2 squeak syntax is closer to that.

So, these technologies are like a lighthouse for a fully self sustaining, open-ended, user-centric software of the future.

In the current development I am exploring OMeta, describing Croquet spaces and parsing active formulas (user scripts) in space, getting them from web-browser (Seaside-framework) or Tweak interface.
Not yet ready something to show now, but soon :)

Best regards,
Nikolay