OMeta package for pharo?

NorbertHartl
Is there a package of OMeta that can be installed in pharo. All I found was a .sar package somewhere. Maybe there is something newer, more adjusted?

thanks,

NOrbert

Re: OMeta package for pharo?

NorbertHartl
Hmm, I've could have looked at squeaksource first :) And there it is.

N.

On 29.07.2010, at 14:11, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Is there a package of OMeta that can be installed in pharo. All I found was a .sar package somewhere. Maybe there is something newer, more adjusted?
>
> thanks,
>
> NOrbert

Re: OMeta package for pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
you can also have a look at PetitParser.

Stef

On Jul 29, 2010, at 3:14 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hmm, I've could have looked at squeaksource first :) And there it is.
>
> N.
>
> On 29.07.2010, at 14:11, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> Is there a package of OMeta that can be installed in pharo. All I found was a .sar package somewhere. Maybe there is something newer, more adjusted?
>>
>> thanks,
>>
>> NOrbert

Re: OMeta package for pharo?

NorbertHartl
Well,

I was thinking about the same and I had quick peek at PetitParser. Somehow I tend to play with OMeta first. PetitParser looks promising but how is it possible to write a readable grammar if 60-80% of your grammar is the word "asParser"?

Norbert

On 31.07.2010, at 17:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> you can also have a look at PetitParser.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 29, 2010, at 3:14 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I've could have looked at squeaksource first :) And there it is.
>>
>> N.
>>
>> On 29.07.2010, at 14:11, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a package of OMeta that can be installed in pharo. All I found was a .sar package somewhere. Maybe there is something newer, more adjusted?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> NOrbert

Re: OMeta package for pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 31, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Well,
>
> I was thinking about the same and I had quick peek at PetitParser. Somehow I tend to play with OMeta first. PetitParser looks promising but how is it possible to write a readable grammar if 60-80% of your grammar is the word "asParser"?

PetitParser grammar are not full of 60%-80% with asParser. Have a look at PetitSmalltalk. What I liked
is that in 30 when could cherry pick the smalltalk grammar and get the one for coral by recomposing the little parser you do like.
Also try OMeta and when you will find it too slow come to use petitParser because petitParser is nearly the same speed as
Smacc generated one and this is not the case of OMeta. It is up to you.
And I prefer to use a language I like instead of another one.... Now what would be nice is to have an EBNF -> petitParser parser transformer.

Stef

> Norbert
>
> On 31.07.2010, at 17:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> you can also have a look at PetitParser.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jul 29, 2010, at 3:14 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm, I've could have looked at squeaksource first :) And there it is.
>>>
>>> N.

Re: OMeta package for pharo?

Lukas Renggli
> And I prefer to use a language I like instead of another one.... Now what would be nice is to have an EBNF -> petitParser parser transformer.

That exists, you "just" need to load Helvetia.

Alternatively you can use the Grammar workbench that comes with
PetitParser, it automatically adds necessary converter methods.

Lukas

> Stef
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> On 31.07.2010, at 17:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> you can also have a look at PetitParser.
>>>
>>> Stef

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: OMeta package for pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks for the update :)

>> And I prefer to use a language I like instead of another one.... Now what would be nice is to have an EBNF -> petitParser parser transformer.
>
> That exists, you "just" need to load Helvetia.
>
> Alternatively you can use the Grammar workbench that comes with
> PetitParser, it automatically adds necessary converter methods.
>
> Lukas
>

>> Stef
>>>
>>> Norbert

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: OMeta package for pharo?

NorbertHartl

On 31.07.2010, at 20:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>
>> Well,
>>
>> I was thinking about the same and I had quick peek at PetitParser. Somehow I tend to play with OMeta first. PetitParser looks promising but how is it possible to write a readable grammar if 60-80% of your grammar is the word "asParser"?
>
> PetitParser grammar are not full of 60%-80% with asParser. Have a look at PetitSmalltalk. What I liked
> is that in 30 when could cherry pick the smalltalk grammar and get the one for coral by recomposing the little parser you do like.

Sorry, but I didn't grok that sentence.

> Also try OMeta and when you will find it too slow come to use petitParser because petitParser is nearly the same speed as
> Smacc generated one and this is not the case of OMeta. It is up to you.

I don't care about speed at the moment. At the moment I think OMeta is much more powerful. If I'll find out it is not or it provides powers I don't need than the speed argument could be somehting valuable.

> And I prefer to use a language I like instead of another one.... Now what would be nice is to have an EBNF -> petitParser parser transformer.

Well, if you start to parse and analyze a different language with the parser then the phrase "prefer to use a language I like" becomes ambiguous really quick, don't you agree :) An EBNF parser would be indeed nice. That is one thing I'm dreaming off for decades now. Using helvetia might solve this. But then DSLs are just different languages, too.

If this is like the other projects for which I don't find enough time than all of my arguments are just...we'll see

thanks,

Norbert

> Stef
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>> On 31.07.2010, at 17:39, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> you can also have a look at PetitParser.
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: OMeta package for pharo?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 31, 2010, at 9:12 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> On 31.07.2010, at 20:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Jul 31, 2010, at 6:05 PM, Norbert Hartl wrote:
>>
>>> Well,
>>>
>>> I was thinking about the same and I had quick peek at PetitParser. Somehow I tend to play with OMeta first. PetitParser looks promising but how is it possible to write a readable grammar if 60-80% of your grammar is the word "asParser"?
>>
>> PetitParser grammar are not full of 60%-80% with asParser. Have a look at PetitSmalltalk. What I liked
>> is that in 30 when could cherry pick the smalltalk grammar and get the one for coral by recomposing the little parser you do like.
>
> Sorry, but I didn't grok that sentence.

should not write mail eating ice cream :)
>> What I liked is that in 30 min when could cherry pick the Smalltalk grammar
>> and get the one for Coral by recomposing the little parsers you don't like.

>> Also try OMeta and when you will find it too slow come to use petitParser because petitParser is nearly the same speed as
>> Smacc generated one and this is not the case of OMeta. It is up to you.
>
> I don't care about speed at the moment. At the moment I think OMeta is much more powerful. If I'll find out it is not or it provides powers I don't need than the speed argument could be somehting valuable.
>
>> And I prefer to use a language I like instead of another one.... Now what would be nice is to have an EBNF -> petitParser parser transformer.
>>
> Well, if you start to parse and analyze a different language with the parser then the phrase "prefer to use a language I like" becomes ambiguous really quick, don't you agree :)

I like the asParser because this is explicit. And again try and see. I tried OMeta, read the papers and I prefer to be able to compose
parser based on other ones like proposed by petit parser.

> An EBNF parser would be indeed nice.

Apparently there is one.